Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2014, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Before posting please read POSTS 1-3 for a comprehensive overview of how to select a program.
If you already plan to focus on one particular alliance, please visit the sticky in the relevant forum: Deciding on a oneworld FFP or Which SkyTeam FFP or Choosing a Star FFP

List of frequent flyer programs from Wikipedia

Questionnaire: Copy and paste into your post
Provide the requested information.

1. What is most important to you in a frequent flyer program (FFP)?
upgrades, priority services, baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, lounge access, etc.
>>> Reply:

2. How many miles do you usually fly each year? How many flights/sectors?
less than 25000 miles, 50000+ miles and 20-25 flights, etc.
>>> Reply:

3. What fare class do you usually buy?
first, business, premium economy, economy
>>> Reply:

4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
>>> Reply:

5. Which routes do you fly most often?
transatlantic, domestic USA, intra-Asia, etc.
>>> Reply:

6. What is your home airport?
>>> Reply:

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in each FFP, if any?
>>> Reply:

8. What are your preferred airlines, if any?
>>> Reply:
Print Wikipost

Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2018, 8:05 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards
I'll give this a shot. Never been a frequent traveler, but have been flying weekly for the last 10 months. I'm sure I could be doing this better. Thanks in advance for any help.

(1) What is most important to you in a FFP?
Reply: Upgrades on travel, better award access

(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
(<25000, 25000-50000, >50000 miles - <25, 25-50, >50 flights?)
Reply: 60,000-70,000 miles; 40 round trips flights

(3) What types of fares do you usually buy ?
Reply: economy/cheapest

(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Airline most flown? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply: Completely up to me, I have always flown WN, travel for work, but I'm self-employed

(5) Which routes and airlines do you fly most often
Reply: US Domestic, WN, BNA-ALB almost exclusively

(6) What is your home airport?
Reply: BNA / Nashville

(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in an airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
Reply: WN A-List Preferred, 160,000 WN points

(8) Preferred Airlines
Reply: Anything

I fly every week from Nashville to Albany, NY. WN seems to have the best flights, but I have not looked around that much. I'll be doing this for another 2-3 years, just looking to maximize my benefits while I can.

Last edited by statewidejason; Jul 31, 2018 at 8:06 pm Reason: Adding info
Old Aug 12, 2018, 3:35 pm

>>> Reply:Upgrades, priority service, good lounges

>>> Reply: 75k miles

>>> Reply:Business, First

4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
>>> Reply:Travel for work, any airline any class.

>>> Reply: ORD-SFO, ORD-LGA, ORD-HKG,

>>> Reply: ORD

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in each FFP, if any?
>>> Reply: None

>>> Reply: None

Some trips are in and out, so a decent lounge to freshen up before or after meeting + food is good. Normally fly which ever is cheapest between the big 3 but want to stick with one and gain status. Looking for the better choice of the big 3 alliances out of O'Hare.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 4:38 am

Programs: Virgin, Air Canada
Brisbane to Vancouver and Auckland

upgrades, priority services, baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, lounge access, etc.
>>> Reply:Priority Services, ability to upgrade with points

less than 25000 miles, 50000+ miles and 20-25 flights, etc.
>>> Reply: My wife and I will fly Brisbane to Vancouver every 12 to 18 months, also fly Brisbane to Auckland once or twice a year, and maybe 2 or 3 domestic flights a year

first, business, premium economy, economy
>>> Reply: usually economy, sometimes premium economy especially if we can upgrade with points

>>> Reply: Yes we can choose airline and class. Most flights are pleasure

transatlantic, domestic USA, intra-Asia, etc.
>>> Reply:AS above...Bne - YVR...and BNE - Auckland

>>> Reply:Brisbane

>>> Reply:Wife is Gold in Virgin because we can pool status credits. We have about 400,000 miles in Virgin and 100,000 in Qantas

>>> Reply:Was Virgin, now prefer AIr Canada because of direct flight BNE-YVR...and the fact that Virgin and Air New Zealand are splitting

We have just booked 2 return economy tickets on Air Canada BNE - Yvr ...but have not designated a FF plan yet.

We also have just started to accumulate rewards points in ANZ Black rewards cards for personal and work. Will likely spend about $100,000 a year on the Rewards cards.

A little off topic, but does anyone know how/what Virgin and Air Canada are planning to do in the near future

I look forward to your advice/suggestions....have a great day
Old Aug 19, 2018, 6:55 am

New Traveler

Hi, everyone! I just became a remote worker and I'm using my extra time to travel. My habits have changed drastically over the past few months, and I am traveling mostly for personal travel, domestically in the U.S. on my own dime.

(upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, extra baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, free - discounted lounge access, etc.)

Reply: I always carry on, and I've never been in a lounge or sat in nice(r) seats. That and award access is probably the most intriguing.

(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?

Reply: In 2019 I'd expect to fly between 25k-50k, in economy on probably 25-50 sectors

(First, Business, Premium economy, Economy, cheapest)

Reply: Historically economy/cheapest

(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Airline most flown? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?

Reply: I travel for pleasure, my home base is NYC/JFK, and I tend to Fly Delta and Jetblue the most.

(US Domestic, Transpacific, Kangaroo, in Asia etc)

Reply: US Domestic, Europe here and there

(SFO, SCL, London LHR, HKG, Singapore SIN etc.)

Reply: JFK

(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in an airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
(AA Executive Platinum, UA 1K, LAN Comodoro, etc)

Reply: I have about 25k miles in Delta

(8) Preferred Airlines
Reply: Delta, JetBlue, Virgin/Alaska

Thank you!!!!

Last edited by bizzzybozzzy; Aug 19, 2018 at 6:56 am Reason: Typo
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:43 pm
eyi

Long time reader, newbie poster

Hi there,
I'd love to get opinions on what the best FFP is best for me based off these answers:

Reply: upgrades on travel, good award redemption rates, better award access
(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors? <25
Reply: <25,000 miles, 3-4 trips per year
Reply: Cheapest paid for US/Canada, International - upgradeable economy to business using points
Reply: Air Canada, United, BA - travel for pleasure
Reply: US/Canada, US/Asia, US/Europe
Reply: SFO
Reply: have about 25000 in UA, but 90,000 chase UR
- most points are earned through spending on Chase cards and not through flying
(8) Preferred Airlines
Reply: LOVE JAL & BA (from last 4 trips), United only for travel partners and redemption value to Canada from US

Thanks in advance for any/all advice!
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:16 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
With flying less than 25K a year, you'll be so low on the upgrade list at carriers like AA or UA that you'll never clear (and may not be able to get on the list unless you're buying full fare coach). You also have to take into account they have a minimum spending amount, even for the lowest tier, and it might be a challenge to meet that if you're buying cheap tickets. AA, as an example, requires $3,000 in spend. Are you spending that much now? If not, you'll earn 5 miles per dollar spent pre-tax, which is apt not to be a lot of miles. I walked away from AA and I was at a tier that earned 11 miles per dollar spent pre-tax.

Being SFO based and buying cheap economy tickets, you should look at Alaska for domestic/Canada if they have the routes you need. They award 100% flight miles based on distance when flying Alaska metal and their lowest elite tier is at 20K, so you would see some benefits if you reached that lower threshold. They do have partnerships for Asia and Europe but accrual can be as low as zero (thinking of deep discount economy on Cathay) and more typically 25-50%. You would also get your Alaska elite 50% bonus after 20K (25K with partners).

There are different tiers when you mix partners, and with something like that the lowest tier is 25K but keep in mind most partners do not accrue at 100%, so you really need to look at the numbers before committing to status when mixing Alaska with partners (I did it in 2017 but for 2018 I'm using strictly Alaska).

As to award travel, Alaska does hit you with BA fuel surcharges when flying then, but on the other hand their business and first class awards to Australia are up to 40% less than what AA and UA charge. Compare the award charts. AA also charges those BA fuel surcharges, but you won't get hit on AA metal. UA does not impose fuel surcharges, but again keep in mind the road to accue miles on cheap fares with AA or UA will be long. Alaska does have some options non-BA that you could make work (Finnair and Cathay, for instance).

Alaska elite status: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mileage-plan/membership-benefits?lid=nav:mileage-elite&int=AS_NAV_MP_EliteStatus_-prodID:MileagePlan
Alaska partners and accrual rates: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...rline-partners
Old Sep 4, 2018, 12:21 am
eyi

Thank you! This is very helpful!
Old Sep 23, 2018, 4:54 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K/ One World Emerald
Hi there,

I just got a new job and will be doing a lot of small trips in the West Coast area. I never travelled that much before for business so I want to start giving my loyalty to one airline. I'm very interested in knowing out of LAX which airline would I have the best chance of getting upgraded from economy with mid-tier status? Right now I'm thinking Alaska since there are tons of Delta, AA and United elite flyers. There are a lot of MVP elite flyers but I think they are based out of SEA mostly so maybe in LAX at non-peak times I have a chance? Does anyone know which airline has the best upgrade availability for their elite status members? Not sure if there's an official report or anything. Also I have like 150k miles on Delta and 120k miles on AA- I tried to book to an international trip using miles and it was essentially useless. Delta required like 300k miles for any availability for a biz class trip to Moscow and AA wanted like 3 stops with a red eye to get there which is a huge time waste. Does anyone know if United or Alaska are better when it comes to actually using award miles for business class (actual availability for non-stops and number of miles needed)? Thanks!

what is your definition of best?
- do you value miles/points (or equivalent) for redemption over gaining status?

My main priority is to get status to get a chance at first class or business class upgrades for me and sometimes my partner when we travel.

- do you fly enough to gain any meaningful status?
Not now but I will- I think I'll travel 30K miles between work and personal transcon trips. I'm willing to do a biz class mileage run to Asia get an extra 20k miles.

- what do you want to use the miles/points for (award, upgrade, hotels, what ever)?
To get an award business class lie-flat seat on a long-haul international flight for a vacation every 1-2 years.

- what sort of flight award is of interest (destination, class of travel)?
Anywhere- Europe, Asia, Australia- I love to travel so if I can get a good deal international biz class deal I will go.

- are you interested in topping up by paying cash for miles?
Not really but if I'm short 1 or 2k miles I wouldn't mind paying.

- which airline and where do you normally fly?
Right now - various. United, Delta, AA- but once I pick the best FFP- I'll be married to one.

- are you primarily a leisure or business traveller?
Most biz. I have to choose the cheapest ticket possible.

- where do you live?
Los Angeles

- do you have other ways of earning points in the various programs, e.g. credit cards, shopping, etc,?
Yes, I have CSR and AmEx Platinum
Old Sep 23, 2018, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sharice SB
I just got a new job and will be doing a lot of small trips in the West Coast area. I never travelled that much before for business so I want to start giving my loyalty to one airline.

I'm very interested in knowing out of LAX which airline would I have the best chance of getting upgraded from economy with mid-tier status?

Right now I'm thinking Alaska since there are tons of Delta, AA and United elite flyers. There are a lot of MVP elite flyers but I think they are based out of SEA mostly so maybe in LAX at non-peak times I have a chance? Does anyone know which airline has the best upgrade availability for their elite status members? Not sure if there's an official report or anything.

Also I have like 150k miles on Delta and 120k miles on AA- I tried to book to an international trip using miles and it was essentially useless. Delta required like 300k miles for any availability for a biz class trip to Moscow and AA wanted like 3 stops with a red eye to get there which is a huge time waste.

Does anyone know if United or Alaska are better when it comes to actually using award miles for business class (actual availability for non-stops and number of miles needed)
Does your new employer have a travel policy and/or a preferred airline?
Will you book flights your self or via a corporate travel agent?

Does AS go where you want to go? The AS award chart is very prescriptive/limited.
AS & AA have a lot of common ff partner airlines.

Be mindful of expiry Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire. Click to open the wiki.
But DL ff miles do not (currently) expire.

With 150K DL ff miles & 120K AA ff miles need to be aware the grass in not always greener on the other side
Old Sep 23, 2018, 6:57 pm

Does your new employer have a travel policy and/or a preferred airline?
No- I can fly any one I want for a reasonable price.

Will you book flights your self or via a corporate travel agent?
I book flights myself.

Does AS go where you want to go? The AS award chart is very prescriptive/limited.
Yes- domestically they get where I want to go. Not sure about limitations of the award chart for booking internationally flights. Thinking AS has to be better than AA and Delta since literally I can't use my miles.

AS & AA have a lot of common ff partner airlines.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by Sharice SB
I think I'll travel 30K miles between work and personal transcon trips. I'm willing to do a biz class mileage run to Asia get an extra 20k miles.
The 50K tier at Alaska, when used with partners, is the second highest tier after MVP Gold 75K, so that would put you higher up in the upgrade order than AA or UA, for instance, where the 50K level is the third tier down the published list, and maybe even the fourth tier if you count their high revenue flyers that have special perks and upgrade priority over everyone (Concierge Key at AA, Global Services at UA). If you're buying domestic economy fares, Alaska will probably bring in more miles and more upgrades. The revenue based carriers would bring in 8 miles per dollar, pre-tax, at the 50K level. You need to estimate what your tickets would cost, and the distance flown, to see where you come out better.

Alaska is mostly based at SEA and SFO (only because of the Virgin America buyout), so LAX could be somewhat of a problem in terms of flying transcons. You're just not going to see as many routes with Alaska without a connection on the west coast. You need to plot out routes and see how you're impacted here. There really isn't a dominant carrier at LAX compared to SFO where UA has about 2/3 of the traffic - they all have the piece of the pie there.

You also need to sort out "where" you want to go with award travel, and what the tickets cost in miles. Depending where you want to go, Alaska miles may not be the best value. With British Airways as an example, both Alaska and AA will hit you with fuel surcharges into the hundreds of dollars. United does not do that when you fly with them to London, or American when you fly with them on either an AA or Alaska award. Alaska does have some other options, but they may be carriers you wouldn't ordinarily think of (Condor, Icelandic). For places like Australia, Alaska offers a better value than both AA and UA in terms of cost (55K one way in Qantas business compared to 70K/80K at AA/UA). It will be a challenge to find business class seats on either AA, Qantas or UA to Australia.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tom911
For places like Australia, Alaska offers a better value than both AA and UA in terms of cost (55K one way in Qantas business compared to 70K/80K at AA/UA). It will be a challenge to find business class seats on either AA, Qantas or UA to Australia.
And to Australia QF, AA, AS & Oneworld freq flyers are wanting the same award seats on the main airlines that fly the USA - Aust routes: AA & QF. There are other airlines like FJ & HA that can get you to Aust depending on your ffp

Will you be able to get credit card points(ff miles) into a ffp? A big ff mile earner for many people now.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 8:14 pm

Alaska is on the low end with awarding miles for signing up for their credit card. Typically they offer 30,000 miles, though on a flight this week they were offering 32,500 plus 1,000 extra miles if you signed up on board. They've had some targeted offers for 40,000 miles.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 1:45 am

Thanks so much Tom and Mwe for explaining. Tom I never thought about how with Alaska it's easier with the same miles to be in a higher tier vs. other airlines- good food for thought. For transcon I pretty much either go to Chicago or New York- so Alaska usually has at least one flight a day going there that I can get on so it works out. For the West the only time it doesn't work out is for LAX-PHX which looks like they have no routes. Mwe- yes I get to keep my miles and can xfer them to a FFP have been doing the 5x points for AMEX travel bookings to get the most bank for the buck. Actually after the whole not being able to use my AA/Delta miles I realize how fantastic credit card reward programs are since I can xfer to the award travel program that works for me and my itinerary. I'm going to get an Alaska credit card but will use it just really for the companion ticket when Alaska's transcon prices around the holidays to NY are like $600 instead of $300 or less.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 12:02 pm

Newbie to FT

Reply: Upgrades on travel, better award access and baggage allowance

Reply: <25000

Reply: economy

Reply: Any airlines, have flown AA/QR. I travel for pleasure.

Reply: US/Asia.

Reply: SDF

Reply: 30k AA and 20k QR

(8) Preferred Airlines
Reply: Anything

(9) do you have other ways of earning points in the various programs, e.g. credit cards, shopping, etc,?
Reply: MR and UR points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.