Reworking my Paris trip

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reworking my Paris trip

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2015, 10:06 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
It's not much a vacation if OP is going to be worried about his safety the whole time through. Certainly not unreasonable to consider other destinations.

Last year I spent a good part of my French/Belgian vacation touring the Loire Valley. Rented a car in Paris after a stay there, and checked out a lot of the big chateaux and historic sights... it was spectacular. We didn't spend much time in urban areas but there were some cities nearby. That would make for a pretty quiet and relaxing, and in all likelihood utterly safe French vacation.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 11:04 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
I would 100% take this trip as travel/security and luxuries we have today might greatly reduce in the future due to evil groups. Enjoy it while you can and the airfare is spectacular.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 12:40 pm

Take the trip. I'll be in Paris on Feb 29th. I'm going to have a great time.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 12:59 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Count me among the posters who say that you'll be fine in Paris. And if you're genuinely concerned about your safety, then you should scratch almost every other major European country off your list. Presuming you're from Boston, would you have steer visitors away from your city five months after the Boston Marathon bombings?
Old Nov 17, 2015, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the input! My greatest concern was when I heard on the news that France has declared an (at least) 3 month war on Syria -- rightfully. This, however, leads to worry that violence could potentially continue in France. I think you are all right in that March is 4 months away and it's best to wait it out before changing plans. I do appreciate all the suggestions for alternative destinations and I will look into those options as well --- thanks!
Old Nov 17, 2015, 4:43 pm

Location: Cary, NC, USA - AA Plt 3mm/DL Dia 2mm, Hil/Dia Life, Bonvoy/Titanium Life, Spire
My 2 cents worth. I went to Paris in September. If you are still worried about Paris in March, rent a car and go to Normandy or Mont St. Michel. My wife, mother and I traveled within a month of 9-11 on an international flight. Although we were the only ones in a completely empty AA 777 F class, with no glassware, no wine, no metal utensils, etc., our thinking was if we change our plans, the terrorists win.

-outoftown, posting from Salem, OH

Last edited by outoftown; Nov 17, 2015 at 4:47 pm Reason: typo
Old Nov 17, 2015, 6:22 pm

Programs: AC 50K, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by outoftown
My 2 cents worth. I went to Paris in September. If you are still worried about Paris in March, rent a car and go to Normandy or Mont St. Michel. My wife, mother and I traveled within a month of 9-11 on an international flight. Although we were the only ones in a completely empty AA 777 F class, with no glassware, no wine, no metal utensils, etc., our thinking was if we change our plans, the terrorists win.

-outoftown, posting from Salem, OH
Don't even think of not going!!!! Having said that, going out of Paris is even better idea! I can only second outoftown on Mont St.Michel! Google it, make hotel reservations and you will be telling your grandchildren about it! Trust me! Also, if you don't want to drive all the way to Normandy/Brittany (the border cuts right at St.Michel) from Paris, you can take a TGV train to Rennes and rent a car right at the railway station. From Rennes it is only a short and scenic drive to St.Michel. Have fun and send us a line upon your return!
^^^
Old Nov 18, 2015, 3:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If the OP is concerned about safety, I'd avoid the big tourist attractions (including Mont St Michel, which is spectacular but packed with tourists, as well as major chateaux) and famous cities in favor of smaller places. How about renting a car and doing a wine trip through a section of rural France?
Old Nov 19, 2015, 4:06 pm

Programs: AV,ST,OW Gold, Marriott Gold
I'm going to Paris in December. No change of plans. I will meet friends there and show them our solidarity.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 9:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by outoftown
If you are still worried about Paris in March, rent a car and go to Normandy or Mont St. Michel.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If the OP is concerned about safety, I'd avoid the big tourist attractions (including Mont St Michel, which is spectacular but packed with tourists, as well as major chateaux) and famous cities in favor of smaller places. How about renting a car and doing a wine trip through a section of rural France?
Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but Mont St Michel is almost certainly not in the top-100 list of potential targets in France. It just doesn't tick too many of the boxes of making an impact. But it is crowed in the summer and the crepes are overrated.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by PbodyPhoto
I wouldn't hesitate to leave on a trip to Paris today let alone in March! Just go to Paris and enjoy your trip.
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Go to Paris. You'll be fine.
+1
Just go and enjoy yourself.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 12:08 pm

I am a New Yorker but go to Paris often for work and play. I was in Paris during the attacks, unfortunately, and am back in Paris now as I write this.

While it is still on the forefronts of peoples' minds, of course, things are more or less "back to normal" here. Restaurants and cafes and bars are open. Parks and museums, too.

There are plenty of croissants and baguettes and cafe and wine to go around.

This place is amazing. Come here! You will be glad you did. I know I always am.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 3:44 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA Silver, Marriott + SPG Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by DavidBRKLYN
I am a New Yorker but go to Paris often for work and play. I was in Paris during the attacks, unfortunately, and am back in Paris now as I write this.

While it is still on the forefronts of peoples' minds, of course, things are more or less "back to normal" here. Restaurants and cafes and bars are open. Parks and museums, too.

There are plenty of croissants and baguettes and cafe and wine to go around.

This place is amazing. Come here! You will be glad you did. I know I always am.
Great to hear. Do not let the bad guys decide where you get to go and what you enjoy!
Old Nov 22, 2015, 6:01 pm

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Take the train to Brussels.
And now Brussels is in lock-down!!
Old Nov 22, 2015, 6:24 pm

Fly to Paris, then take the train to London?

Or just stick with the Paris plan... every other place in Western Europe will have the same risk as Paris.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.