Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

All About Niranta Airport Hotel

Old Feb 11, 18, 5:44 am
Original Poster

Lots of Niranta details are buried in the BOM transit thread, and there are two of these thread to boot. So I think the unique situation of Niranta at BOM deserves its own thread.

My understanding is that there are 3 properties:
  1. Departure/Airside
  2. Arrivale/Land-side
  3. Outside
Arrival/Landside: One-way flight to/from Mumbai is mandatory to confirm hotel booking. The hotels are located at Terminal 2, Mumbai Airport. After check in guest can exit/enter the terminal.

Departure/Airside: Hotel is located at International Departure after security check (Adjacent to Food court). International Flight Boarding pass is mandatory to access the hotel. For International Transfer passenger visa is not required.

What I don't understand is what happens to luggage?

For incoming transfer: baggage claim is normally after immigration. How can that work unless you have a rare ticket with your baggage interline check through?

Even for departure: you can't usually check in baggage more than a few hours before take-off, so how can you really make use of this airside hotel in any case?

Other trivial information I gathered:
  • no windows, and small rooms (to be expected)
  • the hotel (and the BOM intl' airport halls in general) are not mosquito free
    • but any reasonable person traveling through India would not be paranoid about this, it's more like a nuisance than a risk.
  • AC doesn't get temperature below 25 degree Celsius.
  • breakfast is weak considering the price of the stay.
Add anything you want, especially practical experience with the handling of transfer and baggage.
Old Feb 11, 18, 5:10 pm

Just curious - for the property at the departure side (International),. does the hotel levy India's extortionate hotel taxes, considering it is supposed to be outside the taxable area?

PS. What does 'Niranta' mean?
Old Feb 12, 18, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by gschadow View Post
What I don't understand is what happens to luggage?

For incoming transfer: baggage claim is normally after immigration. How can that work unless you have a rare ticket with your baggage interline check through?

Even for departure: you can't usually check in baggage more than a few hours before take-off, so how can you really make use of this airside hotel in any case?
typically these type of transit hotels in the international transit area are not meant for people who are traveling on separate tickets....people on a single ticket have their bags checked to their final destination & this is not something that is rare....its extremely common....
Old Feb 12, 18, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Niranta means something like eternal peace. I hope that's not because the rooms feel like in a coffin

I am sure the hotel is taxed and what you don't pay as taxes you pay in airport surcharge / overpriced.

Of course having baggage checked through is common if your airport is a major hub. But what's not so very common is to have a lot of spare time on a layover. Yes, yes, I know sometimes it happens. And then half the travelers want to use the opportunity to explore the city for 10 hours. And may be a few would sleep. I guess they must know if it is a business for them as it is. .And yes, even a 4 hour layover might make it worthwhile to check in on an hourly basis.

The most useful use IMO would be to sleep in the night of your departing flight. And then you have the problem that you can't check in your luggage until 4 hours of the flight. Either way you cut it, the use is extremely limited.

I have written them an email before I book. Let's see what they are telling me if they reply at all.
Old Feb 19, 18, 10:18 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
So you have not stayed there at all so far?

I stayed there in March 2016 and it was a rather nice setup for me arriving before midnight on LH and leaving around 6.50am on AI domestic. You collect your luggage, go thru customs and the Niranta agent stands right in front of the door after customs. They help you with your luggage and take you one level down to a CISF checkpoint which xrays your luggage. Then you go to the landside hotel which checks you in and assigns you a room. The rooms are pretty nice and standard Indian 4* quality. I was too worked up for private reasons to really sleep in the 4h I stayed there. Can't remember the exact cost, but it was about 4500 INR including luxury taxes. In retrospect, the option of paying Rs 1800 for the lounge airside would have been OK instead. The nice GVK lounge had not opened back then. Nowadays I just wait for the AI checkin to open at 2.30 or 3am and then hang out in the GVK lounge using either the AI lounge pass I get as *G or the lounge opposite using PP.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: