Wiki Posts
Search

How to prepay $30,000 in air travel for tax reasons? Help needed

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2016, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Question How to prepay $30,000 in air travel for tax reasons? Help needed

Hello all,

Your help with this tax reduction situation would be greatly appreciated. My company is having a good year, and to reduce profits, my accountant suggested that I prepay for air travel. I usually fly American or Delta - I live in Miami.

I'm wondering the best way to prepay $20,000 to $30,000 in air travel with one of these airlines and hopefully, get some extras for doing so (in addition to the tax savings).

I looked into the American AirPass, but I do not fly that much in a single year and I do not fly last minute or make frequent changes to my tickets.

Any creative solutions would be appreciated!
Old Jul 11, 2016, 9:05 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
You could buy (example) AA giftcards (maximum denomination $1,500). This might, or might not, qualify as an expense for tax purposes - ask your accountant.

https://giftcards.aa.com/terms.jsp
Old Jul 11, 2016, 9:19 am

If you purchase fully refundable tickets as far out as possible, you can change them as you wish. This doesn't give you a discount, put essentially prepays. If you have status in programs that waive change fees, they don't even need to be refundable.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 9:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Do any airlines front you the status when you prepay a certain amount?

I remember a few years back seeing an ad where you'd buy $10k-20k in United travel upfront and you'd have an elite status (I think Premier Executive at the time) while you traveled. Of course it was for 1 person only - you couldn't just buy $20k for your office - and I don't *think* you could prepay a 1K level, but I could be wrong.

Figured if United did it, then decent chance AA or DL also did it.

Anyone else remember this or know if it is still a possibility?

Perhaps a moot point if OP is already high-tier on any airline he'd want to fly...
Old Jul 11, 2016, 11:04 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
United has a program called Pass Plus, in which you prepay for travel, and this is exactly what you say you are looking for. However, I am not aware of a similar program with either AA or DL, but you could call them and check.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by JerryFF
United has a program called Pass Plus, in which you prepay for travel, and this is exactly what you say you are looking for. However, I am not aware of a similar program with either AA or DL, but you could call them and check.
AA has the AirPass (previously stylized as AAirPass). $30K gets you EXP status and AC membership.
AirPass landing page
Old Jul 13, 2016, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
You can always put a bunch of money into Delta Private jets or any other fractional programs. Of course this is not helpful if you don't plan on flying private
Old Jul 13, 2016, 5:11 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Another similar thread on prepay travel expenses but for hotel stay not too long ago. You may find some creative ideas from the discussion though:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...tel-stays.html
Old Jul 13, 2016, 7:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You might first ask your accountant how purchasing tickets in this tax year for use in the next tax year creates a taxable, as opposed to cash, event in this year.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA having this makes it different from others >
The option to renew or extend United PassPlus funds at the end of the contract period (Service charges may apply)
have to negotiate these things, and these are not large amounts of money
Old Jul 13, 2016, 8:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP x 1.5, DL GM, JB, HH GLD
Originally Posted by mia
You could buy (example) AA giftcards (maximum denomination $1,500). This might, or might not, qualify as an expense for tax purposes - ask your accountant.

https://giftcards.aa.com/terms.jsp
Giftcards could be a little dicey as a tax deduction if an audit ever arose. There is a $25/person/year limit on deductible "gifts."

Originally Posted by Often1
You might first ask your accountant how purchasing tickets in this tax year for use in the next tax year creates a taxable, as opposed to cash, event in this year.
It might depend on whether the business is on the cash or accrual method of accounting, but for things like travel expenses, as opposed to inventory related expenditures, it would normally be deducted in the year paid, not traveled. No guarantees, but years of experience suggests that this might work. If it were me, I might consider buying the future travel in separate amounts and in a staggered series of purchases over a period of months, not that I am recommending this course of conduct.

Last edited by beckoa; Jul 13, 2016 at 11:21 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.