Search

New to the program

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2014, 11:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United
New to the program

Hi all,

I'm new to the site and have enjoyed reading the posts. Currently i have been flying back and forth from ORD to SNA or LAX but I starting to see that flying nonstop may not be the best way to go if I'm trying to earn miles.

By the end of Feb i will have 25,000 PQM on United and earn my 1st ever airline status!! My company also purchased me a Club membership for the year as well so i enjoyed this on Friday at LAX for the 1st time. It was enjoyable.

Im open to any suggestions or tips seeing that I'm such a newbie.

Im going to try and do my first milage run at some point this year. Hopefully out of LAX or SNA.

Thanks the great website and i look forward to learning more...

tr71123
Old Jan 29, 2014, 4:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Welcome and congrats ^ SAN has seen some good fares too recently so keep an eye out on the East Coast. Wish I'd have someone buy me a lounge membership.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Thanks and will do.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 9:19 am

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
On United, you can go to ORD via IAH or SFO, often for just a few more dollars.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 2:24 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG & Marriott Gold, CC Silver
If you have status and therefore earn a minimum (usu 500 miles) no matter how short the leg actually is, that can be a way to earn without flying that much more. So for example, PHL-BOS is 280 miles: my BF earned 560 miles on that trip (miles flown), but I earned 1000 (500 mile minimum). This is not counting the status bonus that you would earn on top of that.

You can use GCMap and ITA Matrix to search for distances and fares. And scan the mileage run thread here on FT.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Depending on how often you travel, substituting connecting flights for nonstops that don't add a lot of miles will not be good for either your physical or your mental health. Especially this time of the year and where you connect. Make sure the extra miles are worth the time and the hassle.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all
Old Feb 4, 2014, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Tons of info in the United forum here on FT: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...leageplus-681/

Much of it isn't really geared towards newbies, but read through some of the sticky threads (or threads linked in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ster-wiki.html) and you might get a feel for how to maximize your experience with United. United's version of a "flame-free newbie thread" is this: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...14-thread.html, so they may be able to help you with any simple questions there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.