Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

QUESTIONS about OCI re-issue

QUESTIONS about OCI re-issue

Old Feb 12, 20, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
The current exemption is till June 2020.

https://qatarairways.zendesk.com/hc/...Bound-to-India
thanks for the info....
Old Feb 13, 20, 7:03 pm

Programs: Delta
Might I ask if your sister is over 50? The rule about new OCIs after getting a new passport is for those over 50 when the new passport is issued (as is the exemption till June 2020). I wonder if some immigration officers are pushing for new OCIs for anyone with a passport that does not match the OCI. I had this experience in December departing India where the immigration officer looked at my OCi and passport and said "it would have been better" if I had the OCI re-issued (even though I don't yet need to under the rules).

Of course this is all just part of dealing with India - officials sometimes bend or make up rules ad lib.
Old Feb 14, 20, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Bandicoot View Post
Might I ask if your sister is over 50? The rule about new OCIs after getting a new passport is for those over 50 when the new passport is issued (as is the exemption till June 2020). I wonder if some immigration officers are pushing for new OCIs for anyone with a passport that does not match the OCI. I had this experience in December departing India where the immigration officer looked at my OCi and passport and said "it would have been better" if I had the OCI re-issued (even though I don't yet need to under the rules).

Of course this is all just part of dealing with India - officials sometimes bend or make up rules ad lib.
nowhere near 50....she turned 30 recently....
Old Feb 14, 20, 6:18 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
For anyone in the UK looking for an OCI re issue ( over 50 / children etc ) the process seems to be very quick nowadays.

My friend applied for a OCI reissue for his son ( new passport ) and he got the re issued OCI in around a week .

mrs.ukdoctor appied for her first OCI and got her original documents back in around a week and got the OCI around 3 weeks later. Not bad considering that she had applied the week before Christmas.

Also for the UK the process has been changed for both new OCI and re issue
They take all original documents at the time of initial application ( unfortunately you or close family member has to go in person) and they send the original docs back in a few days and then send the OCI in a separate envelope once its processed.

In the old process you had to make a second visit to give your British passport once oci was granted but now the OCi is sent to you via royal mail/courier when ready .
Old Feb 14, 20, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
question for those with their oci on their old passport....

my sister came to india earlier this week....she got a new passport earlier this year & her oci is still on her old passport....during check-in she was informed that from june onward the oci needs to be on the current passport....

does anyone know whats the latest on this rule????
Was her former passport obtained before she was 20?

Not sure what your sister's nationality is but for the UK you can get a 10 year passport if you are above the age of 16 and if under that age its only valid for 5 years .

if the British passport is renewed before you turn 20 and after you cross 50 you are supposed to renew your OCI.

just a hypothesis .
Old Feb 14, 20, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ukdoctor View Post
Was her former passport obtained before she was 20?

Not sure what your sister's nationality is but for the UK you can get a 10 year passport if you are above the age of 16 and if under that age its only valid for 5 years .

if the British passport is renewed before you turn 20 and after you cross 50 you are supposed to renew your OCI.

just a hypothesis .
us passport....her old passport was obtained after she was 20....
Old Feb 14, 20, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
us passport....her old passport was obtained after she was 20....
Strange. Cannot see any notification asking for renewal of OCI if foreign passport is renewed between 20 to 50 years.

I follow most of the immigration forums and cannot see anyone commenting about this .
Old Yesterday, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by ukdoctor View Post
Strange. Cannot see any notification asking for renewal of OCI if foreign passport is renewed between 20 to 50 years.

I follow most of the immigration forums and cannot see anyone commenting about this .
Indeed, weird!

All I see is this (from an earlier post)
Passengers with an overseas citizen of India (OCI) Card younger than 21 years must have both passports when the passport number in the OCI Card does not much the one in the valid passport.
Passengers with an overseas citizen of India (OCI) Card 50 years or older must have both passports when the passport number in the OCI does not match the one in the valid passport

Search this Thread
Search Engine: