Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Flying over the pacific every year or 2.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2015, 2:31 am
Original Poster

I've been back and forth LAX <> SGN several times in the past couple years and I will likely keep it up at least once every 2 years. Was late in the game accumulating Asia Miles on CX, but have bumped up to about 14k miles. I also have AMEX rewards at about 46k. Looking for options on a step above economy for a one way flight in the immediate future ( mid may ) and what I should be doing long term to keep that trip over the pacific as painless as possible.

I stuck with Cathay as I had the best experience with them so far, but hoping some folks here know how jumpin that huge puddle SHOULD be done.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

brake Welcome to FT

For upgrades the general rule is you can only upgrade a flight marketed (flight number) and operated (metal) by the airline of your frequent flyer programme (no codeshares) with your airlines upgrade instrument (e.g. SWU, miles) or complementary with status (if applicable). All subject to the t&c's of your FFP and your paid ticket. There are some limited cross airline exceptions with a few airlines, but these tend to require expensive base fares. With non USA based airlines always expect to fly in the class you buy. It is only USA based airlines who give upgrades regularly by ff miles/status benefits/copay $$.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Can't offer any advice for the immediate future, but for the long term get as many AA credit cards with initial spending bonuses as you can, and if flying domestically do so on AA. You can use your AA miles for very nice CX J and F flights, particularly if you plan your award travel far ahead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.