Questions re smog, fog and weather in Delhi & Agra in Winter

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Questions re smog, fog and weather in Delhi & Agra in Winter

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2017, 10:08 pm

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*
There are several apps that will give you updated pollution levels. I was there two weeks ago and kept being told about the terrible "fog" in Agra and how there can be no pollution in Agra because the factories all closed long ago... A simple google search will tell you otherwise. The apps reported very high pollution levels with a 2.5 count above 300. Nobody will fuss at you if you wear a mask.

February will be better, but in December the high speed train took four hours to reach Agra due to fog (yes, there is also fog - it's just that it isn't all fog).
Old Jan 8, 2017, 9:39 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The smog/fog/haze adds to the aura of the monument though. The marble changes color depending on the light that shines on it
Old Jan 15, 2017, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
The smog/fog/haze adds to the aura of the monument though. The marble changes color depending on the light that shines on it
But the amazement disappears when you are blowing out black snot.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 9:00 am

Programs: Skymiles Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by s0ssos
This.

Crossing the border to Nepal after spending ten days in India was a breath of fresh air -- literally. My cold and cough symptoms, which had been pervasive in the smog of Delhi, Agra, Jaipur and Varanasi, cleared up like magic. Mind you, I was there in November, which is probably worse than February. But still.

It's a good reminder to all of us: This is what's in our collective futures, if we don't clean up our act. Cities like Delhi, Beijing, etc. show us what we have to look forward to if we don't get serious about reducing emissions.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 12:07 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by s0ssos
​​​​​​​welcome to India. The nose stones there are black and plentiful.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 3:51 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by segacs
This.

Crossing the border to Nepal after spending ten days in India was a breath of fresh air -- literally. My cold and cough symptoms, which had been pervasive in the smog of Delhi, Agra, Jaipur and Varanasi, cleared up like magic. Mind you, I was there in November, which is probably worse than February. But still.

It's a good reminder to all of us: This is what's in our collective futures, if we don't clean up our act. Cities like Delhi, Beijing, etc. show us what we have to look forward to if we don't get serious about reducing emissions.
Back before Court intervention and the big move to CNG for a variety of vehicles, the air in Delhi was so bad that I would get such a bad cough that it wouldn't go away until I got on a plane and landed in South India or somewhere out of the country. The air had improved for a while but it's gotten worse again as population and the number of cars in traffic got way worse.

If you value your health, it's worth a premium to live in a place with less pollution. Even within India, where you go makes a big difference. Eco-disaster-source refugees and internally displaced persons will make conflict zone-source refugees and internally displaced persons seem like a manageable drop in the bucket in comparison.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 12:15 am

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I did the Golden Triangle 10-14 Feb 2017 and found the weather absolutely splendid. It was in the high 70s or low 80s during the day, and in the 50s at night. The air wasn't exactly clean and fresh but I didn't really notice any particular dirty quality to it either.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
FWIW, we didn't make it to Agra, but found the air quality in New Delhi to be fine for our few days there in mid-February and the weather lovely (something like low-to-mid-70s during day). Thanks again for the advice, folks.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 9:14 pm

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
thanks-we were planning to spend some days in agra jaipur from Jan 1st to Jan 4th..Is this something best avoided?How bad is it??
Old Sep 1, 2022, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by bryanwallace
thanks-we were planning to spend some days in agra jaipur from Jan 1st to Jan 4th..Is this something best avoided?How bad is it??
Its not as bad as people make it out to be. It will be foggy early in the morning & late at night. Travel will be impacted so make sure you have enough time between flights & trains.

December & January are considered peak travel/tourism season in India so I would not avoid it just because of the fog/smog.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 10:51 am

While fog is not a major issue, smog can be - November to January is often the peak for air pollution related issues in the north and air quality in the NCR and surroundings (Agra more than Jaipur) is generally poor. If you have breathing/respiratory issues (such as asthma or chronic bronchitis) I would not recommend it.

Check AQI readings here: https://app.cpcbccr.com/AQI_India/ or here: https://aqicn.org/map/india/
Old Sep 7, 2022, 9:13 pm

wondering if any point going to jaipur /agra if we cannot see aynthing? would be there Jan 1-jan 4)
Old Sep 8, 2022, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
wondering if any point going to jaipur /agra if we cannot see aynthing? would be there Jan 1-jan 4)
You will encounter fog early in the morning but besides that your sightseeing experience won't be affected.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 11:16 pm

thanks-what time would you refer to as early?
Old Sep 19, 2022, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thanks-what time would you refer to as early?
It all depends on the severity of the fog. Over the last few years I have seen it clear by 8-9am. But there have been years where it has remained till noon as well.

If this year is anything like the last few years then I would expect it to be completely clear by 10am.
GUWonder likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.