Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

beach vacation, where to start

Old Apr 22, 14, 11:25 am
Original Poster

I've travelled a bit in my life, mostly for work.

i'm a little overwhelmed right now looking for a summer package somewhere on the beach. we're totally open as to where (virgin islands, Fiji, st Croix, Hawaii, etc). we're also open to any time between mid june-mid aug for about a week. oh, and we have a young child, 6 yrs

where do I start looking? are these better doing all inclusives? is it better finding a hotel package and then looking at flights? or find a good flight somewhere and then find a hotel package?

I looked everywhere from Costco travel to travelzoo to this forum.

any advice would be appreciated.
Old Apr 22, 14, 12:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
It would be helpful to know where you are originating from?
Also, Fiji is a long way to go for a week compared to the other destinations you mentioned.
Old Apr 22, 14, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

ahh i'm originating from aus or iah (live in aus, iah is close enough plus a bigger int'l airport).
yes Fiji is far, but if the price isn't going to kill me, we can extend it a few days.
i'm not looking for a 10K trip, but a few thousand is expected, so maybe not Fiji...

was really trying to say any beach vacation, outside of the mainland usa...Caribbean, british or us virgin islands.
Old Apr 22, 14, 12:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
From Texas, PVR is an easy destination, and very pleasant. Hawaii is also great, with a bit better weather.

Try Orbitz or Cheaptickets for packages, you usually save some money. There are usually coupons to save an extra $150 or so as well. See the wiki on this thread for coupons. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hotel...elzoo-etc.html

I can recommend a nice moderately priced hotel on the beach in PVR if you like.

Last edited by Doc Savage; Apr 22, 14 at 12:36 pm
Old Apr 22, 14, 12:43 pm

Also consider driving down to Galveston and take a 5-7 day cruise. Depending on the deals available right now, it could be as little as $1000 for all 3 of you (plus gratuities and alcohol). I think all the cruiselines pretty much have a "kids camp" for your little one to go to and make friends (and they usually don't cost any extra fees) Typically, you'll see 2-3 ports (lots of beaches), so it's really hard to get bored. Meals (including room service) are usually pretty good, and if you don't like it, just have them bring something different (for no additional cost). There is on-board entertainment (vegas-style shows, game shows, movie night at the pool, etc)
Old Apr 22, 14, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

thanks jewmtx, but we did a cruise not too long ago and really just wanted to go somewhere this time.
Old Apr 22, 14, 1:05 pm

I also like LivingSocial Escapes and Groupon Getaways for inspiration. In my experience, it's been less effort to pick a destination and then find flights - although Kayak has an interesting "where can I go for $x" map that you may want to look into.

Maybe start with this: http://www.kayak.com/explore/

And then find resort deals from there.
Old Apr 22, 14, 1:45 pm

for caribbean all inclusives, i frequent cheapcaribbean and travelwire.

I find those two have had the best packages for me from LGA JFK EWR.
Old Apr 22, 14, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, DL FO, DL MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt platinum
I suggest that you look at renting a villa on St. John, USVI. In addition to a bunch of great beaches, St. John is special because 2/3 of the island is a US national park. The island is a quick ferry hop from St. Thomas.

Search this Thread