All flights suspended in India

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

All flights suspended in India

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2021, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
this was on expected lines....i have a feeling may or june will probably be the months where they start regularly scheduled operations for most countries....
Old Apr 12, 2021, 8:14 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Food restrictions going back in for flights <2h: https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/82032340.cms
Old Apr 17, 2021, 11:48 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
International Flights suspended till 30 Apr 2021?

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Intl flights suspended for another month:

https://twitter.com/DGCAIndia/status...76736102109186
https://www.skyscanner.co.in/news/co...us-information

I am here in India, booked to fly out to JFK on JAL (JL30 -> JL6) next week. There seems to be some uncertainty that I can't find clarity on at the moment. A friend, who was booked to fly on Qatar next week, found out that his flight was canceled. A google search revealed the above skyscaner thread that has information on Qatar's suspension but has nothing re: JAL's. Tonight's JL30 is scheduled on time, and Friday's flight left as well.

Anyone have any information that I may have missed?

Many thanks!
Old Apr 19, 2021, 12:52 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

The 'bubble' agreement with Japan (and Qatar) doesn't officially allow you to transit to go to the US: https://www.civilaviation.gov.in/en/...nsport-bubbles

It may very well be that JL will deny you boarding as they are not allowed to transport transit pax. You might wantto call the local JL airport office to ask how they handle such situation(s).
Old Apr 19, 2021, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002
The 'bubble' agreement with Japan (and Qatar) doesn't officially allow you to transit to go to the US: https://www.civilaviation.gov.in/en/...nsport-bubbles

It may very well be that JL will deny you boarding as they are not allowed to transport transit pax. You might wantto call the local JL airport office to ask how they handle such situation(s).
Oh! So, while they are actually selling tickets on the JAL website from DEL to JFK via HND, they aren't actually allowed to transport transit pax in Tokyo?!

Thanks so much for directing me to that information. I'll be sure to call.

EDIT TO ADD:

Called JAL's 800 number from the site under contact info for India. According to the agent if I was transiting within 24 hours from the same terminal in HND, I wouldn't have a problem. The agent did not know anything about the India restrictions. She couldn't guide me to any specific India number either, but I'll look into it.

I am actually in Chandigarh, so getting to Delhi is in any case a schlep with the curfews and such. I wouldn't want to add a return trip to it, in case they don't let me board in DEL.

Last edited by knit-in; Apr 19, 2021 at 10:37 pm
Old Apr 20, 2021, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by knit-in
Oh! So, while they are actually selling tickets on the JAL website from DEL to JFK via HND, they aren't actually allowed to transport transit pax in Tokyo?!

Thanks so much for directing me to that information. I'll be sure to call.

EDIT TO ADD:

Called JAL's 800 number from the site under contact info for India. According to the agent if I was transiting within 24 hours from the same terminal in HND, I wouldn't have a problem. The agent did not know anything about the India restrictions. She couldn't guide me to any specific India number either, but I'll look into it.

I am actually in Chandigarh, so getting to Delhi is in any case a schlep with the curfews and such. I wouldn't want to add a return trip to it, in case they don't let me board in DEL.
i hope things turn out well for you but please keep in mind that there is a strong likelihood that they will deny boarding in del....the government has been extremely clear that transit travel to usa is not allowed....it ultimately falls on the airline whether they want to follow the rules but the rules are pretty clear here....
Old Apr 20, 2021, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by Keyser
i hope things turn out well for you but please keep in mind that there is a strong likelihood that they will deny boarding in del....the government has been extremely clear that transit travel to usa is not allowed....it ultimately falls on the airline whether they want to follow the rules but the rules are pretty clear here....
Thanks.

I reached out to someone at the airport-- not JAL, unfortunately-- but an official in the know (or supposedly), said that he hadn't yet come across a situation where US bound pax, transiting in other countries were held back. When I elaborated and sent the Civil Aviation link posted by Oliver2002, he said that as a US citizen I should be fine since the language of the rules allows passengers with valid entry permit to Japan to travel there::

A. From India to Japan

i. Stranded nationals/residents of Japan and foreign nationals holding valid Japanese visas subject to the border measures and travel restrictions imposed by the government of Japan at the time of travel; )

This is, of course, one person's interpretation, so can't be completely relied upon. But from these rules, it seems like passengers traveling to the US can only fly the non-stops plus BA (and AC, maybe?).

Last edited by knit-in; Apr 20, 2021 at 8:52 am
Old Apr 20, 2021, 9:04 am

The lady mentioned in their Delhi office registration (https://www.zaubacorp.com/company/JA...-CO-LTD/F00622) with email ID seems to be the GM of JAL in India (as per Linkedin). You could write her an email with your concerns...
Old Apr 20, 2021, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks.

I reached out to someone at the airport-- not JAL, unfortunately-- but an official in the know (or supposedly), said that he hadn't yet come across a situation where US bound pax, transiting in other countries were held back. When I elaborated and sent the Civil Aviation link posted by Oliver2002, he said that as a US citizen I should be fine since the language of the rules allows passengers with valid entry permit to Japan to travel there::

A. From India to Japan

i. Stranded nationals/residents of Japan and foreign nationals holding valid Japanese visas subject to the border measures and travel restrictions imposed by the government of Japan at the time of travel; )

This is, of course, one person's interpretation, so can't be completely relied upon. But from these rules, it seems like passengers traveling to the US can only fly the non-stops plus BA (and AC, maybe?).
what you are quoting is for travel from india - japan, which is allowed under the bubble rules....the problem lies in transiting through japan or any other country....this is what the indian government is not allowing....
Old Apr 23, 2021, 3:57 am

what you are quoting is for travel from india - japan, which is allowed under the bubble rules....the problem lies in transiting through japan or any other country....this is what the indian government is not allowing....
Did not get any clarity on this, so I have now changed plans and canceled my JAL flight this afternoon.

Which flights are Americans allowed to fly back to the USA, other than the AI and UA direct ones?
Old Apr 23, 2021, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did not get any clarity on this, so I have now changed plans and canceled my JAL flight this afternoon.

Which flights are Americans allowed to fly back to the USA, other than the AI and UA direct ones?
between india - usa its only ai & ua....

anything else means playing around with the rules a little bit....some people have posted success in transiting via doh & dxb....some have broken their journey by a day or so in places like dxb & lhr & then carried over to usa....

the simple answer is that only direct flights are permitted by the indian government at the moment....if you want to transit via another country then you have to take the risk of being denied boarding....
Old Apr 23, 2021, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP HH GOLD EY GOLD
Other option is via LHR for US passport holders, that's within the scope of the travel bubble with UK, however BA flights have been running very busy. I have done 2 of those trips one in Sep and one last week.
Like others mentioned of DOH, DXB being other options, I did that in February, without any questions asked. However, airlines may cite bubble rules to deny boarding on transit via DOH, though I have not seen/heard an instance but that doesn't mean it can't or didn't happen YMMV.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 8:49 pm

between india - usa its only ai & ua....

anything else means playing around with the rules a little bit....some people have posted success in transiting via doh & dxb....some have broken their journey by a day or so in places like dxb & lhr & then carried over to usa....

the simple answer is that only direct flights are permitted by the indian government at the moment....if you want to transit via another country then you have to take the risk of being denied boarding....
Originally Posted by DELANRDFW
Other option is via LHR for US passport holders, that's within the scope of the travel bubble with UK, however BA flights have been running very busy. I have done 2 of those trips one in Sep and one last week.
Like others mentioned of DOH, DXB being other options, I did that in February, without any questions asked. However, airlines may cite bubble rules to deny boarding on transit via DOH, though I have not seen/heard an instance but that doesn't mean it can't or didn't happen YMMV.
Apparently, a DL ticketed AF/ KL flight via CDG/ AMS is also an option. Has to be ticketed by DL. DL is also selling award tickets on VS via LHR.

All of it would probably be moot in this very quickly changing environment. UA has already suspended flights "temporarily".
Old Apr 24, 2021, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Apparently, a DL ticketed AF/ KL flight via CDG/ AMS is also an option. Has to be ticketed by DL. DL is also selling award tickets on VS via LHR.

All of it would probably be moot in this very quickly changing environment. UA has already suspended flights "temporarily".
the ua flights were cancelled due to disagreements over testing for crew members....they are resuming all flights from tomorrow....

the dl option is a bit of a tricky one....my source in the civil aviation ministry told me that if originating in usa then the dl option is allowed but it is not allowed when the flight originates in india....this doesn't make a whole lot of sense but then again this is puri-ji & the modi government we are talking about here....not a lot makes sense with them in any case....
Old Apr 26, 2021, 3:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, Eurostar CB, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz President Circle
What's going on with flights between UK and India?

Seems AI blanket cancelled everything soon after India was put on the red list but BA/VS continued flying until yesterday, but now BA/VS have also posted cancellations for 26th/27th (except HYD flight which is due to land soon). AI due to fly from BOM on 27th as it stands. Seems BA138 actually flew today (26/04) according to FR24, but I presume without passengers as it shows up as a cancelled flight on BA app. A travel agent in India is telling me direct flights are now suspended, but not sure what the source of this is but something seems to be afoot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.