Customs info

Old Feb 22, 19, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Customs info

folks - i am bringing a video conferencing unit into the country and an an NRI. Although the price of this unit is $4000, I got it as a used item online for $450 and have a receipt from the online website. What's the maximum amount one is allowed to bring into the country for someone of indian origin? And I hope if they want me to pay duties, then it's based on what I paid and not their valuation of it

Thanks
Old Feb 23, 19, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
it doesn't matter how much you paid for it....they have their own method of determining the value, whether it is old or new....
Dhamal likes this.
Old Feb 23, 19, 9:49 am
Original Poster

anybody?
Old Feb 24, 19, 6:25 pm

Programs: 9W Platinum, UA Gold, AA Silver
It's INR 50,000 for Indian Nationals. Tourists are not entitled for 15,000 only. Not sure which category you will fall into - although I will guess it should be the later.
Old Feb 25, 19, 2:10 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Customs anywhere in the world has their own rules in assesing the residual value of equipment you are trying to import. If its clearly second hand and you can show the age somewhere on the product (look for a manufacturing date on the stickers with the serial numbers) then they will use the residual value for estimating the applicable duty. If the invoice you show is only ~10% of list price and the goods are rather new you have very low odds in convincing the officer.

That said unless it is very bulky and flashy you unlikely to pass customs unhindered and no body will lift a finger not intercept you....

Search this Thread