Wiki Posts
Search

Debating Where To Stay in Delhi

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2005, 9:30 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I don't personally know anyone who has stayed at the Maidens, which is rather surprising given my travels and dealings in DEL.

TRAVELSIG, glad that the confusion was resolved.
Old Dec 12, 2005, 9:41 am

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I don't personally know anyone who has stayed at the Maidens, which is rather surprising given my travels and dealings in DEL.

TRAVELSIG, glad that the confusion was resolved.
I would be surprised if would choose to stay at the Maidens over the choices that are now available. I haven't had any experience there except a coffee one morning out in their front lawn many, many years ago, which was decent. It is Delhi's first Five Star hotel (and probably still is Old Delhi's only one-- or am I mistaken?), and so there is certainly an old-world charm to the place, but I can't imagine (or would recommend) staying there.

It certainly is more accessible with the Metro now.
Old Dec 12, 2005, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Thanks for the advice-depart tomorrow. I think that you are right that the rate was high because the hotel is sold out- I ended up at the JW Marriott on the club level for 239 USD at a corporate rate.
I'd love to know your thoughts on the Marriott in Saket. I grew up in the neighborhood (around the PVR complex) and could never have imagined an international Five Star hotel there.
How things have changed in Delhi...
Old Dec 12, 2005, 9:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by knit-in
I'd love to know your thoughts on the Marriott in Saket. I grew up in the neighborhood (around the PVR complex) and could never have imagined an international Five Star hotel there.
How things have changed in Delhi...
I've stayed there a few times, including right when it opened. The rates used to be amongst the cheapest you could get for that standard ... think $89 in 2001/2002.

The Marriott, at least then, had more of a "smallish" feel to it than any of the major brands. Rooms had the same kind of feel (albeit felt a little smaller on a few occassions) as the Taj hotels in DEL. The room-service food was good. The staff friendly and professional. The hotel lobby gets far more natural light than most all of the top-end hotels in DEL. I find other hotels in DEL to be better than the Marriott, but have no complaints about the Marriott. (And I won't say anything about your old neighborhood. )
Old Dec 12, 2005, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I've stayed there a few times, including right when it opened. The rates used to be amongst the cheapest you could get for that standard ... think $89 in 2001/2002.

The Marriott, at least then, had more of a "smallish" feel to it than any of the major brands. Rooms had the same kind of feel (albeit felt a little smaller on a few occassions) as the Taj hotels in DEL. The room-service food was good. The staff friendly and professional. The hotel lobby gets far more natural light than most all of the top-end hotels in DEL. I find other hotels in DEL to be better than the Marriott, but have no complaints about the Marriott. (And I won't say anything about your old neighborhood. )
Its a fairly typical south Delhi neighborhood. Parts of it are terrible traffic bottleneck-- with the vegetable vendors and the bus stop. Is the mosque still next to the petrol pump, by the hotel?

Back in the 70s it used to be the "end" of South Delhi, till things started expanding southwards (and now south of South Delhi, in Gurgaon etc.). The site for the hotel had always been there since the late-70s, but the hotel has come up fairly recently-- 3-4 years ago? It used to be a lot less commercial till the PVR people turned that complex around, and now it is some of the pricies real estate in Delhi.

My parents, sadly, sold and moved just before the boom.
Old Dec 12, 2005, 12:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by knit-in
Its a fairly typical south Delhi neighborhood. Parts of it are terrible traffic bottleneck-- with the vegetable vendors and the bus stop. Is the mosque still next to the petrol pump, by the hotel?

Back in the 70s it used to be the "end" of South Delhi, till things started expanding southwards (and now south of South Delhi, in Gurgaon etc.). The site for the hotel had always been there since the late-70s, but the hotel has come up fairly recently-- 3-4 years ago? It used to be a lot less commercial till the PVR people turned that complex around, and now it is some of the pricies real estate in Delhi.

My parents, sadly, sold and moved just before the boom.
Don't feel so bad. In the 1970s, some people I know were offered dirt-cheap -- by any old or current standards -- land in DEL by the then government as part of a scheme to encourage politicians to settle there. One such person declined the preferential rates -- at least in part -- on the basis of something like "I do not wish to live in Delhi". (For a bit of background: The same individual probably didn't really need a place in Delhi. Something akin to "3 months in jail yielding undue housing pension".)

In 2001/2002, there was a gas station nearby; the mosque I didn't notice. It could have still been there.

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 12, 2005 at 12:07 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.