Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canadian credit card points programs question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2014, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Canadian credit card points programs question

Hi all. I am new to the forum and I am trying to determine what new card to get. I have a CIBC Aero Gold at present.

One of the most frustrating parts of selecting a new card (for me) is trying to determine the actual points needed to fly from one specific location to another. Oh yeas, all of the cards give some indication on their websites via a mileage chart, but they are not specific enough.

For example, The Capital One Aspire Card and the CIBC Aventura Card both have charts that say stuff like:
Canada and U.S. (Short Haul) 10,000 - 25,000 points (Max. $400 ticket value)
- Canada and U.S. (Long Haul) 20,000 - 40,000 points (Max. $650 ticket value)
- Mexico, Alaska, Hawaii, Central America, Caribbean 40,000 - 60,000 points (Max. $1,000 ticket value)
- Europe 50,000 - 70,000 points (Max. $1,200 ticket value)
- Rest of the World 75,000 - 125,000 points (Max. $2,000 ticket value)

Taking just the 'Short Haul' example above, my questions are:

1)What happens if the flight is more than $400?

2)When do I need 10,000 vs 25,000?

They won't let you get specific until you have the card, and I want specifics before I go through the hassles associated with a complete card change.

Perhaps I can get someone with an Aspire or Aventura card to check this particular flight for me:

Penticton BC Canada to Lethbridge Alberta Canada.

With my present card, I need 15000 points for this flight, but the number of seats available is severly restricted for points travel.

Could anyone please help me out by offering answers?

Thanks so much and regards
Geoff
Old Jan 29, 2014, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

I see my post has been properly place by the administrator. My bad.

I also see that more than 300 people have read the post and no replies yet. Anyone?

Thanks
Geoff
Old Jan 29, 2014, 5:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
1. You pay the extra using the card - straight up cash purchase, basically.
2. Depends on the cost of the ticket. With the Aventura card, you basically redeem Aventura points against the cost of the ticket. If the ticket costs more $$ you redeem more points.

To be honest, I feel like Aeroplan is better value for money than the in-house points of the Aventura or Aspire cards. This is especially true since you are flying from a smaller airport which means that you have to connect to a hub - perhaps even twice! Aeroplan just charges a flat rate per area, and does not count the extra stops that you would need to make.

I just took a quick peek at the Aventura site for the flight - and it wants 28,678 Aventura points or $286.78 for the flight on Feb 6. Basically, you can see that it is redeeming for 10,000 points per $100. Aeroplan is better value if you can find a Classic seat for 15,000 points.

Also, beware that switching cards from Aeroplan to Aventura does not mean that you get the bonus - that only applies for new applications. Your points will not convert either anymore.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 7:36 am
Original Poster

First off...thanks for responding! Great information.
I presently pay $150 a year for my card and one for my wife.
I collect 1 point per dollar spent. My flight selections on my present card are very restricted. I must Use the Aeroplan site only to find a flight. I need to spend $15,000 to earn 15,000 points.

With Aventura, I get a standard 1.5 points per dollar spent. The quote you found on Aventura would in effect then cause me to need to spend about $19,119 if I wanted to gain enough points. So, to use Aventura would indeed be more costly for me. What I do get though is no blackout periods and therefore a far greater chance at seats and selection of flights. I still have to book through the Aventura website.

If I go with Aspire, then (If their flight quote is the same as Aventura) who gives 2 points per dollar spent, I would need to spend $14,340 to earn enough points. Less than either of the above. I can then pick any flight, on any airline at any time from any agency.Aspire also gives you a 10,000 point bonus annually.

If I could get someone with the Aspire Card to check and see how many points would be needed for the previously noted flight, Penticton BC Canada to Lethbridge Alberta Canada, I could then be more sure that this is the best card for me.

Thanks again to everyone.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by gekog
I see my post has been properly place by the administrator. My bad.

I also see that more than 300 people have read the post and no replies yet. Anyone?

Thanks
Geoff
You might get more replies with an informative thread title. I though this one was about the exchange of fruit while traveling.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:17 am

Programs: Marriott Gold
Aeroplan also has bonus categories for extra points - if you have an Aerogold card, you get 1.5x for gas, groceries and drug stores. So this means that you can spend $10,000 on daily necessities and get the 15,000 points needed.

Another thing you should try is to do credit card churns. Look in the "Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs" forum for information. AMEX is an especially good company for this. They have very generous bonuses with first year free - after which you cancel and sign up for another one. This way, you could get your Aeroplan points for basically peanuts.

I recently signed up for the Amex Personal Rewards Gold Card, with First Year Free, which gave me 25,000 Amex Membership Rewards point after $500 charged to the card within 3 months. These points can be transferred instantly to Aeroplan, or British Airways Avios, or used to redeem travel the way that the Aspire card does. Thus, this gives me more flexibility. I also earn 2x points on gas, groceries, drugstore and travel charges, which gives me better earning possibilities. If you are interested in this card, please apply through my referral link!
Old Feb 5, 2014, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You might get more replies with an informative thread title. I though this one was about the exchange of fruit while traveling.
Done. Maybe some experts on this subject will notice this and stop by to add their two cents, now.

jackal
Moderator, Information Desk

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.