Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transit through New Delhi to Maldives - March 2021 COVID-19

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2021, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Arrow Transit through New Delhi to Maldives - March 2021 COVID-19

Hi there - any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I've bought a self transfer ticket from the US to the Maldives via New Delhi and I'm not sure if transit is allowed, given the COVID-19 restrictions.

USA-India
Departure Date 12-March-2021 09:20 PM (EST)
Arrival Date 13-March-2021 09:30 PM (Delhi Time)
New York Newark -> Delhi on United Airlines 801 flight

Transit in New Delhi Airport International Terminal 13-March-2021 09:30 PM - 14-March-2021 08:10 AM

India-Maldives
Departure Date 14-March-2021 08:10 AM (Delhi Time)
Arrival Date 14-March-2021 12:30 PM (Maldives Time)
Delhi -> Male on GoAir 1531 flight

The intention is to change flights in the International Terminal in New Delhi airport, without entering the country.
I'll aim to have a negative PCR COVID-19 test not older than 72hrs.

Does anyone have any recent experience with this?
Old Feb 21, 2021, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Transit is allowed, however doing it on separate tickets without entering the country might be tricky.
If you travel with checked luggage you might have to pass immigration unless you can interline it.
UA arrives at Terminal 3, GoAir seems to depart out of terminal 2.
I'm not sure terminal transfer can be done without entering the country.
A transfer visa might be a good option.

All arrivals to India need to register and upload a negative covid-19 test to Air Suvidha. https://www.newdelhiairport.in/covid19.
The test should be taken within 72h of flight departure.
Approval takes a couple of hours - bring a printout!

Last edited by YumYumcake; Feb 21, 2021 at 9:48 pm Reason: luggage, terminal change
Old Feb 22, 2021, 12:10 am

delated

Last edited by superboi; Feb 22, 2021 at 8:45 am Reason: deleted incorrect info (see post #5 below)
Old Feb 22, 2021, 12:51 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Sorry no international transit allowed thru India at this time... and tourist visa are not issued. Find a different transit point...
Old Feb 22, 2021, 8:47 am

Sorry, I didn't check the air bubble regulations. oliver2002 is correct. The relevant extracts are below:

From USA to India

i. Stranded Indian nationals;

ii. All Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) cardholders holding US passports; and

iii. Foreigners (including diplomats), who are eligible to enter India as per Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) guidelines dated 30.06.2020 as amended from time to time.

From India to Maldives:

i. Maldivian nationals/residents and foreign nationals holding valid Maldivian visas, if required;

ii. Any Indian national. It would be for the airlines concerned to ensure that there is no travel restriction for Indian nationals to enter Maldives before issue of ticket/ boarding pass to the Indian passenger.
So unless OP is an Indian citizen or holds a diplomatic passport the option of transiting through India is not available.

(Deleted earlier post with incorrect info above)
Adrianamavro likes this.

Last edited by superboi; Feb 22, 2021 at 8:56 am Reason: added quote
Old Feb 22, 2021, 9:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH, SEN, RJ Platinum, ALL Diamond, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I was searching for information in this regard as well, but could not see any reference to transit itself. This refers to entering India, but in this case OP would not enter India.
Hence not sure if the mentioned rules applies for transit at all?
Old Feb 22, 2021, 10:07 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
If you look at the health TIMATIC it clealy says no transit allowed. https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/int...1580226297.htm
Atlantico and Adrianamavro like this.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Thank you, this is very useful! I'll start searching for alternatives.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by YumYumcake
Transit is allowed, however doing it on separate tickets without entering the country might be tricky.
If you travel with checked luggage you might have to pass immigration unless you can interline it.
UA arrives at Terminal 3, GoAir seems to depart out of terminal 2.
transit is not allowed but just for a reference point, the go air flight to male operates out to terminal 3 so under normal non-covid circumstances a change in terminal would not have been required....
Adrianamavro likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.