Wiki Posts
Search

Best nonstop redemption from NYC to SLC/YVR/MMH

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2014, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Best nonstop redemption from NYC to SLC/YVR/MMH

Hi,

Looking for some help with wanting to get to a western location from NYC for May skiing. Thinking of Whistler (Vancouver), Snowbird (Salt Lake), or Mammoth (Mammoth-Yosemite in California) as these are usually open into late May or beyond.
  1. We have Delta, Alaska, United, American, British miles.
  2. Delta goes to SLC direct but their availability is awful for good flying time slots.
  3. I know Cathay does NYC > Vancouver but not sure how to use my OW miles on them as they do not show up as possibilities on the AA site.

Any tips at all? Ideally looking for a solution such as "Book airline XX through your YY miles. They do non-stops from NYC to ZZ." But any advice or discussion is appreciated.

Gracias
Old Mar 17, 2014, 2:04 pm

CX JFK-YVR would definitely have the best product compared with anything on AA, UA, DL, or any other USA carrier.

It is bookable using AA miles, but not via the AA website, so you have to call AA to make the booking (and subsequently pay the $25 telephone booking fee)
Old Mar 17, 2014, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
CX JFK-YVR would definitely have the best product compared with anything on AA, UA, DL, or any other USA carrier.

It is bookable using AA miles, but not via the AA website, so you have to call AA to make the booking (and subsequently pay the $25 telephone booking fee)
Thanks, apieinthesky. I ended up using BA to check out the CX availability and it showed up as available. Very nice! And since it is at that special distance that makes AA/BA redemption equivalent (12.5K per leg), I will just have to figure out which program to use.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by FrequentFlyer9000
Originally Posted by Apieinthesky

Thanks, apieinthesky. I ended up using BA to check out the CX availability and it showed up as available. Very nice! And since it is at that special distance that makes AA/BA redemption equivalent (12.5K per leg), I will just have to figure out which program to use.
While you won't have to pay AA's $25 telephone-booking fee if you use BA miles for JFK-YVR, you will have to pay surcharges when redeeming Avios on this route. I'm not sure how much the surcharges are on this route, but you can easily discover that via a dummy award booking at ba.com.

No surcharges on CX award flights when redeeming AAdvantage miles for them.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

There are no direct flights from the East Coast to MMH, but AS offers year-round service from LAX, and seasonal service from SAN. Search for JFK-MMH on aa.com; if you find award seats on connecting flights, you can either redeem AA miles then and there, or AS miles on AS' site.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 12:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by guv1976

There are no direct flights from the East Coast to MMH, but AS offers year-round service from LAX, and seasonal service from SAN. Search for JFK-MMH on aa.com; if you find award seats on connecting flights, you can either redeem AA miles then and there, or AS miles on AS' site.
I'll second this. Can even split carriers if needed, but not bad for a one stop. (although n/s to YVR sounds nice in CX F)

MMH has been having promos too with discounts on lift tickets for AS customers.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 1:03 pm

Maybe more importantly, see what place will have the best snow or most trails open? No sense getting the best flight, but going to the worst mountain...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.