Search

Delhi Airport International Transfer with Hand Luggage only

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2024, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Delhi Airport International Transfer with Hand Luggage only

I've read the following in other threads:

C. International to International transfer

After landing look for the board saying "International Transfers" (DO NOT go through immigration).

1. If you are on a single ticket and already have boarding pass in hand with "DT" (Direct Transfer) printed on it, walk past the transfer desks and go through transit security. Then you can proceed to the departure lounges and gates. Note: if your boarding pass does not have "DT" printed on it, you need to talk to the transfer desk, otherwise the I-I security checkpoint will likely not let you through and send you back to the transfer desk.

2. If you have separate tickets or don't have your onward boarding pass in hand, you have to go to the transfer desk where the airline staff will check documents and issue your onward boarding pass. You cannot check-in online or get an e-Boarding Passes for international flights out of India. Check-in generally opens 4 hours before and closes 60-75 minutes before departure. Then go through transit security as in point 1.

3. There are no priority security lanes in transit security so it is advisable to keep adequate time (>2 hrs) between connecting flights even if you are in F or J.

4. If you have separate tickets, in addition it is advisable to hold an Indian visa or e-visa as you may be denied boarding at origin otherwise.

5. A transit hotel for overnight stays (up to 24 hours) is available after transit security.

I'm travelling hand luggage only from ATH-IST-DEL in Oct with Turkish Airlines and then DEL-KAT on a separate ticket with Vistara. (3hr transfer time)
I'm returning KAT-DEL (5hr transfer time) and then DEL-CDG-NCL

I may not have my DEL-KAT boarding pass on leaving ATH

If I don't need pick up checked bags, can I just head to the transfer desk, get my boarding pass printed for Kathmandu and proceed from there.

I'm reluctant to pay for an Indian Visa if its not needed.

Any help, much appreciated!
Old Mar 7, 2024, 10:20 pm

Get an Indian (e-)visa.

TK is likely to deny you boarding at ATH without an Indian visa, and there's a non-zero chance that the transfer desk won't want to help you on arrival. I just had a colleague who was going DAC-DEL-CMB on separate tickets and they refused to issue his boarding pass at the transfer desk. He ended up having to go all the way out through immigration and customs and back in to the checkin counter, which combined with AI having arrived 90 mins late, caused him to miss his flight.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
You have better chance of getting a response by posting in the thread you picked up the information from.

Delhi IGI [DEL] connection/departure experience reports
Old Mar 8, 2024, 1:22 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
evisa fees drop to 10$ next month, get a visa for safety. Interesting to know Vistara flies to KAT in NZ KAT - Kaitaia, NTL, NZ - Airport - Great Circle Mapper
der_saeufer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.