Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help with NYC-Africa, Feb or Mar 2016

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2015, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Help with NYC-Africa, Feb or Mar 2016

Looking to go to Eastern or Southern Africa during Pres Week or Easter Week school breaks.
Need 4 bus class seats.
Flexible on destinations - S. Africa, Botswana, Kenya, Tanzania, but not on dates.
Must be 02/11 - 02/20 or 21, or 03/17 - 03/26 or 27 (Feb preferred.)

360k in AA.
200K in BA.
250K in UA.

50K in AF.

250K in Chase UR.
220K in City TY.
106K in Amex MR.

Started searching with S. Africa on NYC-JNB route.
Having a lot of difficulty finding availability in Star or OneWorld.
UA is showing MS through Cairo - but that's phantom, and not actually there.

Also open to DAR and NBO.

Thanks!!!
Old Apr 24, 2015, 1:55 pm

Have you looked for anything on your own? Have you considered using an Award Booking service?
Old Apr 24, 2015, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by farbster
Have you looked for anything on your own? Have you considered using an Award Booking service?
i have done both.

I've looked at a number of options, but haven't been able to come up with an itinerary that works. UA seemed awesome with MS availability, but that proved to be illusory.
There doesn't seem to be anything else available. I held 3 tickets on NYC-jnb on UA for 3/17, but when I canceled them to rebook them and get me two more days, they never came back. Other than that, Star doesn't offer anything else.

OW can be routed through DOH on QR, but getting availability and reasonable
(non-overnight) connections are difficult.

And i don't have much in Sky team, unless I transfer more Citi to AF.

I guess at this point, I am wondering if I abandon JNB and switch to Tanzania instead, what would be the ideas for DAR or JRO?

As far as using an award booking service - yes, I've posted a request too. But award bookers won't necessarily try to look for multiple destinations and multiple dates.

thanks.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 3:09 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
I think you're fighting a seriously uphill battle trying for 4 business seats at one time, and trying for rifle-shot dates only makes matters worse. Could your group be split up into 2+2 so you could use different carriers?

I'd suspect DAR or NBO to be even harder than JNB, as there are fewer flights to both from western Europe daily.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
2/11 4 seats in J JFK-BRU-NBO on SN
2/20 4 seats in J NBO-CAI-(23 hr layover)-JFK, 2/21 arrival (I don't think this is phantom)
or
2/21 4 seats in J NBO-IST-BRU-(overnight)-JFK, 2/22 arrival
Old Apr 25, 2015, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Gardyloo
I think you're fighting a seriously uphill battle trying for 4 business seats at one time, and trying for rifle-shot dates only makes matters worse. Could your group be split up into 2+2 so you could use different carriers?

I'd suspect DAR or NBO to be even harder than JNB, as there are fewer flights to both from western Europe daily.
I agree. Best bet might well be to split into different flights/carriers, though I realize that's a drag. If being on the same flights is an absolute priority, you also could see if the same flights have Y or F award seats available in addition to J, then keep checking to see if more J open up and ditch the Y for that.

Also, maybe check into availability into CPT, if for a given flight is not the same plane as JNB.

By the way, be aware that BA can add high $$ fees onto award tickets.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 9:55 pm

Going all the way to Africa for only 6-7 nights on the ground?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.