Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2014, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Before posting please read POSTS 1-3 for a comprehensive overview of how to select a program.
If you already plan to focus on one particular alliance, please visit the sticky in the relevant forum: Deciding on a oneworld FFP or Which SkyTeam FFP or Choosing a Star FFP

List of frequent flyer programs from Wikipedia

Questionnaire: Copy and paste into your post
Provide the requested information.

1. What is most important to you in a frequent flyer program (FFP)?
upgrades, priority services, baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, lounge access, etc.
>>> Reply:

2. How many miles do you usually fly each year? How many flights/sectors?
less than 25000 miles, 50000+ miles and 20-25 flights, etc.
>>> Reply:

3. What fare class do you usually buy?
first, business, premium economy, economy
>>> Reply:

4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
>>> Reply:

5. Which routes do you fly most often?
transatlantic, domestic USA, intra-Asia, etc.
>>> Reply:

6. What is your home airport?
>>> Reply:

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in each FFP, if any?
>>> Reply:

8. What are your preferred airlines, if any?
>>> Reply:
Print Wikipost

Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2015, 2:15 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
You can keep the UA miles alive by methods other than flying (UA mall purchase, for instance), but 8,000 miles doesn't get you much. I have a friend with over 100,000 miles and she hasn't flown UA in a few years (she's mostly on Virgin America), but she does keep her miles alive. A one way UA domestic ticket in the U.S. is 12,500 miles.

As a leisure flyer, you need to look at accumulation rates as your first priority and you'll find that UA and AA are on opposite ends of the spectrum, at least for now, in how you bring in those miles. At UA you earn 5 miles per dollar spent up to the 24,999 mile mark. At AA you earn actual flight miles in that same range.

A $300 round trip from SFO to WAS would bring in around 1,300 miles at UA (they don't count the $40 or so in taxes so you accrue on $260), while at AA it would bring over 5,000 miles (actual distance).

No one can predict when/if AA will change anything, but for now I'd keep your UA miles alive by shopping or some other method (there should be a thread on the UA forum on how to keep miles from expiring), and put the flight miles on AA. That way, if things do change in the future, you'll be able to decide what direction to go without the loss of any miles.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
You can keep the UA miles alive by methods other than flying (UA mall purchase, for instance), but 8,000 miles doesn't get you much. I have a friend with over 100,000 miles and she hasn't flown UA in a few years (she's mostly on Virgin America), but she does keep her miles alive. A one way UA domestic ticket in the U.S. is 12,500 miles.

As a leisure flyer, you need to look at accumulation rates as your first priority and you'll find that UA and AA are on opposite ends of the spectrum, at least for now, in how you bring in those miles. At UA you earn 5 miles per dollar spent up to the 24,999 mile mark. At AA you earn actual flight miles in that same range.

A $300 round trip from SFO to WAS would bring in around 1,300 miles at UA (they don't count the $40 or so in taxes so you accrue on $260), while at AA it would bring over 5,000 miles (actual distance).

No one can predict when/if AA will change anything, but for now I'd keep your UA miles alive by shopping or some other method (there should be a thread on the UA forum on how to keep miles from expiring), and put the flight miles on AA. That way, if things do change in the future, you'll be able to decide what direction to go without the loss of any miles.

Thanks taking the time to answer my question.

It sounds like AA is much more generous with mile than UA. But to redeem the miles, is AA asking for more too? It doesn't make sense at all for any newbie to start FFP with UA if AA's offer is so much better.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by lakersgo
It sounds like AA is much more generous with mile than UA. But to redeem the miles, is AA asking for more too?
It's really a case of where you're going and what class of service. AA offers off-peak Europe travel for 40K between Oct 15 and May 15, then 60K the rest of the year. UA charges 60K year round. An AA partner ticket on Qantas to Australia is 75,000 miles in coach and 125,000 miles in business. A similar ticket on UA is 80,000 or 140,000 miles.

If you're traveling in Australia or between Australia and New Zealand, AA has a 10,000 mile one way award in coach. Use that for something like Perth to Auckland and you get excellent value (flying on Qantas). A UA one-way award is 17,500 miles.

Their award charts are on line:
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...vel/types.aspx

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/re...ward-chart.jsp

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/re...tner-chart.jsp
Old Sep 14, 2015, 11:56 am

It's really a case of where you're going and what class of service. AA offers off-peak Europe travel for 40K between Oct 15 and May 15, then 60K the rest of the year. UA charges 60K year round. An AA partner ticket on Qantas to Australia is 75,000 miles in coach and 125,000 miles in business. A similar ticket on UA is 80,000 or 140,000 miles.

If you're traveling in Australia or between Australia and New Zealand, AA has a 10,000 mile one way award in coach. Use that for something like Perth to Auckland and you get excellent value (flying on Qantas). A UA one-way award is 17,500 miles.

Their award charts are on line:
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...vel/types.aspx

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/re...ward-chart.jsp

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/re...tner-chart.jsp
Sounds like a no brainer to me.

I will try to use up the existing MileagePlus point but after that I am switching. Just not worth building FFP with UA with my travel habit.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 2:43 pm

Hey, I would like to start with collecting miles as Im travelling a lot with my current job.

>>> Reply: Upgrades and status card(priority boarding, lounges)

>>> Reply: 4 times a year transatlantic, 9 times per year Europe

>>> Reply:economy

4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
>>> Reply: work

>>> Reply: domestic (european)

>>> Reply: PRG

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in each FFP, if any?
>>> Reply: NO

>>> Reply: I would prefer skyteam as most of the flights are with skyteam.

Thank you very much!
Old Sep 15, 2015, 3:26 am

upgrades, priority services, baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, lounge access, etc.
>>> Reply: Right now, probably good award redemption rates along with good award access.

>>> Reply: My guess is less than 25000 miles, maybe around 15-20 flights

>>> Reply: Economy

>>> Reply: Yes, able to able to choose airlines and class of service. Primarily fly for pleasure.

>>> Reply: Right now mostly domestic USA. But some international as well. Bos-SFO round trips and BOS-Las Vegas about 1-2 times a year, maybe Boston to Vancouver approximately once a year. Maybe 1 or 2 flights per year from US<->Europe. So far I haven't traveled to Asia much but in the future maybe I will fly more US<->Asia, and also some within Europe.

>>> Reply: Boston. I'm not there often enough that it's a true "home airport" but maybe give it more weight than any other city.

>>> Reply: No status anywhere now, less than 10K miles currently in American, Delta, and United.

>>> Reply:

Right now I book the majority of flights on less than 3 weeks notice, some like 2-7 days before the flight. I almost always buy an economy class seat. I am wondering if you think its worthwhile for someone like me who flies less than 25K miles to try to concentrate my flying on an alliance to try to get status (as opposed to just booking the cheapest or almost cheapest tickets)

My home airport should probably be considered BOS although since I'm not there full time, I'd probably weigh BOS less than you'd weigh most people's home airports.

Does it seem like it would be worth it to try to get status somewhere? If so, which alliance? I have a friend who has a bunch of AA and British Airways miles, but he can't travel for leisure too much these days so this should only be weighed as a tiebreaker if it's close between two different alliances.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 10:48 am

If you can fly 25,000 miles on a single carrier/alliance, that comes with things like priority seating and extra miles, so it would make sense to focus on one.

With your revenue mix, though, it's hard to say where you would come out better. At UA, a flyer under 25,000 miles gets 5 miles per dollar spent, less taxes. At AA, you get 100% flight miles based on distance. A round trip LAX-BOS that was purchased a week out for $550 would bring in over 5,200 miles at AA and 2,500 miles at UA. Buy a $1,050 ticket instead, and AA remains at 5,200 miles while UA gets close at 5,000 miles. You pretty much need to get a spreadsheet out and sort out where you bring in the most miles with your fare mix.

If you reach 25,000 flight miles in a year there would be less competition for upgrades at AA, as that carrier does not automatically put all elites on the upgrade list for flights over 500 miles (UA puts all elites on the list). AA requires upgrades to be supported at the 25K level for flights over 500 miles while UA comps them all.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 6:16 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, US DM, El Al, SW RR
>>> In this order: Free Y award tickets first; upgrades (BC/EC/E+); free checked bag / inflight power / inflight WiFi.

>>> 1 RT to Europe/Israel
>>> 2-3 RT's in N. America, sometimes to CHI
>>> So I believe 20-25kmi per year.

>>> Economy

>>> Able to choose. Pleasure.

>>> See #2

>>> LAX, BUR

>>> No elite. 17kmi in DL, 6400 points in SW.

>>> SW, VX, DL.

Other note: Not a fan of credit cards. Given the annual membership fees & my travel habits, it never seemed worthwhile to me to dive into travel cards besides the initial bonus. I have a no-fee, cash rewards card that returns 1%-5.25% and I think I'm getting more credit card reward value that way.

I consider sticking with DL for another year, which should bring me up to 25kmi. I wonder what to do afterwards… Gravitate towards SW? RR seems to be just as "bad" as SM.

Thanks!
Old Sep 15, 2015, 6:28 pm

AA and Alaska are the two programs left that are mileage based and work out well for leisure travelers. Both have partners that can get you to TLV (thinking BA). You'd come pretty close to having 25,000 AA flight miles (three LAX-ORD trips bring in just less than 3,500 miles RT and TLV via LHR easily 15,000 miles round trip), so you're right on the precipice of having AA elite status. That comes with preferred seating and 25% extra miles.

Free international upgrades at that level just don't happen, and even domestic upgrades, which you will need to support if they are over 500 miles, will be tough with two tiers above you (Platinum, EXP). You can upgrade with a combination of cash and miles if the inventory is available (and that's a big "if" as you'll be competing with higher status flyers).

As Delta awards miles based on spend, that's a tough program for a leisure flyer to rack up miles, just like UA.

I don't have any airline cards. The best value there is the signup bonus which may give you enough miles for a free domestic trip. My primary cards are three hotel cards where I get excellent value (for instance, a $300 hotel night based on $8,000 in spend, or $4,000 in airline tickets at double points, better than most cash-back cards when you sort out the value).
Old Sep 16, 2015, 5:15 am

Programs: BA, LH. AF. EK.
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Welcome to the forum

AS is a good FFP. It has EK and a good range of other airlines as partners
http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...ePlan-partners

With 2 flights a year going to take a long time to earn miles for an award.
Check the expiry of your EK miles. EK miles expire 3 years from when they were earned (regardless of account activity).

( I have asked the moderators to move this to the original/master thread. Helps the next person when asking a question)
Old Sep 16, 2015, 5:32 am

Programs: avios
Flying every week between tokyo and seoul and tokyo and busan

Hi

I will probably take a job in Kawasaki, but my partner lives in Busan, South Korea and she's studying there so i'll be flying between the two countries every week.

I'd be departing tokyo on friday and then returning on monday (i would have the whole of friday, so i'd leave on the first flight out, and return monday night on the last flight out)

>>> Reply: good award redemption rates, low fares

>>> Reply: return trip haneda/narita to seoul or busan each week

>>> Reply: economy

>>> Reply: i have an AMEX avios card and gold, but i can travel any airline between japan and south korea

>>> Reply: tokyo-seoul round-trip, tokyo-busan round-trip

>>> Reply: busan gimhae or seoul incheon or tokyo haneda or tokyo narita

>>> Reply: AMEX membership rewards - 50,000 can be transferred to asia miles or other amex partner airlines, avios 5,500

>>> Reply:no preference, most punctual and safe
Old Sep 16, 2015, 2:05 pm

Hey guys!

Long time lurker, mainly for the reviews on the hotels, but I've recently begun a new job that requires a lot of international travel. Hopefully I'm headed in the right direction, but would love your guys' guidance!

(1) What is most important to you in a FFP?
Reply: If I had to rank, it would probably be:
1. Upgrades
2. Points for personal travel with my wife

Those are really my two biggest concerns, and they are nearly equal in importance with Upgrades giving a slight edge since I'm the one who has to do all the long haul travel and it's already getting kind of old sitting in coach.

(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
(<25000, 25000-50000, >50000 miles - <25, 25-50, >50 flights?)
Reply: I've been with the company for about 6 months now and have traveled 54,000 miles so if pace keeps up, I should be close to 100,000 but a conservative guess would be 75,000 miles.

(3) What types of fares do you usually buy ?
(First, Business, Premium economy, Economy, cheapest)
Reply: Premium Economy whenever I can, otherwise Economy

(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Airline most flown? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply: Yes, I can choose my airline and technically I can choose business class, but we get a kickback bonus if we choose economy which I always opt for. Currently I fly American Airlines. It is work travel. Also, most employees rarely ever choose Business because of the kickback, but also because of how it would look when you're the only one choosing to spend the company's money on the upgrade.

(5) Which routes and airlines do you fly most often
(US Domestic, Transpacific, Kangaroo, in Asia etc)
Reply: Round trip from Phoenix to Middle East, Asia and soon the UK

(6) What is your home airport?
(SFO, SCL, London LHR, HKG, Singapore SIN etc.)
Reply: PHX

(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in an airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
(AA Executive Platinum, UA 1K, LAN Comodoro, etc)
Reply: I am currently AA Platinum which I only just recently achieved. I have 45k miles left to go to get to Executive Platinum

(8) Preferred Airlines
Reply: That's what I'm trying to find out based on points! But currently, it's AA only because a few people here chose to go with AA because they used to be based out of DFW.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Last edited by apnnyc; Sep 16, 2015 at 2:19 pm
Old Sep 18, 2015, 1:16 pm

Smile New member looking for help. Hello everyone!

My wife and I just stumbled upon this site and are excited to be part of this community!

upgrades, priority services, baggage allowance, good award redemption rates,

less than 25000 miles

economy

4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? YES
Do you travel for work and/or pleasure? PLEASURE

5. Which routes do you fly most often? WITHIN CANADA/US/CARIBEAN

YYZ Pearson

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in each FFP, if any? WESTJET member ?

WESTJET but open to any
Old Sep 19, 2015, 8:15 am

...No one can predict when/if AA will change anything, but for now I'd keep your UA miles alive by shopping or some other method (there should be a thread on the UA forum on how to keep miles from expiring), and put the flight miles on AA. That way, if things do change in the future, you'll be able to decide what direction to go without the loss of any miles.
Hi,

I'm new here! Has any frequent flyer programs reinstated expired miles due to general changes in policy? I'd like to know because a few years back I lost track and had a huge no of UA miles expire.

Thanks
Old Sep 19, 2015, 9:46 am

Both AA and UA have programs in place to restore expired miles, but there are fees involved to get those miles back. I've not seen any posts reporting those fees were waived.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.