FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Fare code difference between Marketing and Operating Carrier
Old Jul 16, 2014, 12:06 am
lcpteck

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Flying in Economy

I'm planning a trip to the US (IAD) Ex-SIN so it's also a good time to earn A3 Gold (*A Gold) by crediting the mileage there (and easier to maintain for a leisure/budget traveler like me).

I'm looking at the SIN-IAD route which United and ANA are both operating (via NRT), pricing is also somewhat siimilar. Both ANA and United markets this route and both do codeshares as well (some flights do some flights don't). Looking at the Economy Discounted ticket of S Class fare code, ANA earns 100% mileage on A3, but United only earns 50%. So obviously it would be better to take ANA flight instead. Some flights are marketed by United but operated on ANA and vice versa.

If I was to purchase an Economy discounted S Class ticket from United but it flies on ANA and I want to credit to A3, would I earn 100% mileage since it's flown on ANA metal?

Unfortunately flying out of SIN to IAD (S$ is expensive so I have been looking around and CGK is a cheaper alternative. CGK also have ANA/United flights to IAD but at least S$600 cheaper compared to flying from SIN. I just need to do a positioning flight to/fro CGK (cheap/budget flight).

I also considered other carriers which are cheap Ex-SIN but would not get me any kind of status whatsoever, below are some examples:

SIN-JED-RUH-IAD on Saudia for S$1100+
SIN-PEK-IAD on Air China for S$1400+

Last edited by lcpteck; Jul 16, 2014 at 3:43 am