Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Europe award tickets for 5

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2015, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Hello! First time posting but I've been lurking for awhile. I just started accumulating points and am trying to get a trip for my family figured out. Our dream would be a 3 weeks to cover Paris, Italy and Greece. Could someone please guide me on which airline might have the best award seat possibilities for 5? I would like to start building those miles as soon as possible. My children are 5,7 & 9. We are willing to connect pretty much anywhere as we live in the Midwest and will not have direct access. I have over 400k UR, 200k TYR but am open to any suggestions and can accumulate points quickly with my business expenses. Also, which hotel chain would you build point to? Thank you so much for your help!!
Old Jun 14, 2015, 11:38 am
In memoriam

IMHO, you are not asking the right, initial question which is am I going to be able to get five award tickets on the same flight on the same airline to very popular destinations such as Paris?

Answer: probably not. You may have to split up the family and use two or more flights.

Also, more info is needed. When do you want to go. Summer much tougher than, say, Fall or early Spring.

There is no one "best" program to get miles in. As with many things it all depends. Although many would say there is a "worst" program--Delta.

Since you don't appear to have any AA miles might be a good idea to start applying with Citibank for AA cards--to increase your flexibility.

And, consider, the tough part of award tickets is usually to get over the Atlantic. Think about non-award options for internal Europe travel. Car rental, trains, discount airlines etc.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 2:58 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
It's not impossible if you're flying coach. You will have to probably book separate flights then change them later as availability opens up.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by biggestbopper
Although many would say there is a "worst" program--Delta.
+1. However, one might observe that Air France's program might be even worse.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 11:23 pm

The only good option is to look outside the traditional programs and get those miles/points that can be booked directly as cash. Then you might have a chance with 5 people.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 12:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by biggestbopper
IMHO, you are not asking the right, initial question which is am I going to be able to get five award tickets on the same flight on the same airline to very popular destinations such as Paris?

Answer: probably not. You may have to split up the family and use two or more flights.
I disagree with this. Yes, you will need to be flexible with dates and routings, but there is almost always a solution. We have four children and regularly find business class availability between places such as Europe-US, Europe-South Africa, etc. Some of these were booked about four weeks ahead of travel.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I disagree with this. Yes, you will need to be flexible with dates and routings, but there is almost always a solution. We have four children and regularly find business class availability between places such as Europe-US, Europe-South Africa, etc. Some of these were booked about four weeks ahead of travel.
Can I ask which ailrine you found to have the most availability? ALthough we would love to see the destinations I listed I am open to creative routing options just to get overseas!

Thank YOU!
Old Jun 15, 2015, 2:26 pm

It really depends which month you are after. If it is for this summer then probably impossible on the same flight however in the fall there is more chance
Old Jun 15, 2015, 2:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Familyof5
Can I ask which ailrine you found to have the most availability? ALthough we would love to see the destinations I listed I am open to creative routing options just to get overseas!

Thank YOU!
Most recently we redeemed miles for six business seats on UA from Europe-US (to IAH/MSY, back from FLL/EWR to LHR), around Christmas last year BA to JNB, AC to YYZ/LAX, LH to DXB/AUH, and BA to HKG. The key is flexibility and creative routings. I've found UA to be much easier than BA, for example.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.