Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 4, 2014, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beckoa
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

Originally Posted by xooz
Still, as a posting in the "Information desk" forum, it could be helpful for future FT'ers/Newbies. Some things you could learn:
  • As attractive as it is, buddy passes are for suckers in the summer to Europe.
  • If you travel as a family, be ready to split up and go separate ways.
  • Never buy a buddy pass from someone who is not a buddy. A real friend can help you if you need alternate arrangements. Also, (not in the thread) your buddy pass is refundable, so a "real" buddy would get your money back.
  • Don't cheap out once you get in trouble. The poster should have found a good internet cafe and stayed online shopping until he had something. I would have started with Skyscanner and searched Paris to Everywhere, then looked at US and Canada options. Right this minute it found Aer Lingus CDG-JFK tomorrow for $1255.
  • Do your research in advance. The OP somehow found Flyertalk AFTER having a problem. A Google of 'buddy pass" has the FT thread "When Buddy Passes go Horribly Wrong" on the first page. Some review before the trip would have saved a lot of grief.
I would add the following:

Don't ever buy buddy passes or award tickets, especially from people who are not buddies. You risk being stranded overseas with no valid ticket to get home.

Don't leave home without one or more credit/debit cards (or other ready sources of emergency funds) that can cover the cost, in an emergency, of several days' local expenses and walk-up airfare home.

Before bringing young children on a trip, consider their welfare if things go wrong. If your plan for how to deal with difficulties is to spend days in an airport, don't bring the family.
Print Wikipost

Stuck in Europe for 6 days on Buddy Pass

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2014, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
For YYZ, OP and family need to be able to enter Canada. There's no airside transfer to transborder flights. Do we know that they have USA passports?
Airside transit, intl arr to US departure at YYZ:

Yes there is in T1 Air Canada's terminal (*A)

Not in T3, DL/KL/AF (ST) and AA/CX/BA (OW)
Old Aug 3, 2014, 12:23 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
*** Friendly Reminders ***

Flame-worthy, off-topic, non-contributive posts have been deleted.

This is a designated FLAME FREE forum — please phrase your replies accordingly. If you have no concrete assistance to offer, please do not post.

Like many of the new members posting at the Info Desk, OP seems to be relatively inexperienced — please keep this in mind when explaining the advice you are giving.

Please keep the discussion focused on OP's query, i.e., how to get himself and his spouse, two children and lap infant back to WAS-area from CDG as quickly and inexpensively as possible. Please refrain from non-factual speculation about op's buddy pass situation, critiques of various airlines, etc.

Many thanks to all who have gone so generously above and beyond to give such helpful advice thus far! Hopefully we will hear back from OP with an update/outcome.

~Moderator

Old Aug 3, 2014, 3:40 am

OP, what is your actual plan? I mean...it seems you are still trying to use the passes. I hope you have tried splitting up. If not, do this. You indicated they are not accepting your passes. Are they in fact invalidated?

I know this is a painful experience, but I really think you need to bite the bullet and simply find the cheapest way home and buy the ticket. It sucks, it's painful....but you are now at what, day 9? Each day you are spending what, another 200€ at least on food and lodging?

At this point, I don't think we understand what your plan is. You posted for our help, and we supplied a relatively cheap way home.....but you were off doing something else, which I don't really understand. If you want our help, you need to detail the plan, what exactly you have tried, how much you are willing to spend, etc. Otherwise, this is bordering on the absurd.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 3:52 am

I can only second largeeyes.

OP is very unclear about what he's doing/what he wants.

He was first in Rome, then in Milano, and now apparently (still?) in Paris.

Those are both, especially from Milano to Paris, quite some distances. And also not that cheap, even if he drove (which will probably be the cheapest for a family of 4 (or 5, if we count the infant) )

So, we simply have no clue what he exactly wants (still wanting to use his stand-by pass? Is it still valid, or did the airline catched the apparent illegal sale of it, making him to buy a ticket anyway?)

Is he lacking the funds to actually buy those new tickets? Or why isn't he going ahead and secured them in the past days? Basically there had been offers here for flights yesterday and today which would have brought him back by today at latest.

I hope not hearing back from him means he and his family are finally on the way back, and not that he's running around trying to do what exactly?

OP, we want to help you - actually, for me, especially your kids and your toddler - but you need to give us a hand to do so.

This reminds me of the old joke where a guy is praying to god every day to let him win in the lottery. After 2 years, god is answering his prayers and ask him to at least give him a chance, buy a lottery ticket.

Somehow it's the same here.. we would really like to help the OP out. If you had to wait in MXP, for example, you could have used my holiday flat nearby, making your accommodation and food costs going close to 0.-

I'll always try to help out fellow travellers who got struck by bad luck (or bad planning) in need - which is also what FT should be about. But you need to help us out by informing what you exactly want, what your current condition is (Priority #1 as cheap as possible or as soon as possible etc.) and what else that might be important.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 5:56 am

Programs: UA 1P, AA, Hilton Honors
Wow - way too many unanswered questions here. I wonder what/if passengers even had a return plan.

First, I seriously doubt the passes were voided. I am thinking pax used term sold when he probably meant reimbursed: in addition, the carriers are far more concerned about passes being used by business travelers ( they feel this is a seat that could have been sold ) than by leisure pax.

I hope our passengers did by tickets home. Things may have changed, but the entire time I worked for UA - until the time I retired, buddies had a difficult time booking/changing passes. Basically the buddy had to log on to UA's employee websight ( with the employee's password ) and book. There was no other way to book: you can not just buy a buddy passes and book whenever and wherever you choose without the password. If passenger did have the password, he would be able to see loads and plan accordingly. ( BTW, customer service counters can not book either. )

What happens the huge majority of the time is the employee books the round trip for the buddy. If there is an issue (such as the buddy not getting on the flight), a service rep can pull up the PNR and change the date - keeping the same city pairs: they can not even add a connection because this would add a pass. It would be impossible to change city pairs such as FCO/IAD to LHR/EWR.

I feel bad for the buddy because it does not seem he was told much - if any of this. With a family of 4, he probably has bags. I wonder if he ever checked in for a flight and (probably) checked bags. I wonder if he got them back? At a hub in the US, this is difficult - but hopefully easier at a non-hub in Europe. I can just picture him bouncing around the continent with small children, an infant and baggage.

Last edited by u2fan; Aug 3, 2014 at 6:35 am
Old Aug 3, 2014, 7:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Stuck in Europe for 6 days on Buddy Pass

I'm not sure there is much point in giving the OP any further advice. He has had plenty but doesn't seem to follow it, and it is annoying when you are trying to be helpful and don't get constructive feedback.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 8:14 am

Programs: Aeroplan
I, too hope the OP has found a way home. I have also checked flights to Toronto (where I live). Cost wise the Aeroflot seats were his best bet.

I am not even going to post what I am thinking at this point - but let's just say that perhaps the "right" offer was not forthcoming and I expect that everyone knows the types of offers I am thinking about. I hate to sound cynical and really hope that I am wrong.

But it would be nice if the OP would at least update the board as to what has happened. He has had excellent advice and people have been jumping through hoops for him and his family. I feel very sorry for the little children.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 8:40 am

Programs: UA 1P, AA, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by Murphy123
I feel very sorry for the little children.
Yes, well said
Old Aug 3, 2014, 9:20 am

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
I see availability for five using Avianca Lifemiles on 6 Aug from CDG to EWR via FRA/LHR for 30,000 miles each plus about $190 per pax in taxes and fees -long trip but it would at least get him home at a reasonable cost.

Happy to redeem a couple of tickets for the OP using my Lifemiles for karma. If other FTers with Lifemiles can chip in, we could get all five of them back to stateside by 7 Aug.

I know OP has wifi etc problems, but he needs to be more engaged to make it easier for us to help him and his family get out of CDG

Flight 1 - August, 6th, 2014
Paris, Charles De Gaulle International Airport (CDG) to Newark (EWR)
Airline Flights Departs Arrives Duration Stops Cabin
Multiple Airlines Multiple Paris, Charles De Gaulle International Airport (CDG) 07:50 Newark (EWR) 21:00 19:10 Multiple Economy
LH1051 Paris, Charles De Gaulle International Airport (CDG) 07:50 Frankfurt (FRA) 09:10 0 Economy
LH910 Frankfurt (FRA) 15:00 London, Heathrow Airport (LHR) 15:40 0 Economy
UA943 London, Heathrow Airport (LHR) 18:00 Newark (EWR) 21:00 0 Economy

Last edited by SingaporeDon; Aug 3, 2014 at 10:02 am
Old Aug 3, 2014, 9:35 am

Been following this thread hoping for a positive outcome for OP. That being said....kudos to all for the outpouring of detailed help and concern. Especially people offering use of their flats and miles. You folks are amazing. ��

Debbie

Last edited by Lesliehr; Aug 3, 2014 at 9:42 am
Old Aug 3, 2014, 12:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's all very generous, but I hope that anyone making such an offer takes steps to verify the OP's situation before gifting any miles/tickets or meeting up with the person. Remember, this is the internet and anyone can post anything. Note that the OP joined FT on the same day as the first post in this thread. If I were considering any donation, I would first want to know exactly how the OP acquired the buddy passes.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 12:58 pm
Suspended

It's all very generous, but I hope that anyone making such an offer takes steps to verify the OP's situation before gifting any miles/tickets or meeting up with the person. Remember, this is the internet and anyone can post anything. Note that the OP joined FT on the same day as the first post in this thread. If I were considering any donation, I would first want to know exactly how the OP acquired the buddy passes.
You took the words right out of my mouth. There is something here we have not been told...it all smells a bit funny to me.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 1:02 pm

I agree with MSPeconomist. I may be willing to help the OP family home if I get very specific information and know it is a goodwill Karma issue and feel warm and fuzzy. I do not want to help someone who was trying to rip off an airline even if most airlines are gouging the public.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by Centurion
I agree with MSPeconomist. I may be willing to help the OP family home if I get very specific information and know it is a goodwill Karma issue and feel warm and fuzzy. I do not want to help someone who was trying to rip off an airline even if most airlines are gouging the public.
+1. Maybe it's the cynic in me but I think it may be a troll. Sorry, that's what I think.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 3:18 am
Suspended

Anyone else curious where Darrenn23 is?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.