Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changing planes in Europe/layovers [CDG]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2016, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Question Changing planes in Europe/layovers [CDG]

Hi....thank you in advance for your answers Sorry for the detail, but I'm hoping to get specific questions answered.

This will be our first time flying to Europe where we have to change planes in Europe before reaching our final destination and I'm trying to figure out the process we'll need to go through and am hoping we have enough time.

My outbound flights will be Baton Rouge to Atlanta to Paris (CDG) to Vienna. It will be Delta/Air France through to Vienna. I've been told (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that our luggage will go through to Vienna but we will need to go through passport control in Paris. We have 2.5 hours in Paris....will this be enough time? And am I right that we do NOT have to collect our luggage and re-check it through to Vienna?

On the return we will be flying from Nuremberg to Paris to Atlanta to Baton Rouge. Nuremberg to Paris is on HOP Regional (I have NO experience with them) and the rest is Air France/Delta. When we arrive in Paris from Nuremberg on HOP....do we have to collect and re-check luggage or just change planes? We only have 1.5 hours in Paris on the return. I know the process once we arrive in Atlanta (yuck!) so I'm aware that we have to go through passport control and collect and re-check luggage.....I'm just wondering what happens in Paris. Can anyone clue me in? Will HOP be able to check our luggage through to Atlanta? (and then to BTR) thanks!
Old Feb 12, 2016, 9:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Everything you've written/been told is correct. On the outbound you'll clear immigration at your first Schengen point (in this case Paris). You won't see your luggage until Vienna. On the return, you won't see you luggage until Atlanta, having checked it in in Nuremberg. Your times seem fine to me. Enjoy your trip!
Old Feb 12, 2016, 9:40 am
Original Poster

wonderful....thank you so much!!
Old Feb 12, 2016, 10:59 am

One small advice: When you're flying back from NUE to the USA via Paris, you will have to take a bus to change terminals there because Hop operates out of a remote Terminal, where only Regionals depart.
So while 1.5 hours should be enough for that connection, I'd advise you to keep that in mind in case you plan to get something to eat or need to use the restrooms.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

thanks....is passport control in that terminal or in the main terminal where we'll catch our Air France flight?

Originally Posted by bacchus85
One small advice: When you're flying back from NUE to the USA via Paris, you will have to take a bus to change terminals there because Hop operates out of a remote Terminal, where only Regionals depart.
So while 1.5 hours should be enough for that connection, I'd advise you to keep that in mind in case you plan to get something to eat or need to use the restrooms.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 1:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by paris27
thanks....is passport control in that terminal or in the main terminal where we'll catch our Air France flight?
There won't be any passport control other than at your gate for the flight to USA, mainly for security procedures.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

wonderful...so just to be clear....We will board in Nuremberg on HOP, arrive in Paris (CDG)....and our main concern is just getting to our next flight, correct? Which sound like it involved catching a bus to another terminal. Y'all have been so helpful...thank you! ^

Originally Posted by LondonElite
There won't be any passport control other than at your gate for the flight to USA, mainly for security procedures.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 2:20 pm
Suspended

We aim to please! Yes, it's all pretty standard what you've got going there. Just a final question...this is all on one booking/reservation, correct?
Old Feb 12, 2016, 2:25 pm
Suspended

BTW, love your part of the world. We are frequent visitors there, partly because we have a holiday home in SW Florida and often go via Houston or New Orleans for a bit of a car journey down there.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Yes....it was booked through Delta with one confirmation number and one ticket number per person. I'm also fond of London....have been there several times....most recently this summer when I took my 16 year old Goddaughter to London and Paris!
Old Feb 12, 2016, 5:18 pm

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Yes, there will. The passenger is leaving the Schengen zone at CDG, not NUE.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

So what exactly will happen when we land in Paris?

Originally Posted by JPG3392
Yes, there will. The passenger is leaving the Schengen zone at CDG, not NUE.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 12:10 am
Suspended

Yes, you're right, my mistake. You'll have passport control in CDG as you are leaving Schengen. Get off plane, transfer terminal, passport control, go to gate.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 1:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Always glad to have posters return to Flyertalk paris27 ^

We'll relocate this to the Destination Forum of France. Please follow the discussion as we relocate it. And check out the threads- we'll have lots of great insight there.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Feb 13, 2016, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Thanks....hopefully we'll have enough time!

Yes, you're right, my mistake. You'll have passport control in CDG as you are leaving Schengen. Get off plane, transfer terminal, passport control, go to gate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.