Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UK Transit Visa Needed?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2018, 12:21 am
Original Poster

Exclamation UK Transit Visa Needed?

Hey Guys - would really appreciate some clarity here.

I am planning to travel from Mumbai to New York JFK via London Heathrow on Virgin Atlantic - Code Share with Jet Airways. The 2nd leg of the flight (LHR-JFK) is from a different terminal.

So basically I would be changing from Terminal 4 to Terminal 3, so would I need a transit visa? I have a valid B1/B2 US visa. Jet Airways wouldn't tell me if I need one and I can't seem to get through to the Virgin Atlantic customer care here in Mumbai.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 12:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IMO there really are at least two questions here:

Whether the British authorities will require a transit visa

--AND--

Whether the airline(s) with which you check in in Mumbai will permit you to check in and board without a transit visa for the UK. It might matter whether VS, Jet Airways, or some airport contract staff are handling the flight departing from India. If you have a RT ticket, there's the same question regarding checking in and boarding the VS (?) flight from JFK to LHR, assuming the same routing in reverse.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 12:40 am

I'm not aware of whether an airside transit is possible between T4 and T3 at LHR, but If you look at the UK Border control site, I think you're covered since you have a valid US visa.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 1:14 am

You're fine. No DATV required. There is an airside transit bus as well.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
no need for a uk transit visa as long as you have a valid us visa....the transit between terminals will be by bus....just follow the signs at the airport....
Old Aug 2, 2018, 3:57 am

Programs: UA Gold, UK Silver, AA Silver
As others have mentioned, it is not needed. I have used this combination few times and can confirm that.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 4:12 am
Original Poster

This is awesome. Thank you so much everyone
B747-437B likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 9:54 am

The rule is, you need a transit visa (even though you are staying airside, and even though no one will check when you are at LHR) UNLESS you have a valid, current US visa. For example, on your return, if your US visa has expired you will need a UK transit visa.

No one will check at LHR, but the airlines are required to enforce the rules at boarding.

In an important matter like this, you should not trust random FT members, and you should not ask some random phone agent at Jet Airways. You should get your information directly from the relevant authorities. It is very easy to find the relevant web page: https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa
Old Aug 2, 2018, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
UNLESS you have a valid, current US visa.
Originally Posted by mitkoradia
I have a valid B1/B2 US visa.
Q.E.D.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by B747-437B
Q.E.D.
What's your point?
For example, on your return, if your US visa has expired you will need a UK transit visa.
Note that visa validity is not the same as I-94 validity (duration of permission to stay in the US). See, e.g. https://www.immihelp.com/visitor-vis...-visa-faq.html
Old Aug 2, 2018, 2:01 pm

Note that visa validity is not the same as I-94 validity
It is also not the same as passport validity. Or library card validity for that matter.

His B1/B2 visa is valid and he is in direct transit from India TO the USA. Ergo, he does not need a transit visa for the UK. Everything else just confuses the issue.
mitkoradia and oliver2002 like this.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 10:19 am

I travel this route nearly every month and have a Indian passport.
like others have said I concur, no visa is required to transit in UK.
Safe travels.
B747-437B likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 5:10 am

Programs: JetPrivilege
My parents are did the exact routing yesterday without any hassles.... go ahead without any worries.
mitkoradia likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 7:46 am

Regarding points raised by SeeBuyFly:

1) As most people might already know, legality of ability to stay in US is governed by date stamped by immigration officer, US visa is useless once legal entry into US is completed. Now assuming situation where OP is returning from JFK to BOM via LHR before expiry of I-94 but after original visa has expired, does OP really need UK transit visa? (Doesnt make practical sense. What happens if UK denies transit visa. Wait until US forcefully deports you?)

2) IMHO, practical data-points from "random" people (neither Keyser nor B747 can be called random though )) are LOT MORE useful and reliable than official web-sites from real world situation point of view. In fact, thats why most of us post queries here. (Trying to reach airline call centers and then trust their answer may not be advisable in such complicated issues)
mitkoradia likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 11:40 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
What about if one is headed to Canada from India, via LHR. Am presuming the same air side transit rules apply and one doesn't need a transit visa, since the traveller is holding a valid Canadian visa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.