Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reworking my Paris trip

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2015, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Reworking my Paris trip

So I was able to snag that $211 round trip Boston to Paris Air Canada fight deal which came about for a very short time a few months ago. Very sadly, with all the turmoil, Paris and France aren't the ideal travel destinations currently...

I'm thinking now instead, I will use my Paris flights as a gate city to an alternate European city for the long weekend. Do any of you have any suggestions for quick and easy travel destinations from Paris? I was thinking maybe Bologna, Italy -- looks like an interesting place....or maybe Frankfurt, Germany?

I'm very well travelled and am not picky for this short vacation....just looking to escape for a bit! Dates are 8am arrival on Thursday March 3rd into CDG and 2pm departure from CDG on Monday March 7th.

Sending the wellest of wishes to all those in France.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Marriott, National, Sixt
I'm pretty sure by March, conditions will be back to normal! I wouldn't sweat it.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 3:17 pm

Programs: Skyteam Elite+ / Hertz PC / Sixt Platinum
Paris remains a nice holiday destination- the events that took place can happen in any city. Would be a shame not to go
Old Nov 16, 2015, 3:21 pm

Programs: Miles & More, FlyingBlue, Iberia Plus Gold
This is not the right place for such a request and I am sure all the city attractions will operate normally by then.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 3:22 pm

Programs: 2015 kettle
Reworking my Paris trip

Cannes
Old Nov 16, 2015, 3:30 pm

Programs: QF LTG
I wouldn't hesitate to leave on a trip to Paris today let alone in March! Just go to Paris and enjoy your trip.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 3:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Go to Paris. You'll be fine.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG G, #1 CG 5☆
Originally Posted by SzatRyan
I'm thinking now instead, I will use my Paris flights as a gate city to an alternate European city for the long weekend. Do any of you have any suggestions for quick and easy travel destinations from Paris? I was thinking maybe Bologna, Italy -- looks like an interesting place....or maybe Frankfurt, Germany?
I was thinking maybe Versailles or even Euro Disney. No flight required.

In Paris you'll have lots of great food around you, lovely people, lots of culture ;-)

Btw, going there in spite of all this is one of the best ways to show empathy and solidarity.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 12:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Take the train to Brussels.

Southern France (Marseilles, Nice) is nice in the early spring, although most stuff in the smaller Riviera towns would be closed for the season, including hotels and restaurants.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 2:00 am
formerly dave h.

Location: Seattle - it's not Hell, but you can SEA it from here!
Programs: SkyMiles, IHG nobody, HH nobody
or the train to Stuttgart.

i'll be in Paris this Dec 4th. i'm not changing my plans. going to do everything i planned to do.

i'm just hoping the Eiffel Tower has reopened by then.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Count me with those who would not change Paris plans -

but, if you're looking for destinations you can reach easily from there, consider Amsterdam.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 5:54 am

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, A3 Gold, Alitalia Gold, Accor Platinum, HHonors Platinum
It is understandable to be worried at this point, especially if you are traveling with family and safety is paramount.

On the other hand, the higher security makes it likely this will be as safe as it ever was (and definitely safer than say, before November 13). I would NOT cancel if at all possible - the best way for us to show solidarity and support in the fight against these people is by carrying on as normal.

London is less than a 2 hour ride away on the Eurostar. You could perhaps also get a short flight to northern Italy, for example Venice, Florence, Genoa, which should be quite cheap as it is the low season.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 6:52 am

Programs: TK*G, KL, AB
Personally I wouldn't consider London, Brussels or Amsterdam or any other major city any safer than Paris, all these countries are probably "on the list" and the capital is the obvious target. So perhaps you could visit smaller towns or rural areas?

With that said, I don't feel unsafe in Amsterdam, and I wouldn't cancel a booked trip to Paris. The odds of being affected are still miniscule compared to, say, being in a car accident.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 6:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by SzatRyan
Very sadly, with all the turmoil, Paris and France aren't the ideal travel destinations currently...

... Dates are 8am arrival on Thursday March 3rd into CDG and 2pm departure from CDG on Monday March 7th.
I suggest you take a deep breath and focus on reality. Your trip is FIVE MONTHS away. You have a far greater chance of coming to harm in your home town - Boston - that you do in Paris.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 8:48 am

Why do you have to decide now? I think you could wait and get a feel for how things are going to be in the future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.