Search

Golden Triangle Driver/Tour operator

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2016, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United GS, SPG plat
Golden Triangle Driver/Tour operator

Hi all,

2 families, 4 adults 4 kids, first time to India next March. I was quite dismayed by the numerous tour operators on TripAdvisor with perfect feedback. How is that even possible?? Can't please everyone.... I am looking for a reputable operator for our trip. We will self book all hotels with points and cash. We need a driver/guide for our trip. Anyone have any recommendations?

Also, is it best to drive between Delhi, Agra, Ranthambore, Jaipur and return to Delhi?? My gut says that I should take express train between delhi and agra, and fly between Jaipur and Delhi. Our time in country in 7 nights. We would like to minimize transit times. Driving the whole trip seem very tiring and tough on the kids.

Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 3:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by sfdweller
Hi all,

2 families, 4 adults 4 kids, first time to India next March. I was quite dismayed by the numerous tour operators on TripAdvisor with perfect feedback. How is that even possible?? Can't please everyone.... I am looking for a reputable operator for our trip. We will self book all hotels with points and cash. We need a driver/guide for our trip. Anyone have any recommendations?

Also, is it best to drive between Delhi, Agra, Ranthambore, Jaipur and return to Delhi?? My gut says that I should take express train between delhi and agra, and fly between Jaipur and Delhi. Our time in country in 7 nights. We would like to minimize transit times. Driving the whole trip seem very tiring and tough on the kids.

Thanks in advance.
i can recommend the ta my firm uses....they are a bit on the expensive side but i have referred a number of people to them & they have all been extremely happy with the service....let me know if you are interested & i'll pm you the details....

i would suggest driving between delhi-agra & delhi-jaipur as well....agra will take you less than 3 hours to get to & jaipur will take about 5....
Old Nov 13, 2016, 12:01 am

Programs: BA Gold
I have sent you a PM
Old Feb 17, 2017, 12:10 am

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I used Sami World Travels on a recent trip around the Golden Triangle. Drove each of the three legs (Delhi-Agra-Jaipur-Delhi). The longest stretch was Jaipur to Delhi, which took about 4h15m. If you can get a van I think that would be better than flying between any of those places. The extra hassle of arriving early etc. outweighs concerns about the length of the drive. The one issue could be finding clean toilets along the route. Wasn't an issue for me but I imagine it could be for others.

I wrote a review on TripAdvisor. From what I saw of the other reviews there for Sami, they seem plausible.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: UA MMGold, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Delhi to Agra by train

We are planning to see Taj in a few weeks. Since we have only 4 days in Delhi, we only plan for a same day trip to Agra and consider going by train.

Any recommendation for a travel arrangement to pick up at Agra train station and tour around for the day trip?
Old Apr 7, 2017, 4:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: United GS, SPG plat
We just finished an amazing tour of India's golden triangle with Ranthambore with a large group of 13. The trip exceeded our expectations of India and didn't not come with any of the pitfalls that we were worried about especially with traveling with children. A couple of items that come to the top of my mind:

We stayed at 5 star hotels throughout. Ate breakfast buffets in hotels and dinner out in town recommended by tour guide. There were plenty of restaurants that cater to tourists and their western stomachs. We did not eat any street food and only drank bottled water. The water in these hotels are safe for bathing and brushing of teeth.

Watched how the locals drink bottled water. They "waterfall" the water...drink without touching their lips to the bottle. Highly recommend this method. Had the kids dump their bottled water into their own brought bottles or waterfall the water into their mouths.

We drove the whole circuit in a chartered bus. The leg between Delhi and Jaipur is very long and the road conditions are rough. This leg took us almost 7 hours without any suitable places along the way to stop. This leg needs to be done by flight. The other legs are fine by car or bus because the road is excellent and traffic is light once you leave Delhi proper.

I would spend 1 night in Agra to be able to see the Taj at sunrise. This is not possible with a day trip from Delhi. Book yourself a room at the ITC Mughal in Agra so you can do this. We woke at 5:30am and there was already a line formed by 7am for 8am opening. Make sure you wear insect repellent for the wait. We were trapped in a very crowded line with swarms of mosquitoes biting at our ankles. Not fun. Once you got inside the Taj, it was fine. The Taj is AMAZING.

With the temperature hoving over 100 degrees everyday, we were relieved and happy to have an A/C bus waiting for us to take us to the next destination. India can be done independently but I would not recommend it. PM me if you have any questions while things are fresh in my mind.

Namaste!

Last edited by sfdweller; Apr 7, 2017 at 5:21 am
Old May 24, 2017, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
After having a bad experience with them in Ecuador, I gave Gate1 a chance. The tour was great. Good guide, no problems. Not super luxury, but price was very very competitive. Did the Golden triangle plus Nepal tour.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 12:46 pm

Currently looking for a tour operator or driver to do the Golden Tour myself later in the year. Got a few quotes but would prefer a recommended operator by someone here or that I know. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bruno-s
Currently looking for a tour operator or driver to do the Golden Tour myself later in the year. Got a few quotes but would prefer a recommended operator by someone here or that I know. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I used the gentleman whose website is DriveIndia.nl - Drive India - the site is in Dutch, because a customer set it up for Sushil, the owner / one of the drivers, but he speaks perfect English.

He was our driver for a 2 week trip around the Golden Triangle, his van was clean, comfortable, with good AC, he was polite, intelligent, and told us lots about the region (but could read the mood and was quiet when we wanted him to be because we were tired etc.) He was a good driver too - which matters! He knows guides at lots of the popular sites (guides have to be licensed to work at specific sites I believe) so was able to take care of all the little details like that and made some excellent recommendations for meals. He also saved me being preyed upon by a snake charmer - I had mentioned I hate snakes, and he saw a guy approaching me with a snake in a bag in Jaipur, and he literally ran between me and snake guy telling me to get back in the van and screaming at the man to take his snake away (although ruder, one suspects) Apparently they put the snake on unsuspecting tourists until they are paid to take it off them - eeeuuugggghhh!
Old Aug 13, 2018, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by emma69
I used the gentleman whose website is DriveIndia.nl - Drive India - the site is in Dutch, because a customer set it up for Sushil, the owner / one of the drivers, but he speaks perfect English.

He was our driver for a 2 week trip around the Golden Triangle, his van was clean, comfortable, with good AC, he was polite, intelligent, and told us lots about the region (but could read the mood and was quiet when we wanted him to be because we were tired etc.) He was a good driver too - which matters! He knows guides at lots of the popular sites (guides have to be licensed to work at specific sites I believe) so was able to take care of all the little details like that and made some excellent recommendations for meals. He also saved me being preyed upon by a snake charmer - I had mentioned I hate snakes, and he saw a guy approaching me with a snake in a bag in Jaipur, and he literally ran between me and snake guy telling me to get back in the van and screaming at the man to take his snake away (although ruder, one suspects) Apparently they put the snake on unsuspecting tourists until they are paid to take it off them - eeeuuugggghhh!
Thanks emma69 I will check the website and will pay attention to avoid any snakes. My body shivers just thinking of it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.