Need Help - Sri Lanka to Barbados

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2016, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance
Need Help - Sri Lanka to Barbados

Hi All-

Long-time reader, first post here!

I need help with a very obscure flight route. I'm traveling from Colombo, Sri Lanka (CMB) to Bridgetown, Barbados (BGI). To further complicate things, given that this is a long trip, I would like to fly Star Alliance to earn as many miles as possible from the trip. This is proving to be quite the challenge.

From my research, it looks like it would be easiest to fly Turkish Airlines to London (stops in Male and Istambul), and then fly British Airways or Virgin to Barbados and forgo miles for the sake of my own sanity. I think this would be roughly 22 hours to London and then another 8 or so to BGI - so roughly 30 total.

Another route I am looking at is CMB to New Delhi (DEL) via Air India, Air Canada to Toronto, and then Toronto to BGI. I would earn significant miles from the Air Canada legs, but this trip would be 40 hours, with a 13-hour layover in DEL.

Any advice/suggestions greatly appreciated!
Old Sep 13, 2016, 8:38 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
QR via DOH & MIA is the best option for you...

https://www.google.de/flights/#searc...sc=b;so=p;eo=e
Old Sep 13, 2016, 11:32 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Getting to MIA, CLT or NYC (JFK) on Star Alliance would maximize your Star alliance earnings and then flying on AA from MIA/CLT/JFK (seasonal) or Jet Blue(B6) from JFK. EK has probably the best routing/ease of ticketing as they codeshare with B6 CMB-DXB-JFK-BGI. in London the BGI flights are out of LGW.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 3:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
How much to you value spending lots of time connecting in airports to get *A miles v getting there much quicker on OW?
Old Sep 13, 2016, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

I would like to spend less than 48 hours traveling. The final leg I need to catch an SVG Air flight to the Grenadines. I believe it leaves around 4pm, working on that ticket now. So as long as I am in BGI for that flight, the more SA miles the better. This trip would really help get me towards start the year working towards Silver or Gold on UA.

I'm leaving CMB 1/5 and need to be in BGI by the afternoon of 1/7.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 2:41 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The AC fare also allows you to take UL to DEL (which means a shorter connection of 7h) or CX to HKG @:-)

https://www.google.de/flights/#searc...tt=o;so=p;eo=e

DEL has a airside hotel you can use to rest, they charge by the hour. Alternatively the AI lounge has rest areas.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 5:57 am

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by Traveler89
Hi All-

To further complicate things, given that this is a long trip, I would like to fly Star Alliance to earn as many miles as possible from the trip. This is proving to be quite the challenge.

Any advice/suggestions greatly appreciated!
I assume based on your location that you earn miles with UA?
Old Sep 14, 2016, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zitozac
I assume based on your location that you earn miles with UA?
Correct

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.