Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 4, 2014, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beckoa
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

Originally Posted by xooz
Still, as a posting in the "Information desk" forum, it could be helpful for future FT'ers/Newbies. Some things you could learn:
  • As attractive as it is, buddy passes are for suckers in the summer to Europe.
  • If you travel as a family, be ready to split up and go separate ways.
  • Never buy a buddy pass from someone who is not a buddy. A real friend can help you if you need alternate arrangements. Also, (not in the thread) your buddy pass is refundable, so a "real" buddy would get your money back.
  • Don't cheap out once you get in trouble. The poster should have found a good internet cafe and stayed online shopping until he had something. I would have started with Skyscanner and searched Paris to Everywhere, then looked at US and Canada options. Right this minute it found Aer Lingus CDG-JFK tomorrow for $1255.
  • Do your research in advance. The OP somehow found Flyertalk AFTER having a problem. A Google of 'buddy pass" has the FT thread "When Buddy Passes go Horribly Wrong" on the first page. Some review before the trip would have saved a lot of grief.
I would add the following:

Don't ever buy buddy passes or award tickets, especially from people who are not buddies. You risk being stranded overseas with no valid ticket to get home.

Don't leave home without one or more credit/debit cards (or other ready sources of emergency funds) that can cover the cost, in an emergency, of several days' local expenses and walk-up airfare home.

Before bringing young children on a trip, consider their welfare if things go wrong. If your plan for how to deal with difficulties is to spend days in an airport, don't bring the family.
Print Wikipost

Stuck in Europe for 6 days on Buddy Pass

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2014, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by RTW1
I for sure would welcome a feature where new members cannot start threads until they have reached a few posts. That would could down substantially on nonsense threads like these, bit it's probably not in the best commercial interest for IB.
I could not agree more!

But first-time posters would just hijack some other thread, which either has absolutely nothing to do with their question, or else necrobump a 12-year old thread!
Old Aug 9, 2014, 2:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
It makes asking a genuine question tough for a newbie.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 9:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by JPG3392
There's no way of knowing what the true story is, but if the whole thing is a scam the children could easily be fictional.
That occurred to me and would be an issue if the OP were seeking cash offers, but international airplane tickets (i.e., donated award tickets) require names and IIRC (at least for travel to the USA) birthdates at the time of booking. OTOH, could the scammers enter or change the birthdate later? I wouldn't think it would be easy as this can't be changed within 72 hours of travel.

However, more generally I think people should think twice before dragging children along on complicated itineraries with tight connections or tickets using mistake fares. If there are problems, it's easier for healthy young adults to deal with sleeping in the airport, etc. compared to children, elderly, disabled, or people with health problems. OTOH, maybe having kids in tow makes agents more willing to bend the rules to help, so the children could almost be used as props in extreme cases.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 4:12 pm

hmm, I'm a bit disappointed he never got back to this thread to at least put in a little "thank you". From briefly scanning the replys after his last reply it seemed like some members were actually considering some very altruistric actions, very nice.

If it was a scam and the whole thing was made up then it still showed how engaged this community is so there's a silver lining either way.

Potentially he just got home and posting in online forums is just not part of his usual habbit so he simply forgot that there are humans behind the screens typing the words.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 4:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I'm not really surprised...
Old Aug 11, 2014, 5:49 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
I just read this thread for the first time in a week or so.
From the start, it seemed unusual, to say the least.
I have had at least 15-20 conversations with airline employees, usually with family, who have trudged to the airport to fly on standby only to be told "come back tomorrow."
From my perspective, we are living through an era of reduced award availability and fuller planes, so this gentleman manages to snare 4 seats from an Eastern seaboard city to a European capital at the height of summer travel season using buddy passes?
How fortunate!

With all the social media revelations about fictitious dating profiles, robot twitter accounts and manipulated news feeds to determine user responses, the notion that this was a lame psychology experiment popped into my head.

Subject: "Altruism among Strangers on the Internet"
Investigator created a fictitious profile on a frequent traveler website, emphasizing a dire (at least for a first worlder) travel circumstance. Included a lap infant for additional effect. Stranded for days in an airport! Sketchy wi-fi! Moving from city to city! Of the xxx responses, 10% came forward wth offers of tickets, etc, 40% offered routing advice, 20% admonished investigator for risking his family being stranded and so on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.