Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Business Class (on Long Haul Planes) Within Europe

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2016, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

I've been doing some research into airlines that offer business/first class services above and beyond the norm that you usually get on flights within Europe.

For example, BA's Club Europe service is no great shakes when you compare it to, say, LAN's business offering if you're flying from Madrid to Frankfurt. The LAN plane (a 787) departs from South America, so it's equipped with a long haul business class service. When it arrives at Madrid it then flies onwards to Frankfurt, and you can book the business class seats.

I've been trying to work out a list of the routes within Europe that offers business class like this, and that you can book just on those segments. I'm only including flights that regularly schedule planes offering this service. Can you add any to the routes below that I've missed out? This is only Europe I'm looking at, remember.

Between:

Madrid and Frankfurt (LAN)
Madrid and Heathrow (Iberia, their A330 plane only)
Helsinki and Heathrow (Finnair)
Munich and Manchester (Singapore Airlines)
Istanbul and Heathrow (Turkish Airlines)
Amsterdam and Gatwick (Garuda Indonesia)
Malta and Larnaca (Emirates)
Athens and Larnaca (Emirates)
Baku and Tbilisi (Qatar Airways)
Barcelona and Vienna (Air China)
Athens and Munich (Air China)
Stockholm and Vienna (Ethiopian)
Vienna and Zurich (Korean Air)
Frankfurt and Geneva (Kuwait Airways)
Paris and Rome (Kuwait Airways)

Munch and Catania with Air Malta isn't bookable in business.

The below flights exist but aren't bookable at all on those segments:

Belgrade and Sofia (Qatar Airways)
Brussels and Paris CDG (Ethiopian Airlines)
Stockholm and Rome (Ethiopian)
Copenhagen and Oslo (Pakistan Airlines)
Berlin Tegel and Paris CDG (Pakistan Airlines)

Last edited by goldencondor; Jan 27, 2016 at 12:20 pm Reason: updated lists and my 'rules' for qualifying
Old Jan 9, 2016, 2:46 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist

Ethiopian has a few, including Stockholm-Vienna.
Kuwait has a few
Korean does Vienna-Zurich
Swiss has been known to use 777-300ERs within Europe.

Air Malta does not have any long haul planes, nor does it have business. So it shouldn't be on your list.

Last edited by Adam1222; Jan 9, 2016 at 2:52 pm
Old Jan 9, 2016, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adam1222
Kuwait has a few

Air Malta does not have any long haul planes, nor does it have business. So it shouldn't be on your list.
Duly noted - thanks!

Do you know what business class is like on Ethiopian/Kuwait/Korean? Is it up to the standard of the others listed, or more akin to CE?

Last edited by goldencondor; Jan 9, 2016 at 4:02 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jan 9, 2016, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But are all of these bookable by themselves? I know there are other places in the world where an airline from outside the country or region offers connecting flights after longhaul service using the same plane, where the connecting flight is not bookable on its own, only in conjunction with that longhaul flight.

There used to be someone who offered a connecting flight LHR-BRU (London Heathrow - Brussels) in this manner, but I don't remember who offhand nor do I know whether it still exists.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 10:20 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by goldencondor
Kuwait has a few

Duly noted - thanks!

Do you know what business class is like on Ethiopian/Kuwait/Korean? Is it up to the standard of the others listed, or more akin to CE?
There are tons of trip reports about Ethiopian and Korean on the internet.
The airlines you listed vary greatly amongst each other and based on what specific aircraft is used.
Ethiopian and Korean both offer fine business products. For Ethiopian, depends on what plane.

I believe most if not all of these are bookable on their own as fifth freedom flights.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 1:13 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Swiss has not been known to use 777-300ERs within Europe because the first aircraft of this type has not been delivered yet. They will, however, be using 777-300ERs for intra-European training flights during February and March 2016.

Originally Posted by sdsearch
There used to be someone who offered a connecting flight LHR-BRU (London Heathrow - Brussels) in this manner, but I don't remember who offhand nor do I know whether it still exists.
United? I believe they used to fly LHR-BRU as a tag-on in order to keep a slot at LHR.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 7:33 am
Original Poster

But are all of these bookable by themselves? I know there are other places in the world where an airline from outside the country or region offers connecting flights after longhaul service using the same plane, where the connecting flight is not bookable on its own, only in conjunction with that longhaul flight.

Madrid and Frankfurt (LAN)
Madrid and Heathrow (Iberia, their A330 plane only)
Barcelona and Vienna (Air China)
Athens and Munich (Air China)
These are all bookable in both economy and business. None of these services offer First Class.

Munich and Manchester (Singapore Airlines)
Bookable in economy and business, but not First - not online anyway. I think they do have First on the planes, but I don't know how you book it, or even if you aren't permitted to book it for a short haul leg.

Amsterdam and Gatwick (Garuda Indonesia)
Malta and Larnaca (Emirates)
Bookable in Economy, Business and First.

Belgrade and Sofia (Qatar Airways
Not bookable in any class so I assume you can't do so, despite Qatar's route map showing the flight connecting in Sofia.

There are tons of trip reports about Ethiopian and Korean on the internet.
The airlines you listed vary greatly amongst each other and based on what specific aircraft is used.
Ethiopian and Korean both offer fine business products. For Ethiopian, depends on what plane.
Thanks!

Last edited by goldencondor; Jan 10, 2016 at 9:35 am
Old Jan 19, 2016, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Emirates have a new Fifth Freedom flight from Athens to Larnaca that might be worth a look.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 5:14 am
Original Poster

Can add a new one to this list. Finnair's service from Helsinki to London at 8am uses an A340 which has a separate business class section. Looks like a long haul style service. Journey time is 3 hrs 10 minutes. 15k avios plus £43 tax on BA.com. Full price on BA is 500 quid!
Old Jan 25, 2016, 7:43 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
TK has a bunch of intraEurope on their A330s and I think 777s too to a few destinations. CDG, LHR, AMS, FRA (sometimes) and a few others.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 2:24 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Iberia operates their A319 set up for mid-long haul flights such as MAD-TLV on some intraeuropean flights as well. I've flown it between LIS and MAD, and would compare it to older business class products with 50" pitch, good recline and leg / foot rests, 2 X 2 configuration. The class is called "Business Club".

Far better than most "Business" products flown by European airlines on intraeuropean flights with 3 X 3 across and 30-31" pitch.

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Ibe...us_A319_V2.php on SeatGuru.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
Iberia operates their A319 set up for mid-long haul flights such as MAD-TLV on some intraeuropean flights as well. I've flown it between LIS and MAD, and would compare it to older business class products with 50" pitch, good recline and leg / foot rests, 2 X 2 configuration. The class is called "Business Club".

Far better than most "Business" products flown by European airlines on intraeuropean flights with 3 X 3 across and 30-31" pitch.

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Ibe...us_A319_V2.php on SeatGuru.
Thanks. The seating does look better than CE!
Old Jan 25, 2016, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JDiver
most "Business" products flown by European airlines on intraeuropean flights with 3 X 3 across and 30-31" pitch.
Really "most"?

BA flies 2.5 + 2.5 across (ie, middle seats "shrunk" into non-use) and at least about 34" pitch in Club Europe. Are they really the only one besides co-owned Iberia??? (Gosh, even the first row or two of 3 + 3 Y behind Club Europe tends to have 34" or so pitch. That's typically where I get seated if I'm in Y on a BA connecting flight booked through AA where I'm OW Sapphire via LT Plat.)

I flew in LH business and SAS business intra-Europe last summer, and I don't remember the pitch being as bad as 31"; it was somehow a bit better than standard Y, but I don't remember how much better. I don't remember if both were 3 + 3 or only SAS.)

Last edited by sdsearch; Jan 25, 2016 at 7:45 pm
Old Jan 26, 2016, 4:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
BA flies 2.5 + 2.5 across (ie, middle seats "shrunk" into non-use) and at least about 34" pitch in Club Europe. Are they really the only one besides co-owned Iberia??? (Gosh, even the first row or two of 3 + 3 Y behind Club Europe tends to have 34" or so pitch. That's typically where I get seated if I'm in Y on a BA connecting flight booked through AA where I'm OW Sapphire via LT Plat.)
Back in the good old days, but no longer...the new BA CE seats have ca 30" pitch (row 1 a bit more). In fact the whole plane is that tight.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 5:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, Freccia Alata
BA CE Frankfurt to Heathrow operate an older Yin-Yang on BA0903 on the 10:55am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.