Search

Fare code difference between Marketing and Operating Carrier

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2014, 1:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Question Fare code difference between Marketing and Operating Carrier

Hi,

Is the fare code the same between the marketing and operating carrier?

Example:
I purchase a ticket from United which is fare code L, but operating carrier is ANA. Does that mean the fare code on ANA is L too? Or does it translate to a different fare code?

Would like to understand this so I can calculate mileage accruals/elite status correctly. So if I want to bank the mileage to another FFP, I would have to use the mileage accruals chart of that FFP in relation to operating carrier (ANA) right?
Old Jul 15, 2014, 8:26 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Fare code difference between Marketing and Operating Carrier

no. they are not the same.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:15 am
Original Poster

So how does one know the fare code equivalent on the operating carrier? Talk to the marketing carrier?

I guess maybe I should buy the ticket from the same airline that is operating the flight to avoid all this hassle.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 7:13 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by lcpteck
So how does one know the fare code equivalent on the operating carrier? Talk to the marketing carrier?

I guess maybe I should buy the ticket from the same airline that is operating the flight to avoid all this hassle.
I'm not sure I understand the question. In your example, are you seeking to credit miles to United or ANA?
If United, their policy is "The award miles accrued on codeshare flights are based on the operating carrier and their equivalent fare class."
United has categories of classes (first, business, full fare economy, economy, and discount economy) listed for ANA. Try and match that term, not the letter.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 12:06 am
Original Poster

Flying in Economy

I'm planning a trip to the US (IAD) Ex-SIN so it's also a good time to earn A3 Gold (*A Gold) by crediting the mileage there (and easier to maintain for a leisure/budget traveler like me).

I'm looking at the SIN-IAD route which United and ANA are both operating (via NRT), pricing is also somewhat siimilar. Both ANA and United markets this route and both do codeshares as well (some flights do some flights don't). Looking at the Economy Discounted ticket of S Class fare code, ANA earns 100% mileage on A3, but United only earns 50%. So obviously it would be better to take ANA flight instead. Some flights are marketed by United but operated on ANA and vice versa.

If I was to purchase an Economy discounted S Class ticket from United but it flies on ANA and I want to credit to A3, would I earn 100% mileage since it's flown on ANA metal?

Unfortunately flying out of SIN to IAD (S$ is expensive so I have been looking around and CGK is a cheaper alternative. CGK also have ANA/United flights to IAD but at least S$600 cheaper compared to flying from SIN. I just need to do a positioning flight to/fro CGK (cheap/budget flight).

I also considered other carriers which are cheap Ex-SIN but would not get me any kind of status whatsoever, below are some examples:

SIN-JED-RUH-IAD on Saudia for S$1100+
SIN-PEK-IAD on Air China for S$1400+

Last edited by lcpteck; Jul 16, 2014 at 3:43 am
Old Jul 16, 2014, 3:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wirickpiao
I should buy the ticket from the same airline that is operating the flight to avoid all this hassle.
Yep, you're right.

But it's also good knowledge to understand how mileage earning/crediting in this sort of situation.
Old Nov 13, 2022, 9:17 am

Programs: mileage plus
Is there a fare code difference btwn Marketing & Operating carrier?

I can book a transatlantic trip on Luftansa.com that is operated by UAL. The fare code on the website is K which is not upgradable as a LU flight. However, if it was a UAL K class fare it could be upgraded with 80 plus points. I don't want to book it if I can't have the chance to use P. I called United MP and they said it would not be upgradable but I read elsewhere on this forum that the fare basis of the marketing carrier isn't the same as the operating carrier but it's the equivalent fare basis. My question is: Will there be a separate fare class for UAL as the operating airline or is the fare basis going to be LU's K class. It's a basic economy on LU but allows for 1 checked bag. I am thoroughly confused. I need expert help. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.