Recommended vaccination for Asia trip

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recommended vaccination for Asia trip

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2016, 7:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Rabies shots are serious. Are you sure this is needed? Do you plan to play with wildlife and stray dogs during your travel?
Old Sep 5, 2016, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TP Gold, *G Star Alliance
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Rabies shots are serious. Are you sure this is needed? Do you plan to play with wildlife and stray dogs during your travel?
Probably not, but in my opinion it is better to be safe than sorry, since I will be travelling for near 20 days.

I also became curious about your statement, when you say that rabies shot are serious, what exacly do you mean? Bad side-effects?
Old Sep 5, 2016, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
That is odd from my perspective, but maybe Portuguese doctors are different. I certainly wouldn't bother with a rabies vaccine for those cities unless I knew I'd be working with animals.

I've been on several month+ long trips in Southeast Asia and India and not once has a doctor ever recommended a rabies vaccine.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 10:34 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by milfweed20
First of all let me thank everyone for the huge amount of feedback I´ve received.

Having said that, I´m based in Portugal and decided to schedule a doctor's appointment that is specifically designed for travel purposes called "Consulta do Viajante".

I´ve also spoken with a few people I know that have recently been to these places and will prob only take shots for hep A, typhoid and rabies.
If you meet these recommendations: "if your activities will bring you into contact with animals such as dogs, cats, bats, or other carnivores, you should consider pre-exposure rabies vaccination, which is a 3-shot series (days 0, 7, and 21 or 28) given before travel."

I've traveled extensively for decades, Australasia (Papua New Guinea, Vanuatu, etc.), Africa, Asia, N. C. and S. America, for months at a time - and at no tie was rabies vaccine recommended by my travel clinic (part of my health maintenance organization), nor did I feel it useful to get rabvac. (If I'd been bitten or scratched by a potentially infected carnivorous mammal, I'd certainly go request treatment, however.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.