Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Commuting between SFO and NYC for next 6 months - best carrier to get upgrades often?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Commuting between SFO and NYC for next 6 months - best carrier to get upgrades often?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2015, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Did you ask a representative from UA or SAA? Are you sure that he/she understood that you were looking at UA operated domestic flights (presumably UA flight numbers and ticketed on UA stock) and SAA miles?
It was a UA rep.

I gave her my conf # for flight this weekend. I then told her I would like to use South African voyager miles. She told me 15K of voyager miles + $75 would get me an upgrade to businessFirst on this flight. As it's SFO - JFK there isn't first class, it's the premium service aircraft.

I asked was there an actual seat available for this upgrade, she said yes, there was one seat available. This was Tues I think, for a flight on the weekend.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by devrc
I was told by UA a few days ago that for my U fare (discount economy) ticket in a few days, I could use 15K of my voyager miles + $75 to get an upgrade to business and there was 1 seat available to do that.
Its possible that the agent thought you were redeeming UA miles for the mileage upgrade. $75 plus 15k UA miles on M/E/U fare appears just about right. If your fare bucket is in L, then co-pay/mileage requirement would be $250 plus 20k UA miles each way on the p.s. route -- imho that's not a good use of cash and UA miles.

If traveling in business class is important to you (e.g., in order to survive the 3x/month trips), I'd try to book business class on Jet Blue when their $599 fare is available. Otherwise, as other poster said, AA looks much better (and AA's mileage upgrade cost seems more reasonable, i.e., lower co-pay and mileage requirements for deep discount coach fares).
Old Jan 9, 2015, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by deltame
Its possible that the agent thought you were redeeming UA miles for the mileage upgrade. $75 plus 15k UA miles on M/E/U fare appears just about right. If your fare bucket is in L, then co-pay/mileage requirement would be $250 plus 20k UA miles each way on the p.s. route -- imho that's not a good use of cash and UA miles.

If traveling in business class is important to you (e.g., in order to survive the 3x/month trips), I'd try to book business class on Jet Blue when their $599 fare is available. Otherwise, as other poster said, AA looks much better (and AA's mileage upgrade cost seems more reasonable, i.e., lower co-pay and mileage requirements for deep discount coach fares).
Okay thanks very much for this info and your time. Appreciate it.

Do you have any opinion on AA versus United's product in economy for this route?
Old Jan 9, 2015, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by devrc
Do you have any opinion on AA versus United's product in economy for this route?
No, I have not flown AA in coach on this route so I don't have first hand experience to provide a direct comparison. I did travel in E+ on UA p.s. several years ago and it was okay (I remembered this because I also lived thru a subsequent flight on AA in regular coach for TPAC, i.e., traveling to Asia, due to a missed connection UA was nice enough to send me over to AA. I didn't feel too bad for that long haul AA flight experience, because I didn't have other choice at that time).

One thing (in favor of UA) you might want take into consideration besides the frequency of service, is probably the same day change (SDC) policy on UA. UA defines "same day" as +/- 24 hour window of the flight (more generous than other legacy airlines) if there is space available (in the same fare bucket of your booked flight), and once you reach Gold or higher elite status there is no fee to change your flight in this manner. You can check the UA forum for the particulars on how best to take advantage of SDC.

Last edited by deltame; Jan 9, 2015 at 11:27 pm
Old Jan 10, 2015, 12:04 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Granted I am biased, but I'd argue for Virgin. Absent any specials (and Virgin has run some impressive specials) you basically get a straight 10-11% back from the FF program, and that goes to 16-18% with the credit card. You've got 6x daily non-stops and 2x daily one-stop/no-change-of-plane flights from SFO to one of the NYC-area airports. Their advance fares are hard to beat in their Main Cabin (you're mostly looking at about $170 each way).

IMHO the strongest argument for them is the fact that they're unlikely to engage in any major devaluations and what-have-you (everyone else is switching to badly devalued models from what I can tell, with AA only being a bit behind the others due to the merger). There's also the fact that if you fly enough to somehow get into Gold (which isn't cheap, but you're flying enough that it could happen depending on how far in advance you book) you can add another 10-11%...so Gold plus the CC gets you to a bit under 30% of your value back absent any specials.

Something also worth noting is that while VX is a bit thin on the complementary upgrades, their premium economy product is about as good as "First Class" on any of the other lines, and their First Class product is flat-out amazing (and there are some deals to be had if you're willing to connect somewhere along the line). In all sincerity, my view is that chasing status and whatnot on the legacies really isn't worth what you get.

Failing VX, JetBlue does seem to be the second-best option out there airline-wise. The problem with both United and AA is that they're down to 31" in a lot of the transcon coach seats, while JetBlue is still at 33" even after the latest shifts if I'm not mistaken, while Virgin is at 32".

(For the record, I do not think I've ever flown United or AA, and though I could probably qualify a few USAir flights as technically being AA now...that would have been back in the 90s).

Last edited by GrayAnderson; Jan 10, 2015 at 12:19 am
Old Jan 10, 2015, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
Granted I am biased, but I'd argue for Virgin. Absent any specials (and Virgin has run some impressive specials) you basically get a straight 10-11% back from the FF program, and that goes to 16-18% with the credit card. You've got 6x daily non-stops and 2x daily one-stop/no-change-of-plane flights from SFO to one of the NYC-area airports. Their advance fares are hard to beat in their Main Cabin (you're mostly looking at about $170 each way).

IMHO the strongest argument for them is the fact that they're unlikely to engage in any major devaluations and what-have-you (everyone else is switching to badly devalued models from what I can tell, with AA only being a bit behind the others due to the merger). There's also the fact that if you fly enough to somehow get into Gold (which isn't cheap, but you're flying enough that it could happen depending on how far in advance you book) you can add another 10-11%...so Gold plus the CC gets you to a bit under 30% of your value back absent any specials.

Something also worth noting is that while VX is a bit thin on the complementary upgrades, their premium economy product is about as good as "First Class" on any of the other lines, and their First Class product is flat-out amazing (and there are some deals to be had if you're willing to connect somewhere along the line). In all sincerity, my view is that chasing status and whatnot on the legacies really isn't worth what you get.

Failing VX, JetBlue does seem to be the second-best option out there airline-wise. The problem with both United and AA is that they're down to 31" in a lot of the transcon coach seats, while JetBlue is still at 33" even after the latest shifts if I'm not mistaken, while Virgin is at 32".

(For the record, I do not think I've ever flown United or AA, and though I could probably qualify a few USAir flights as technically being AA now...that would have been back in the 90s).
Thanks for this info. I just realized that I SAA and JetBlue have a code share partnership that may make JetBlue attractive. Will call and see how I can use my voyager points with them.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 9:34 am
Original Poster

So on JetBlue getting an upgrade to MINT is pretty steep ($600 or lots of JetBlue points). But I do like that if you hit Mosaic you get free changes/cancel flights. That's huge for flexibility.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 12:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
I'm pretty sure the information the UA rep gave you is inaccurate. I don't see UA having any way to deduct SAA miles. Any use of SAA miles would have to go through SAA.
Also, don't count on channel 9 actually being turned on on the flight. It's at the "captain's discretion." To me, it's definitely not a reason to fly UA, more like oh I'm flying UA today, great might get to listen to channel 9.

Agree that AA's program is the best these days. Like a previous poster said though, VX really gives a nice rebate on fares through it's Elevate program - your points are 10-15% of the fare to book future travel. Elites on VX get comp upgrades to Main Cabin Select (premium economy) within 24 hours of flight. And they've got 4 or 5 JFK-SFO, plus 3 flights to EWR as well in case of emergency.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 1:18 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
<Beating dead horse>

I did some more math and determined that 18 round trips SFO-JFK, the first two of which would be SFO-DFW-LGA-ORD-SFO in a YUP fare (for the Platinum challenge) and the rest simple discount economy SFO-JFK-SFO nonstops, with one weekend mileage run (say, SFO-DFW-SJU-DFW-SFO) thrown in somewhere along the line, would end up with the following AA totals:

Total spend, using cheapest ITA fares - $8870 (includes Plat challenge fee)
Elite qualifying miles - 100,875 (Executive Platinum)
Redeemable miles - 201,750
Flights eligible for MCE (= UA E+) or better at booking: 100%
500-mi upgrade "stickers" earned - 36
Elite check-in and security - 100%
Extra baggage allowance - 100%
Systemwide upgrades available at end - 8

</beating>
Old Jan 10, 2015, 1:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CDKing
If you are in Economy Plus on United the legroom will be good but any seat on JetBlue is roomier than a standard seat on UA.
Roomier for now, as JetBlue is planning to cram more seats in its planes later this year. Bag fee coming too.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Do you have any opinion on AA versus United's product in economy for this route?[/QUOTE]

I've flown SFO-JFK at least 15 round trips over the last two years. Although I'm an AA Plat (which I originally got through a Challenge!), I have also flown on United a number of times on the PS flights in both E+ and Business.

My flexible schedule has allowed me to pick and choose the flights with the most availability. As a result, I've been very successful with my AA upgrade requests. The A321B is a wonderful way to transcon, especially on the longer westbound flights. The MCE seats seem very narrow to me but nothing terrible.

Business on the United PS flights are very comparable to the AA product. I really enjoyed my flights even when I was in E+. FWIW, United's IFE is extensive and fantastic.

All in all, I'd suggest AA based on my experiences. I also really dislike UA's move to income-based requirements since I fly on deep discount fares.

Hope that helps!
Old Apr 24, 2015, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Update to the thread. Thanks for all the info and replies everyone.

I ended up going with United. First step was doing a status challenge. Started on a Premier Silver status challenge, but shifted that to Premier Platinum (requested via email) as I realized I could hit that target (18,000 PQM in 90 days).

I didn't realize at the time, but with the challenge I was instantly upgraded to Premier Platinum for the 90 days. So instant access to economy plus seats and boarding group 1 every time.

I flew United - SFO - JFK 3 times in last 90 days, everytime in economy plus. Thought it was great. I also flew Jetblue JFK-SFO once. I prefer United for the ability to listen to the pilot, and for SFO-JFK the number of flight times per day was/is great for me time.

I met the challenge requirements so will be Platinum for rest of year. Had good overall experience with United.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.