Where to find information about...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 13, 2015, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Topic Index

Links to FlyerTalk's major forum categories are in the blue website header. Look at either the JUMP TO FORUMS area, or click the FORUM menu. Each major category hosts specialized forums dedicated to discussions of particular topics. Some of the most requested or hardest to find topics are listed below:

–A–

Abbreviations, acronyms on FT > HELP menu or dedicated Glossary link in page footer
AirBnB, VRBO, etc. > Miles and Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Non-hotel Lodging Services including Airbnb and VRBO forum
Airline codes (many, but not all) > HELP menu or dedicated Glossary link in page footer
Airlines > Miles & Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs category
Airport codes > HELP menu or dedicated Airport Code Lookup link in page footer
Airports (connecting, layovers, terminals, ground transport, etc.) > Destinations > Region category > Country or Major City forum (where airport is located)

–B–
Baggage rules (maximum sizes/weights/pieces) > Miles & Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs category (select ticketed airline)
Baggage - also see Luggage listing

–C–
Car rental > Miles & Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services category
Card churning > Miles & Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs category
Checkpoints > Travel & Dining > Travel Safety/Security category
Connections, airport transits, MCTs, layovers > Destinations > Region category > Country or Major City forum (where airport is located)
Coupon Connection > The Coupon Connection and related issues in Technical Support and Feedback (read wiki post)
Credit cards > Miles & Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs category
Cruises > Travel & Dining > Cruises
Customs/immigration > Travel & Dining > Travel Safety/Security category

–D–
Debit cards > Miles & Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs category

–E–
Expedia, Travelocity, etc. (online travel agents) > Travel & Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies forum

–F–
Feedback to Admin > Technical Support and Feedback Forum
FlyerTalk Rules > HELP menu or FORUM menu

–G–
General travel questions/discussion > Travel & Dining > TravelBuzz forum
Gift cards, prepaid cards > Miles & Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs category
Glossary > HELP menu or dedicated Glossary link in page footer
Ground transport (taxis, uber, limo service, buses, not rental cars) > Destinations > Region category > Country or Major City forum

–H–
Hotels > Miles & Points > Hotels and Loyalty Programs category

–I–
Immigration/customs > Travel & Dining > Travel Safety/Security category
Insurance > Travel & Dining > Travel Products forum
ITA Software tips, advice > Travel & Dining > Travel Tools forum

–J–
Jargon, acronyms, abbreviations, slang > Help menu or dedicated Glossary Link in page footer

–K–
Kayak, Orbitz, etc. (online travel agents) > Travel & Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies forum

–L–
Luggage advice (brands, types) > Travel & Dining > Travel Products forum

–M–
Manufactured spending > Miles & Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs category
Matrix ITA Software - tips, advice > Travel & Dining > Travel Tools forum

–N–
Name Problems on travel documents, passports, other IDs > Travel & Dining > Travel Safety/Security category

–O–
Off-topic, non-travel questions/discussion > OMNI > a restricted-access forum for longtime, contributing members; non-travel threads started by members who are not yet eligible for OMNI will be locked or deleted
Online travel agencies (Expedia, orbitz, etc.) > Travel & Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies forum

–P–
Passport questions/problems > Travel & Dining > Travel Safety/Security category
Pets (traveling with) > Travel & Dining > Special Interest Travel category
Prepaid cards > Miles & Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs category

–Q–

–R–
Rental car questions/discussion > Miles & Points > Car Rental Programs/Partners category
Ride Services (e.g. Uber, Lyft, etc.) > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Ride Services, Including Uber and Lyft forum
Rules (FlyerTalk) > Help or Forum

–S–
Safety while traveling > Travel & Dining > Travel Safety/Security category
Suggestions to Community Director or Admin > Community > The Suggestion Box

–T–
Taxis, limos, buses, etc. (ground transport, not rental cars) > Destinations > Region category > Country or Major City forum (see Ride Services listing)
Technical support (FlyerTalk site functionality)> Technical Support and Feedback Forum
Terminology, acronyms, abbreviations > Help menu or dedicated Glossary Link in page footer
Transits, transfers, connection times > Destinations > Region category > Country or Major City forum (where airport is located)
Travel miscellany - travel topics that don't fit any other forum > Travel & Dining > TravelBuzz forum
Travel products > Travel & Dining > Travel Products forum
Travel Tools for searches, comparisons, availability checkers, tracking, organizing > Travel & Dining > Travel Tools forum
Trip/travel Insurance > Travel & Dining > Travel Products forum

–U–

–V–
Visas (for foreign entries, immigration) > Destinations > Region category > Country forum
Visas - tool IATA TIMATIC (what the airlines use for guidance on whether you will fly or not)
VRBO, Airbnb, etc. > Miles and Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Non-hotel Lodging Services including Airbnb and VRBO forum

–W–

–X–

–Y–

–Z–

Updated 10 Jul 2017 - JDiver
Print Wikipost

Where to find information about...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2018, 5:53 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by tillytoo9
Does FT offer help/recommendation on making changes to flights and consequences (for changes) made to flights? I've read through this site and the airline site...still need help.
if you have questions about a specific airline policy, post in the forum for that airline. Note that for most airlines/airfares changes incur a fee of $100-200 plus a difference in fare. If you choose not to fly a segment on a ticket, all other legs of the ticket will be canceled
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:07 am

Programs: BA Executive Club/Avios
Newbie advice please

Hi, first post here and a newcomer to 'cashing in' under the BA Exec/Avios reward program. Where is the best place (thread) to seek advice on how to get the most out of current points balance in conjunction with a companion voucher? TIA
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by jlh6666
Hi, first post here and a newcomer to 'cashing in' under the BA Exec/Avios reward program. Where is the best place (thread) to seek advice on how to get the most out of current points balance in conjunction with a companion voucher? TIA
If you have questions about how to use your BA Executive Club points, I'd suggest starting with the BA Executive Club forum. You can start with Your guide to spending Avios | 2018 edition
You can also search for "companion voucher."
Old Mar 15, 2018, 2:06 pm

a bit lost, sorry. Information about IATA fare calculation

Hi,
I have just registered and am trying to find my way around (like a lot of the people before me I guess).

I am trying to find the IATA YY fare from IAH to MEL (maybe via AUK, as there isn't a direct flight). I can't see a way to get that without registering on a site like expertflyer.com, which you have to pay for (I have used up my 5 free days already).

Could someone please direct me to a place where I can find out for free, or tell me what the fare should be?
Old Mar 15, 2018, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eudofarkencrog
I have just registered and am trying to find my way around (like a lot of the people before me I guess).

I am trying to find the IATA YY fare from IAH to MEL (maybe via AUK, as there isn't a direct flight). I can't see a way to get that without registering on a site like expertflyer.com, which you have to pay for (I have used up my 5 free days already).

Could someone please direct me to a place where I can find out for free, or tell me what the fare should be?
What is a IATA YY fare? Full economy? Ask a real live travel agent?

IAH-AUK-MEL is a bit of a diversion. Via Auckland (AKL), New Zealand less so.

SYD has more flights from USA than MEL

Airlines that fly USA/Canada to/from Australia (not from all airports to all airports)
  • American Airlines AA (LAX - SYD) [OneWorld Alliance] (AS partner)
  • Air Canada AC (YYR – SYD BNE. YYR-MEL from 1 Dec 2017 to 1 Feb 2018) [Star Alliance]
  • Air New Zealand NZ (LAX SFO IAH YVR via AKL) [Star Alliance]
  • Air Tahiti Nui TN (LAX via Tahiti. Last segments on codeshares) (AA & DL partner)
  • Delta DL (LAX – SYD) (VA & AS partner) [Skyteam Alliance]
  • Fiji Airways FJ (LAX SFO HNL – BNE SYD MEL ADL via Fiji) (QF, AA & AS partner)
  • Hawaiian HA (HNL – BNE SYD) (AA & VA partner)
  • Jetstar JQ JQ (HNL – SYD BNE)
  • Qantas QF (LAX SFO JFK DFW HNL YVR*– BNE SYD MEL) [OneWorld Alliance] (AS partner) (MEL SFO from 1st Sept 2018) {* seasonal}
  • United UA (LAX SFO IAH*– SYD MEL, IAH-SYD ) [Star Alliance] (*IAH-SYD from 18 Jan 2018)
  • Virgin Australia VA (LAX – BNE SYD MEL) (codeshares with AC*) (Delta & AC** partner) [*= some routes in 2017, ** ffp late 2017(may not have happened)]
And others via Asia & Middle East
Old Mar 15, 2018, 6:44 pm

[QUOTE=Mwenenzi;29529553]What is a IATA YY fare? Full economy? Ask a real live travel agent?

ah, yes. I'm had misremembered the code for Aukland, thanks.
An IATA YY fare is basically full fare economy ticket. The backstory (which I should have mentioned) is that I get an allowance to travel home from Houston, which is based on the IATA fare, which in my case I would like to be as high as possible. I could ask an actual travel agent, but I don't think it is very nice to get them to do the work if I am not going to buy a ticket from them. I was hoping there was a way to look it up myself.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
What is a IATA YY fare? Full economy? Ask a real live travel agent?
ah, yes. I'm had misremembered the code for Auckland, thanks.
An IATA YY fare is basically full fare economy ticket. The backstory (which I should have mentioned) is that I get an allowance to travel home from Houston, which is based on the IATA fare, which in my case I would like to be as high as possible. I could ask an actual travel agent, but I don't think it is very nice to get them to do the work if I am not going to buy a ticket from them. I was hoping there was a way to look it up myself.
I did think that was the reason. You should be able to get a business class ticket for that money.
Do you have access to your corporate travel agent?
Old Mar 15, 2018, 7:36 pm

That would be my hope, but I don't know if the allowance they are giving me is the full fare ticket. Unfortunately, the corporate travel agent is the one supplying the price for the allowance, so I wanted to look elsewhere.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That would be my hope, but I don't know if the allowance they are giving me is the full fare ticket. Unfortunately, the corporate travel agent is the one supplying the price for the allowance, so I wanted to look elsewhere.
Phone United and ask for full Y pricing IAH-SYD.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 1:00 pm

Hi, me again.
I was able to go onto expertflyer and obtain the IATA fares from MEL - IAH return, as well as the IAH - MEL return. However, I cannot seem to do this for a specific date, as I need them from 1/1/2018 as well as 1/1/2017. Is it possible to obtain what these fares were in the past?
Old Apr 13, 2018, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by mspotkaeff
Hi, me again.
But with a different screen name?
Adam1222 likes this.
Old May 30, 2018, 4:12 am

Is there a blog/link where I can find recent stopover rules for the different airlines?
Old May 30, 2018, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by jptravels4fun
Is there a blog/link where I can find recent stopover rules for the different airlines?
Each fare has its own rules, not each airline. If you look at the fare rules on something like ITA Matrix, there will be a description.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 9:40 am

Programs: United
Question Mileage Run mentor (or group)

Not quite sure if there is a name for it

What I was actually looking for was a group or maybe someone who wouldn't mind having someone to do a Mileage Run with a newbie like myself or perhaps connect with a group of people who do this as a group. Traveling on Mileage Runs and gaining mileage points for executive status etc. Can someone direct me to the correct Forum.

I can fly out either from San Jose or San Francisco (I live in Monterey, but its a small airport).

I would eventually like to do something similar to this: htt.ps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1pk2FJBhcg&t=19s

Very Respectufully,

Rick T
Old Jun 16, 2018, 10:52 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
The only decent mileage runs these days from the Bay Area are on Alaska Airlines, which still accrues miles based on distance when on Alaska metal, and, to a limited sense, some of their partners (Qantas accrues 100% miles plus any elite bonus). You could fly to the east coast or Hawaii 15 times, accrue 75,000 elite qualifying miles, and be a top tier flyer there. Alaska does have some east coast service from San Jose including daytime nonstops SJC-EWR and SJC-JFK, but only the daytime JFK flight would allow a same-day return. SFO offers a lot more options and nonstop destinations, and OAK offers some Hawaii flights in addition to west coast flights. Occasionally you might be able to make a connection in SEA, LAX or SAN work for extra miles, before continuing onto the east coast. Just depends what the fare allows and when you depart.

If you intend to stay a United flyer, an entry level flyer there would accrue 5 elite qualifying miles per dollar spent, so a $300 east coast ticket would bring in about 1,250 miles (compared to 5,000 at Alaska). With Alaska top tier elite status you could bring in over 11,000 redeemable miles. You don't see a lot of AA or UA mileage runners these days unless it's end of year and they're short some miles to requalify. AA had a bunch of $100 range round trips to the east coast this week (PIT, BDL come to mind) but they'd only bring in 250 miles (5 miles per dollar spent pre-tax which would be around a $50 base fare).

I've done AA mileage runs over the years with a few folks from Northern CA but now I pretty much do at least a one night hotel stay or a weekend. You might post on the Mileage Run Discussion forum once you decide what airline you'll be flying with, and you might find some interest there among other Bay Area flyers.
https://www.flyertalk.com//forum/mil...iscussion-627/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.