Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

What's the best use of hotel points when traveling with family?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2014, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Up until now, our traveling with kids (11+14) has been mostly to all-inclusive resorts in the Caribbean, and short city-breaks in the US.

In the resorts, we'd just get 2 rooms and pay cash.
In city-breaks, we'd get one room for a couple of nights - but that doesn't cut it any more.

Problem is, even if you get 2 rooms on points, breakfast is usually not included...and hotel breakfast for 4 can easily be $100+.

I'm mid-level in all the chains, and only Hilton gives its Golds free breakfast.

What is the best strategy for family travel when using points?
Old Apr 13, 2014, 7:51 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium

This post is all about what Marriott offers.

Marriott offers it's Golds (its mid-tier elite) breakfast in the concierge lounge, but typically not on weekends. There's a thread listing every US property that does. As for Marriott resorts, I don't know about breakfast. But the resorts charge a resort fee, or so I've read.

I think most Marriott members lean towards the travel pkgs as the best value. But they start in the mid-200k points range. You get a 7 day hotel stay and airline miles. Prices vary by hotel category and the number of miles.

IMO, the next best value is doing a five night stay. Marriott gives a fifth night free, in the same hotel, with four nights on points.

Other than that, I try to not use my points. For a weekend getaway, I don't think Marriott is a good value. The received value of points isn't maximized and you don't get the free breakfast benefit. If you lean towards resorts, Marriott will hit you with fees on top of the points. That said, I've paid add'l to get suites in Europe and felt it was well worth the extra cash. I calculate each stay individually to decide if it's worth the points, like most FTers probably. I stayed in a suite in Paris that I wouldn't have otherwise afforded. Same for a stay in Rome.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 6:41 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Based on your description it seems Hilton's Embassy Suites brand is tailor made for your family. Every room is a suite, with a door that closes to separate the bedroom from the living room with pull-out sofa. The four of you could squeeze into one suite instead of having to pay for two rooms. Moreover, The included breakfast buffet offers plenty of choices, enough to save easily $50/day that a family of four could otherwise spend at a simple diner.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Based on your description it seems Hilton's Embassy Suites brand is tailor made for your family. Every room is a suite, with a door that closes to separate the bedroom from the living room with pull-out sofa. The four of you could squeeze into one suite instead of having to pay for two rooms. Moreover, The included breakfast buffet offers plenty of choices, enough to save easily $50/day that a family of four could otherwise spend at a simple diner.
we've stayed at ES in Montreal. Not bad - a bit of a tight squeeze, but doable.
Thanks for your recommendation.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 9:04 am

+1 for ES traveling with a family. Also Residence Inn or Summerfield Suites.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 9:42 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by stevento
Up until now, our traveling with kids (11+14) ...

Problem is, even if you get 2 rooms on points, breakfast is usually not included...and hotel breakfast for 4 can easily be $100+.
I understand the convenience of breakfast at a resort. Even then many times at the resort areas where we've stayed, one can find a "local" breakfast spot that is much cheaper than the resort/hotels & serves higher quality fare.

If staying at non-resort areas, you can easily do much better than $100 for breakfast for 4 people if you seek out non-hotel/resort options.

Hotel breakfast is usually a highly over-rated item/perk IMO.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Agree on Embassy Suites in a lot of cases.

If you can get top status with Hyatt, as I understand it you can have several guaranteed suite upgrades a year. Perfect for occasional family travel.

If there is some way to target your stays to fewer hotel programs, you are likely to do better overall.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 7:09 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Delta Plat, AA Gold, Avis PresClub
I have 2 kids and our family has been sticking to the Hilton Portfolio for our travel. There are Embassy Suites and Homewood suites just about everywhere, and even Doubletree Suites at numerous places (like NYC) which is a great deal at a normal redemption rate for an all suite hotel. I believe they are the only brand that allows for booking upgraded rooms using additional points. It can come in handy if staying at a regular Hilton and still needing a suite. Also, with Gold and Diamond you get the 2 free breakfast (already included in ES and HS of course), and i have never been charged for kids under 18, but YMMV on that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.