Wiki Posts
Search

Need help choosing a city in India

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2009, 11:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, MR Plat Elite
Need help choosing a city in India

I have an opportunity to develop a partnership with an offshore software development firm. I've done some preliminary research and spoken with a couple of my Indian friends and I've narrowed it down to a few cities within India or two cities in Eastern Europe. All of the firms that I have contacted are capable of doing the work and will likely prove to be worthy partners for future development projects, but now I need to decide for my own selfish reasons, which firm to work with based on which city to visit and likely spend time in over what could be the next decade or more (I have a ten year running partnership with a Singapore firm in a different industry, so this is likely to go the same way). Obviously if I like one firm over another I will chose them, but I'm wondering if location can help with this decision. Here is my short list:

• Hyderabad
  • New Dehli
  • Cochin (Kochi, near Ernakulam) I have an existing supplier in Coimbatore so this potential partner gets extra consideration.
  • Ahmedabad

I would like to consider Mumbai, Chennai and Bangalore, but I haven't found the right fit yet.

I'm a UA guy, so UA or *A access is important, but not required (I'd consider laying over/working for a few days in SIN and then continuing to India as a way to open up more routes).

Any other pros or cons from those who do business there?

Thanks in advance,
FB
Old Aug 18, 2009, 2:40 am

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
You've got PM
Old Aug 18, 2009, 9:51 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond
I would suggest Chennai. It has got good *A connectivity LH to FRA, TG to BKK, SQ to SIN. Good domestic connectivity to Coimbatore as well. As far as IT goes Chennai is probably 2nd in India after Bangalore. It is also a manufacturing/auto hub in India.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Colts_01
I would suggest Chennai. It has got good *A connectivity LH to FRA, TG to BKK, SQ to SIN. Good domestic connectivity to Coimbatore as well.
Thanks, this is helpful. Additionally I here that Bangalore and Chennai have nice western airports.

Originally Posted by Colts_01
As far as IT goes Chennai is probably 2nd in India after Bangalore. It is also a manufacturing/auto hub in India.
This confirms what my Indian friends have stated. I guess I need to keep digging for a suitable firm in Chennai or Bangalore.

Thanks again,
FB
Old Aug 19, 2009, 1:42 am

Originally Posted by flying_bubba
Thanks, this is helpful. Additionally I here that Bangalore and Chennai have nice western airports.
No, that would be Hyderabad and Bangalore, Chennai's only just starting work on its new airport. Even the old ones have improved by leaps and bounds over the last few years since privatization though, so I wouldn't put this alone very high on my list of priorities...
Old Aug 19, 2009, 8:20 am
Original Poster

I was a little concerned about the older airports, but it's good to hear that this shouldn't be a concern.

Thanks,
FB
Old Aug 21, 2009, 10:30 am

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
Nothing at all wrong with Coimbatore if you can get a partner there + Cochin. Significantly cheaper costs than Chennai, and its a university town (Coimbatore is, at least). Cochin has pretty decent international connectivity to the middle east - so you could fly UA to DXB and fly from there into COK. Or fly into MAA and then into CJB or into COK your choice.

Originally Posted by flying_bubba

This confirms what my Indian friends have stated. I guess I need to keep digging for a suitable firm in Chennai or Bangalore.

Thanks again,
FB

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.