Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FF Miles for European Rail Travel?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2015, 5:49 am
Original Poster

FF Miles for European Rail Travel?

Are there any FF or points programs that allow a U.S. resident to redeem points or miles for European train travel?
Old Mar 2, 2015, 3:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
AFAIK none currently. At one point waaaaay back, TWA had some award packages that included travel on the Orient Express train.

Note that most FF programs let anyone join, regardless of where your legal residence (or citizenship) is located, although there are a few programs that have slightly different status requirements depending on the official address associated with your FF account.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

I knew that there used to be some kind of arrangement with a FF program that I was in. I finally figured out that it was Continental Onepass, but that actually only included earning miles on SNCF, not redemptions, as far as I can tell.

I also think that the British version of Amex Membership Rewards includes or used to include some kind of rail redemption, but that doesn't help me. Oh well.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 10:23 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Avios (not BA or IB Avios, but a third program called just Avios) can be used for Eurostar trains, essentially London - Paris/Brussels/lots of French destinations beyond Paris. You can transfer Avios among the generic Avios program, BA, and IB. I think you have to be a resident of UK or South Africa to join the generic Avios program, but I also believe I read that you can get around that.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Virgin Atlantic also lets you redeem for Eurostar.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

dukerau, I actually just now played around on the BA website and, lo and behold, on the "Book Experiences" page, I see the opportunity to do a London-Paris roundtrip on the Eurostar (with a metro pass) for the low, low price of 24,200 Avios.

It is actually labeled as a "budget independent rail tour."
Old Mar 6, 2015, 1:17 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG & Marriott Gold, CC Silver
Originally Posted by GOP_Tiger
Are there any FF or points programs that allow a U.S. resident to redeem points or miles for European train travel?
This is the kind of redemption that points from cards like Capital One Venture and Barclay Arrival are for - the rates aren't that high and they are travel expenses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.