Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SEA to RDU with miles

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2015, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

SEA to RDU with miles

Hi! I'm new to the points game and am seeking some advice. I need to fly SEA to RDU June 19 and return June 21. I have 55,000 Avios, 55,000 AA miles, and 30,000 AMEX points, and still can find a ticket! Any suggestions would be so appreciated!!!
Old May 13, 2015, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Welcome to FT!

What have you done so far to find a ticket? If you've checked aa.com, delta.com, and aeroplan.com for award seats and found nothing at rates you are willing to pay, then you may just have to pay cash or redeem your MR points as cash to purchase a regular ticket.

Since AA, Aeroplan (an MR transfer partner whose miles can be redeemed on UA), and Delta all offer one-way awards now, I would search separately for the outbound and the return flights on each program's website.
Old May 13, 2015, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

guv1976 Thank you so much for your response! I have only checked the AA and BA websites, searching legs of the journey (connecting in CLT, MIA, PHL, JFK, ORD) as well as simply SEA - RDU.

I didn't know that Delta and Aeroplan were options for me. Is that with my AMEX points?
Old May 13, 2015, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by Princessswiper
guv1976 Thank you so much for your response! I have only checked the AA and BA websites, searching legs of the journey (connecting in CLT, MIA, PHL, JFK, ORD) as well as simply SEA - RDU.

I didn't know that Delta and Aeroplan were options for me. Is that with my AMEX points?
Yes. Aeroplan (for United) and Delta are both Amex MR transfer partners.

If you can't find suitable award flights in either or both directions, don't forget to check fares at southwest.com. Southwest's fares will not show up on searches at sites like Expedia, Orbitz, etc.
Old May 13, 2015, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Is there any advantage to waiting until the last minute? Do airlines ever release reward flights if they don't sell out planes?
Old May 13, 2015, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Princessswiper
Is there any advantage to waiting until the last minute? Do airlines ever release reward flights if they don't sell out planes?
They do sometimes, but it's not predictable. And keep in mind that you're talking about Father's Day weekend. Plus, if you book an award flight within 21 days of departure date, AA will hit you with a $75 close-in redemption fee unless you have elite status. BA has no such fee, even for redeeming on AA flights. Not sure about Aeroplan and Delta.
Old May 14, 2015, 12:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Unfortunately no carrier serves this route nonstop, although this changes October 1st Connections add to the cost of avios.

Have you checked cities outside of RDU within a several hour drive?
Old May 15, 2015, 8:02 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
The biggest problem is going to be getting out of and back to Seattle on a weekend during peak cruise season.

This is a city pair in which some round trip (cash) fares are roughly 2 x the one way fares. I can see SEA-xORD-RDU on the 19th (AA) for $243 one way. Even if there were SAAver seats available that day (there aren't as of now) that would only work out to less than 2c/mile in redemption value, a metric most of us would feel is poor value.

Coming back on the Sunday, the one way price is $370 or more, so if there were SAAver seats available then, the value per mile would be a little higher. Or, worst case, you don't have enough money to purchase a ticket, you could redeem 30,000 AA miles for an "EverydAAy" ticket. Terrible value, but if you don't have the cash, better than nothing.

So one option to consider is just buying a seat for the outbound leg, and waiting to see if a SAAver seat comes open for the return, or else either pay cash or redeem 30K miles for the higher-priced award seat if it doesn't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.