Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

ORD-EWR Labor Day Weekend - $784 vs 75K miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2014, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA

Hi,
My first post, though I have been reading for quite a while. Thanks to this forum I have a nice round-trip to SEA coming up from my new credit card!

Very happy. I am trying to figure out if I should buy tickets to EWR using cash or miles. Exact same itinerary for two travelers. 75,000 miles or $784. On United.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old May 14, 2014, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by houseontheprairie
Hi,
My first post, though I have been reading for quite a while. Thanks to this forum I have a nice round-trip to SEA coming up from my new credit card!

Very happy. I am trying to figure out if I should buy tickets to EWR using cash or miles. Exact same itinerary for two travelers. 75,000 miles or $784. On United.

Is that in Coach, or in First Class? Just one way?

Most FTers would consider getting only $.01 in value per mile to be a poor redemption. But if you are miles rich and cash poor, you might feel differently.

Do you have to fly out of ORD? If not, check Southwest's prices for MDW-EWR. Or, depending on where in New Jersey you are actually headed, check Frontier's prices for MDW-TTN.
Old May 14, 2014, 5:21 pm

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Hi,

I have often used 60,000 miles for roundtrip tickets, but the cash cost would have been higher than $784. What to do is an individual choice that depends on many variable factors.
Old May 14, 2014, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Looks like Southwest can be had for $300 per person and DL for $312 with a connection at either CVG or MSP. All depends on how much you value cash vs. miles. Miles can go further than cash but you have to do what's right with your financial situation. If you can afford the tickets, it's a better value to purchase them and save the miles for a bigger trip.

For example 60k will get one person roundtrip from the US to Europe and 45k will get one person roundtrip US to Hawaii.
Old May 15, 2014, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for the input. The miles version of the trip would have been first class outbound and economy return, with the cash version being economy both ways.
I will definitely check southwest out of MKE - so much nicer to deal with than O'Hare!

I will probably go the cash route. I am learning
Thanks again!
Old May 15, 2014, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Oops - I see that guv1976 was referring to Midway, not Milwaukee! I will check that route as well!
Old May 16, 2014, 2:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Thank you all for the input. The miles version of the trip would have been first class outbound and economy return, with the cash version being economy both ways.
I will definitely check southwest out of MKE - so much nicer to deal with than O'Hare!

I will probably go the cash route. I am learning
Thanks again!
DL has flights out of MDW as well. They can be cheaper than the same destination from ORD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.