Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

Appropriate dress

Appropriate dress

Old Jul 15, 19, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta-Million miler
Appropriate dress

My wife (caucasian about 60) and step daughter(about 30) are accompanying men a trip to India (Rajasthan, Rishikesh). I am of Indian origin but left Chennai over 45 years back. They are concerned about what kind of clothing would be appropriate to wear. The trip includes both an official business function as well as sightseeing/yoga trip. Any suggestions or pictures?
Old Jul 15, 19, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe check on the India forum. I'm assuming that there is one.
Old Jul 15, 19, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat (2.90MM), DL GM and Flying Colonel (1.04MM); Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by corky View Post
Maybe check on the India forum. I'm assuming that there is one.
Exactly what I was going to suggest. It's right here.

Or, ask a moderator to move this thread to there.

Or both.
Old Jul 15, 19, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT PLT, AA LT PLT, HH GLD, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
In my limited experience, the conservative side of standard Western dress is fine. They'll probably be stared at anyway - don't assume it's because of the clothes, they're just something out of the ordinary.
Old Jul 15, 19, 5:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Wouldn't foreigners be expected to wear standard conservative business attire for the business functions? I would think a nice pantsuit or suit with a skirt of a somewhat conservative but not unusual length would be appropriate for this part of the trip.

For the other activities, cool and comfortable clothing that's conservative should also work, such as long loose cotton pants with cool tops that don't show much skin and maybe a light shawl/scarf/pashmina if some place wants arms to be covered.
Old Jul 15, 19, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT PLT, AA LT PLT, HH GLD, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Gynob001 View Post
Any suggestions or pictures?
I wasn't really focused on people, but here's an idea of typical dress at a tourist site. The obviously-Western women in the top right, seemingly with a tour guide, are representative of what I recall. You can also see a mix of what others wear.

Also - typical "heading to office work" dress, I suspect

Last edited by CPRich; Jul 15, 19 at 6:01 pm
Old Jul 16, 19, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPRich View Post
They'll probably be stared at anyway - don't assume it's because of the clothes, they're just something out of the ordinary.
Agreed.

I went over for a few weeks last year with a female co-worker and we'd randomly get stopped for a hand shake or even a picture in a lot of places. We just stood out like a sore thumb.

While there I got invited into many an arm wrestling match and a impromptu push-up contest (I'm big/athletic guy)
*I didn't lose any arm wrestling but only got 86 pushups so was bested there. If only I'd have known, I'd have spent a week or two getting that number up to 100

Last edited by annerj; Jul 16, 19 at 7:28 am
Old Jul 16, 19, 9:54 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*
This thread prompted me to look through some pictures of my trip to India. At the Taj Mahal I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt. I recall that at a few temples they required more than shorts, but they had a wrap for your legs. I might have worn jeans one day, but definitely regretted it.
The temperatures when I was there (mid-September) were very warm and very humid (and very crowded practically everywhere). Well Jaipur wasn't as humid, but it was even warmer than New Delhi or Agra (similar climate as Phoenix I'd say).
For touring, I'd recommending dressing for comfort.
Old Jul 16, 19, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Even though it's hot nobody wears shorts. They think it looks like you're walking around in your underwear. I figured, I don't care because it's 90+ degrees out, so I wanted to be comfortable.
Old Jul 16, 19, 7:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by gfunkdave View Post
Even though it's hot nobody wears shorts. They think it looks like you're walking around in your underwear. I figured, I don't care because it's 90+ degrees out, so I wanted to be comfortable.
I mostly skip wearing shorts in India. Loose, light trousers — even local stuff — is far more suitable than shorts for me because of the pollution and dirt/dust, the potential strength of the sun (if smog isn’t that bad on a day), and the looks gotten for wearing “underwear” (which is even the same word as for “shorts” in a few of the Indian languages).
Old Jul 16, 19, 11:20 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Indian kids under 12 wear shorts. If jeans are too hot for you buy some thinner cloth trousers.
Old Jul 16, 19, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
I mostly skip wearing shorts in India. Loose, light trousers — even local stuff — is far more suitable than shorts for me because of the pollution and dirt/dust, the potential strength of the sun (if smog isn’t that bad on a day), and the looks gotten for wearing “underwear” (which is even the same word as for “shorts” in a few of the Indian languages).
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
Indian kids under 12 wear shorts. If jeans are too hot for you buy some thinner cloth trousers.
as a big kid in his 40's, i often wear shorts on weekends in the summer....

i wouldn't wear them while going to tourist sites but i find them perfectly acceptable while going to the play ground with my kids, or the mall or local marketplace....
Old Jul 17, 19, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Gynob001 View Post
My wife (caucasian about 60) and step daughter(about 30) are accompanying men a trip to India (Rajasthan, Rishikesh). I am of Indian origin but left Chennai over 45 years back. They are concerned about what kind of clothing would be appropriate to wear. The trip includes both an official business function as well as sightseeing/yoga trip. Any suggestions or pictures?
pretty much any type of clothing would be appropriate....i have friends, family, colleagues & clients visiting india all the time....some are here for business, some visiting family & some for sightseeing....most of the women like to buy indian clothes (mostly shalwar kameez) while they are here since its something new/different & wear them during their trip....others wear jeans, pants, shorts, t-shirts, skirts, dresses, etc....normal stuff....

at religious sites i would suggest they cover up as much as possible but the rest of the time they can wear what they want....the more skin you show, the more you are likely to get stared at so avoid mini skirts & tank tops....pretty much anything else is appropriate....
Old Jul 17, 19, 1:22 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
as a big kid in his 40's, i often wear shorts on weekends in the summer....

i wouldn't wear them while going to tourist sites but i find them perfectly acceptable while going to the play ground with my kids, or the mall or local marketplace....
I also wear shorts in my leisure especially when its 30-40+°C. But would not advise any business or tourist traveller from abroad to do the same. The obsession in the western world to wear shorts where a quarter of you butt cheek is visible most of the time is thankfully not shared by the south asians.
Old Jul 17, 19, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
I also wear shorts in my leisure especially when its 30-40+°C. But would not advise any business or tourist traveller from abroad to do the same. The obsession in the western world to wear shorts where a quarter of you butt cheek is visible most of the time is thankfully not shared by the south asians.
ah yes, the infamous butt cheek shorts....i wouldn't advise anyone to wear those here as well but regular shorts would do quite nicely....

Search this Thread