Reload this Page >

QUESTIONS about OCI re-issue after turning 20/50 years

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 5, 2022, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Link to the latest guideline in force: https://www.mha.gov.in/sites/default...s_16072021.pdf

If you are below 20 and get a new passport:
go to https://ociservices.gov.in/ click on 'OCI Miscellaneous Services' and update your details, upload a pdf of your new passport and a jpg of a recent passport foto.

You will receive an email confirming the submission and sometime later get another email confirming the update. Nothing is reissued.

If you were issued an OCI card when you were younger than 20 and get a new passport:
you have to apply for a reissue of the OCI card.

go to https://ociservices.gov.in/ click on 'OCI Miscellaneous Services' and update your details, upload a pdf of you new passport and a jpg of a recent passport foto.

Then contact your local mission to submit the old OCI card and receive the new one. Some missions do this on site, mssions with a larger Indian community like the UK/US use a service provider like VFS for that.

If you were issued an OCI card when you were older than 20 and get a new passport:
You don't need to do anything. The next time you fly to India, it would be advisable to carry the old passport with you. If you have time on hand and nothing else to do:

go to https://ociservices.gov.in/ click on 'OCI Miscellaneous Services' and update your details, upload a pdf of you new passport and a jpg of a recent passport foto.
You will receive an email confirming the submission and sometime later get another email confirming the update. Nothing is reissued.

If you were issued an OCI card when you were older than 20 and get a new passport after you turned 50:
go to https://ociservices.gov.in/ click on 'OCI Miscellaneous Services' and update your details, upload a pdf of your new passport and a jpg of a recent passport foto.

The TIMATIC entries are currently as follows: checked on EK on 09FEB2024: https://www.emirates.com/de/english/...destination=in

Visa Exemptions:
Passengers with an Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) card or booklet. A physical OCI card or booklet is required. A digital or photocopy of the OCI card or booklet is not accepted.
Passengers with an Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) card must apply for a new Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) card only once when they obtain a new passport after turning 20 years old.

Print Wikipost

QUESTIONS about OCI re-issue after turning 20/50 years

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2017, 1:13 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by knit-in
I would err on the side of caution with this, regardless of anecdotal evidence.

I don' t know when this rule came into effect, but since 2009, when my child's first passport was renewed (and OCI wasn't), she has traveled to India at least once a year, so my own experience over 7-8 years suggests that passport control in India don't really care very much about this, yet now that I know, I will surely get this rectified.
Yes, I'll get it rectified soon. I guess erring on the side of caution is always good -- especially when traveling halfway around the world
Old May 12, 2017, 8:55 am

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by FlyerWx
Yes, I'll get it rectified soon. I guess erring on the side of caution is always good -- especially when traveling halfway around the world
If you get to it before I do, could you post your experience, please. I'll do the same.

Thanks!
Old May 21, 2017, 2:28 pm

I am not able to findout if there is Expedited Service for extra fee can anyone please tell if it's possible?
Old May 27, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by jamesbondc
I am not able to findout if there is Expedited Service for extra fee can anyone please tell if it's possible?
To my knowledge, there are no legitimate ways to expedite your OCI application. The processing time seems to be highly dependent on the Embassy/Consulate in your jurisdiction.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 1:02 am

Aha. Chance to rant on my favorite beef with Indian babus.

This is one of the most stupid rules I have encountered. (and there are lots when it comes to India)

Face does change with time and need to update photograph after certain period of time make sense. But....

why does a person getting OCI at 49, need again at 51?
face does not change in 28 years between age 21 to 49 but does between 49 and 51?

A reasonable policy would have been to require photo update every 10 years.

Also, why a photo update require such elaborate process that can be handled only in Delhi? (YOU CANT TRAVEL WHILE THIS IS UNDERWAY). Any consulate should be able to handle it.

By the way, a photo is taken at every entry and exit and stored in computers associated with OCI number. Does a photo on a card provide more info?

Luckily the old adage that GOI's left hand and right hand are unfamiliar with each other and usually end up contradicting each other actually works in our favor.

In last 20+ visits, I have yet to encounter a single immigration officer who know about this rule (even when questioned and pocked)

Of course it is better to be safe than sorry but what is safe and what is sorry is up to individual circumstances. Not being able to travel to attend parent's funeral because OCI card is sitting in Delhi for weeks working on "updating photo" falls into "sorry" part.

Have yet to hear a single DP on FT or immihelp or any other india related website where 50+ year old was denied entry because he did not comply with this rule (of course there can always be DP #1 )
Old Jul 8, 2017, 2:10 pm

Ok, some good news (or lucky breaks)

Three new data points from three different ravellers on three different dates, arriving at three different Indian airports (DEL, BLR, BOM).

All of then OCI holders who got OCI before age 50, turned 50, got new US passport. Have not renewed OCI (none of them knew the rule as they believed on lifelong stamp to be lifelong).

None was asked any question. They presented all three documents as usual (current passport, old passport that had OCI stamp and OCI card).

Again, "dont ask - dont tell - dont educate immigration officer" seem to be good policy (of course there could always be DP #1 at some point)
Old Jul 21, 2017, 2:59 pm

Filling out the paperwork to renew my under 21 child's OCI. There's a few things that I am not entirely clear about (neither is the CKGS website, so I thought I'd come here for help)--

Step A For Upload on Government site: There is no link on the page to the Government site, so just wanted to confirm if this was the right webpage to go to for the uploads.

Further,

Step B For Physical Submission to CKGS Application Center

This has a Checklist which I needed some help with.

2. Affidavit in Lieu of Originals Duly Fill-in and Notarize the Affidavit and submit along with the application. : Is there a format for this affidavit, and what originals is this affidavit in lieu of?

Any tips to make this process easier would be very helpful.

Many many thanks!
Old Jul 21, 2017, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by desi

Three new data points from three different ravellers on three different dates, arriving at three different Indian airports (DEL, BLR, BOM).

All of then OCI holders who got OCI before age 50, turned 50, got new US passport. Have not renewed OCI (none of them knew the rule as they believed on lifelong stamp to be lifelong).

None was asked any question. They presented all three documents as usual (current passport, old passport that had OCI stamp and OCI card).

Again, "dont ask - dont tell - dont educate immigration officer" seem to be good policy (of course there could always be DP #1 at some point)
Yeah, I have the same experience, with my daughter, not me (I'm not fifty, yet ). She's under 21, never been stopped in the last ten years, on her third passport now. But you never know!
Old Aug 11, 2017, 3:07 am

Yeah, I have the same experience, with my daughter, not me (I'm not fifty, yet ). She's under 21, never been stopped in the last ten years, on her third passport now. But you never know!
A combination of sudden change in plans, procrastination and some wild desire to live on the edge had me not updating my daughter's OCI before our travel to India earlier this month. Happy to report that once again, like always, the immigration officers at DEL let it slide with nary a mention of the rules.

Meanwhile, I was flying to BOM on Egypt Air and the counter lady at JFK was quite amused to see the "Lifetime" validity on the OCI card. As were the gents at the boarding gate at CAI. Arrival in BOM was hassle free with a renewed passport that wasn't updated in the OCI records. The immigration officer informed me that I needn't carry my old passport that has the OLCI stamp on it, just the booklet would do.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 10:01 pm

Meanwhile, I was flying to BOM on Egypt Air and the counter lady at JFK was quite amused to see the "Lifetime" validity on the OCI card. As were the gents at the boarding gate at CAI. .
Yes, that "Lifetime" words always bring a question with smirk from immigration officers of unrelated third countries. (especially in Eastern Europe and latin America) If only they knew it was a typical Indian lie - this time from GOI itself. (well, it is Lifetime if you get it after age 50)
Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:11 pm

Hello,

I am '33' my son is '5' .we both have OCI cards, both travelling to India next month and both need to renew our passports (in 2 weeks we'll get new,temporary passports valid 1 year).I understand that I don't need to renew my OCI card nor notify about my passport change as long as I present my old passport at the immigration desk. But what about my son? I cannot submit changes to the 'miscellaneous services' section now because i won't have the new passport details before new passports are issued (which is two weeks time).
I was wondering how this process of updating passport details on OCI card looks like: is it only updating online database (and sending one hard copy to the mission office) and it's done instantly without issuing new booklet or they do issue new booklet? How long does the process take?I will have only ten days from issuing new passports to the flight to India departure date.

Just to mention the OCI card was issued 1,5 year ago so my son's appearance hasn't changed significantly so there wouldn't be need for updating his photo I suppose.

Thank You for your advice.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Agnieszka
Hello,

I am '33' my son is '5' .we both have OCI cards, both travelling to India next month and both need to renew our passports (in 2 weeks we'll get new,temporary passports valid 1 year).I understand that I don't need to renew my OCI card nor notify about my passport change as long as I present my old passport at the immigration desk. But what about my son? I cannot submit changes to the 'miscellaneous services' section now because i won't have the new passport details before new passports are issued (which is two weeks time).
I was wondering how this process of updating passport details on OCI card looks like: is it only updating online database (and sending one hard copy to the mission office) and it's done instantly without issuing new booklet or they do issue new booklet? How long does the process take?I will have only ten days from issuing new passports to the flight to India departure date.

Just to mention the OCI card was issued 1,5 year ago so my son's appearance hasn't changed significantly so there wouldn't be need for updating his photo I suppose.

Thank You for your advice.
You do not need to do any updates whatsoever with the OCI when you renew the passport. Just carry your old passport, if you can. US postal service lost my passport (which contained the U-visa that corresponds to the OCI card) - I had sent it in for renewal. I went ahead and got myself a brand new replacement US passport, which did not have the U-visa anymore.... did a lot of research and found out that you only need the OCI card, and nothing else anymore.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 6:45 pm

Yes, that "Lifetime" words always bring a question with smirk from immigration officers of unrelated third countries. (especially in Eastern Europe and latin America) If only they knew it was a typical Indian lie - this time from GOI itself. (well, it is Lifetime if you get it after age 50)
Not exactly lifetime, expires on your 99th birthday. Check the numbers at the bottom of the page
Old May 10, 2018, 5:09 pm

My experience with OCI.
I renewed my US Passport before I turned 50 and was aware of the rule to get OCI renewed after one turns 50 so got in touch with the NY Consulate and would you believe it THEY ACTUALLY REPLIED TO MY EMAIL !!!!. They told me that the OCI needs to be renewed once after you turn 50 and get a new Passport AFTER you turn 50 so I do not have to do it at this time. Last year when I wen to India did not have any problems, I am going back again this year.
Old May 23, 2018, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by hartfordsam
My experience with OCI.
I renewed my US Passport before I turned 50 and was aware of the rule to get OCI renewed after one turns 50 so got in touch with the NY Consulate and would you believe it THEY ACTUALLY REPLIED TO MY EMAIL !!!!. They told me that the OCI needs to be renewed once after you turn 50 and get a new Passport AFTER you turn 50 so I do not have to do it at this time. Last year when I wen to India did not have any problems, I am going back again this year.
The arbitrary stupidity to having to get new OCI after age 50 has been explained away as "national security".

And this national security waits for expiry of your foreign visa???

Yes, only in India.
If we can find a way to harass you, we will.

PS: A lot of people are not aware of this rule - assume lifetime is lifetime and visit India without getting new OCI.
Havent heard of any case where they were sent back!!

Just dont rock the boat.
Dont ask any "clarifying: questions to be "on safe side".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.