Community
Wiki Posts
Search

URGENT -response requested. Questions about DEL

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2009, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

URGENT -response requested. Questions about DEL

I am travelling to India for the first time by Jet Airways next week. Will be flying to Delhi from Brussels, arriving at 9.40 pm - my connecting flight to Calcutta is next morning. Can anyone advise what I should do upon arrival in Delhi? Specifically:
1 - how do I arrange transfer to the domestic airport?
2 - Is there a lounge/waiting area where I can spend the night? and of course, how safe is it?
Thank you and looking forward to responses.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 2:36 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Welcome to FlyerTalk rc_falcon02!

Transfers between the terminals are via an internal bus. Do not leave the baggage claim area. Find some staff person to show you where the inter-terminal bus leaves from.

That said, with a flight in the AM you may no be allowed to board the bus.

I have only been to the new domestic terminal once and I don't recall if the area before check-in has much in the way of seating. If it does, and if they don't kick you out of the building overnight, it will be generally safe. I wouldn't fall asleep leaving my bags unattended, but bring a huge laptop batter and some DVDs and you'll be fine. I did this in CCU last year.

Personally I'd prefer to hit the nearby Radisson hotel for the overnight.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 7:16 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
Stay at a hotel near Delhi airport. Dont even try to spend the night there. The Ibis in gurgaon isnt too bad .. not worth paying more than that for just a few hours sleep, or I'd say radisson, trident etc.

http://www.ibishotel.com/india/home....code_langue=gb
Old Jun 25, 2009, 11:33 pm

What time out is your flight in the morning?
Old Jul 6, 2009, 12:17 pm

Programs: 9W Plat, Flying Blue Elite, HHonors Gold, Accor Le Club Plat
Originally Posted by hserus
Stay at a hotel near Delhi airport. Dont even try to spend the night there. The Ibis in gurgaon isnt too bad .. not worth paying more than that for just a few hours sleep, or I'd say radisson, trident etc.

Very close to Ibis is an excellent guest house @:-) - clean, air conditioned, meal available, and costs around US$ 50-60. You'll have to find your own transport from and back to airport, though. PM me if you want more details.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 1:10 pm

Programs: TK/QR Gold, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, Avis/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hserus

19km from the airport - how long would that take on a monday morning for a 8.30am international flight?
Old Jul 6, 2009, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by Savage25
19km from the airport - how long would that take on a monday morning for a 8.30am international flight?
You'll want to get to the airport at 6:30AM so it won't take more than 20-25 minutes if that.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA lifetime gold, United Mileage Plus silver, Marriott Platinum Elite
I second that you want to get a hotel to stay the night.

If that is not an option .. or you think it is too expensive (Hotels in del are expensive) then another choice is the departure visitors lounge area outside the terminal.

It is functional, crowded but most people can find a place to sit and get some coffee/tea/snacks.

Again .... its functional ... nothing fancy (Cost is around Rs 100 to get in i think .... i have never used it but parents of a friend of mine who did not want to travel home late at night used it for a few hours on their return from the US)
Old Jul 17, 2009, 2:06 pm

Programs: DL SM, 9W Silver, UA, HHonors
I second the hotel route, unless you're really backpacking it. The chairs are hard in the International arrivals terminal, and the new domestic doesn't really have any hanging out areas, plus they don't usually allow you in earlier than 3 hours before departure for security reasons. Airport Residence (a new hotel near Dwarka-Link road), Ashok Country Resort (also near Dwarka-Link), Radisson and a plethora of budget options are close by...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.