Wiki Posts
Search

Debating Where To Stay in Delhi

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2005, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Talking Debating Where To Stay in Delhi

Hello!
We were considering visiting India in august and are looking for a place to stay at. We are currently considering hotels in the 150 - 200$ range. Maybe 50$ more. We have looked at The Oberoi, the Taj Mahal hotel, The Imperial and the Maurya Sheraton. Please advise us on which one of these to choose, based on luxury and service of the hotel.
Thank You.
Old Oct 1, 2005, 3:31 pm
At Large

welcome to FT. There are numerous threads about hotels in India and if you use the search function you will get more info than you ever wanted.
Look through all the major hotel chains listed on FT not just the SPG one which you asked your question on.
I presume you are going to stay in Delhi but you did not specify.
Old Oct 2, 2005, 3:14 pm

Programs: United MP, Qatar Privilege, Lufthansa
If you have the budget it is a no-brainer: the Oberoi is head and shoulders above the rest of the chains, and the 'vilas' properties (Agra, Jaipur, Udaipur, Ranthambore) are among the world's best.
Old Oct 2, 2005, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Talking

Originally Posted by parnel
welcome to FT. There are numerous threads about hotels in India and if you use the search function you will get more info than you ever wanted.
Look through all the major hotel chains listed on FT not just the SPG one which you asked your question on.
I presume you are going to stay in Delhi but you did not specify.
Oh yeah i forgot to specify that i was looking to stay in Delhi. Please Reply!
Thank You
Old Oct 3, 2005, 7:27 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by HOTELIER101
Oh yeah i forgot to specify that i was looking to stay in Delhi. Please Reply!
Thank You
I presumed you were talking about Delhi given the mention about the Maurya Sheraton (and the other hotels in the list).

There is a thread where I and a few others (in either the hotel forums or in this one) rated the hotels in DEL. I cannot run a search for you currently, but there was a fairly decent list and ranking there.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Thank You! I finally am deciding to choose the Maurya Sheraton for my stay while i am taking a connecting flight to Bombay. While returning, however i am booking at the Imperial(Its AAA Five Diamond award really attracted me)!
Old Oct 30, 2005, 12:00 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Thank You! I finally am deciding to choose the Maurya Sheraton for my stay while i am taking a connecting flight to Bombay. While returning, however i am booking at the Imperial(Its AAA Five Diamond award really attracted me)!
The Trident Hilton just outside of the city in Gurgaon is perhaps the most spectacular hotels you'll find. The price tag is hefty and you'll want to book well in advance.
Old Oct 30, 2005, 2:03 pm
Suspended

The Imperial is where The Moroccan Royal Tool -- he has many titles -- fools arounds when in Delhi.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 6:45 pm

Programs: Delta, United, HAL Mariners Society-3 star, Travel Century Club Member (102 countries visited)
Oberoi Maidens Hotel in Delhi

The real treat in Delhi is the Oberoi Maidens - in the Civil Lines area of Delhi - true old Raj elegance now conected to the Delhi underground and modern transit stations right at its front door. Beautiful grounds and old world ambiance and a short walk away from the far more interesting charms of Old Delhi. Highly recommended - this is where upper class Indians stay and you can't pick a better place to get started or end a trip to India. Take a look at its website and see if you don't fall in love with it.
Old Dec 10, 2005, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just booked in at the Oberoi- the corporate rate was 335 USD- is this correct or is there a way to get better rates?? It seems a bit pricy compared to the competition....
Old Dec 10, 2005, 10:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
I just booked in at the Oberoi- the corporate rate was 335 USD- is this correct or is there a way to get better rates?? It seems a bit pricy compared to the competition....
It seems high -- but I've never had to pay for a single one of my stays there either.

$159 to $229 is what comes up at this time of the year. And somewhat better -- or closer to $159 than $229 -- is generally had through local travel agencies.

When are you going?

(This week in Delhi the Oberoi is sold out for a few days and so that may be affecting the rates too but check out oberoihotels.com too.)
Old Dec 11, 2005, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
It seems high -- but I've never had to pay for a single one of my stays there either.

$159 to $229 is what comes up at this time of the year. And somewhat better -- or closer to $159 than $229 -- is generally had through local travel agencies.

When are you going?

(This week in Delhi the Oberoi is sold out for a few days and so that may be affecting the rates too but check out oberoihotels.com too.)
Thanks for the advice-depart tomorrow. I think that you are right that the rate was high because the hotel is sold out- I ended up at the JW Marriott on the club level for 239 USD at a corporate rate.
Old Dec 11, 2005, 3:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Thanks for the advice-depart tomorrow. I think that you are right that the rate was high because the hotel is sold out- I ended up at the JW Marriott on the club level for 239 USD at a corporate rate.
JW Marriott in DEL? Or do you mean the Marriott in Saket/DEL?

When I think JW Marriott and India I think of the one in Bombay.

I hope there is no confusion about the cities. For the New Delhi Marriott (in Saket) -- no JW Marriott in DEL that I know of -- it may be useful to have the address since even nowadays some cabbies have issues with finding the Marriott in DEL.

(The JW Marriott in Bombay, cabbies have less of an issue finding.)

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 11, 2005 at 3:20 pm
Old Dec 12, 2005, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
JW Marriott in DEL? Or do you mean the Marriott in Saket/DEL?

When I think JW Marriott and India I think of the one in Bombay.

I hope there is no confusion about the cities. For the New Delhi Marriott (in Saket) -- no JW Marriott in DEL that I know of -- it may be useful to have the address since even nowadays some cabbies have issues with finding the Marriott in DEL.

(The JW Marriott in Bombay, cabbies have less of an issue finding.)
You are right! Thanks for the tip- without FT I would have ended up without a room....yikes
Old Dec 12, 2005, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Angry

Originally Posted by sbagal
The real treat in Delhi is the Oberoi Maidens - in the Civil Lines area of Delhi - true old Raj elegance now conected to the Delhi underground and modern transit stations right at its front door. Beautiful grounds and old world ambiance and a short walk away from the far more interesting charms of Old Delhi. Highly recommended - this is where upper class Indians stay and you can't pick a better place to get started or end a trip to India. Take a look at its website and see if you don't fall in love with it.
On the contrary, although many high - class Indians choose to stay there, it is not that good of a hotel at all. You know, i say this because i had to go through the horrible experience of staying there during my trip. First of all, we arrived there atabout 12:00 pm in the night, after booking a few MONTHS earlier for a suite, and they said "Sorry, Sir, but we are sold out, however we can shift you to the Gujarati samaj for one night as it is right next by". I was totally horrified, i mean, the GUJARATI SAMAJ? that place is filled with bimbos who sleep on the floor and food that causes diarrhea. I mean seriously, i would have wanted better vlue for my money. So anyway, when we moved into the 'Oberoi Maidens' it was another shock. Their 'suite' which cost 12,000 Rs per night, was although HUGE, very dilapidated and in general, ANCIENT, and when i say that, i mean it. The T.V which you would expect to be a plasma, was in actuality 15 inches and it was crt! Anyways, on top of that i though we had complimentary tea, so we ordered a pot of tea. When the waiter came, he gave us a bill of !!500!! rs. SHOCKING!! So i call up the front desk, and ask him about the price, when it was complimentary. And guess what he says? "Sir, This is the "OBEROI" nothing is complimentary" in a very mocking tone. Gosh was i mad. And the breakfast in the morning was HORRIBLE! So all in all, i would not reccomend anyone to stay here. Absolutely not!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.