Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

CONSOLIDATED: 500 and 1000 rupee notes no longer legal tender!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CONSOLIDATED: 500 and 1000 rupee notes no longer legal tender!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2017, 3:21 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Here in London I am still seeing the old notes change hands for 40-60% of their value too.

I have no idea how the people accepting them are getting them exchanged, but I suppose they can't reveal their secrets.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 1:34 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Yesterday the BoI in BOM was making all Indians sign a declaration on the back of the immigration forms that they were not taking any SBN out of the country and that they knew that the possession of SBN was illegal since January 1, 2017.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 6:31 pm

Programs: OMNI Platinum
Anyone know if the new notes can converted here? Friend who went to India is left with ₹1500.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 10:58 pm

<delete>

Last edited by desi; Jan 29, 2017 at 11:06 pm
Old Jan 29, 2017, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by ewrfox
Anyone know if the new notes can converted here? Friend who went to India is left with ₹1500.
Thats just 22 USD. Given your location of EWR, should be easy to find some friend/collegue/neighbour to exchange for 20 USD. (offer 15, if disposal is critical)
Old Jan 29, 2017, 11:50 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
New 500 & 2000 notes are legal tender and can be converted at any Fx outfit.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
They are indeed legal tender in India. But many forex places and small/medium size banks are shying away from ANY transactions involving INR (they are even refusing to issue a rupee draft which has nothing to do with SBN since Nov 9). An overreaction on their part of course but an indication of harm to India's repute in forex marketplace due to this fiasco.

Also, the cost of converting small amount like this could be huge on percentage basis. Given that OP is based near EWR, finding an obliging friend/collegue/neighbour would be most economical/convenient especially if OP offers generous conversion rate.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: OMNI Platinum
Originally Posted by oliver2002
They wouldn't touch it.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 4:40 am

This is posted outside Mumbai RBI. A friend sent it to me. Thank God I didn't ask my wife to go there. So, even if you got the declaration signed at the airport, if you are PIO or OCI, you are SOL and I would not waste any time going to one of the RBIs.
Attached Images  
Old Feb 2, 2017, 9:52 am

The above is exactly what RBI has said officially (consistently) for last 3+ weeks.

However, nothing in the law prevents OCI from filling up custom declaration form upon arrival at the airport. (We have seen mixed reports of custom officers not cooperating).
It is advisable to do so at the airport as RBI/GOI can change rules while you are in India. (low probability but certainly greater than zero)
Old Feb 13, 2017, 5:57 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Fake 2000 INR notes have been making their way to banks. And the counterfeits are going to be improving in part over time, so eventually some will end up being accepted for deposit by the banks when they shouldn't be.

This demonetization and the introduction of a higher denomination note just further complicates the picture.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 8:24 am

So guess, the rumor of allowing OCI to exchange post Mar 31, was just that - a rumor.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 4:29 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
I don't know if this has been posted on the forum but if you are of Indian origin and have NRI/OCI status and are not an Indian resident DO NOT apply for the Aadhar number .

Only Indian residents are allowed to apply for Aadahar . This is irrespective of whether they are an indian citizen or not. I.e Indian citizen working overseas and an NRI cannot apply while a Foreign passport holder who is resident in India can apply for it. There is however talk of allowing non residents to apply but this has not been confirmed yet.

NRI's should not apply for Aadhar with an Indian address as they are declaring themselves to be resident!!!

I have had a long conversation with my CA and the consensus was that applying and getting aadhar would open a big can of worms for NRI's . The IT dept could then ask why the aadhar holder (who has declared himself as resident for getting the card) is not filing an IT return or paying tax in his overseas income !!!

http://nricafe.com/aadhaar-card-not-...ys-india-govt/

Link to official press release from Income tax department confirming the same

http://www.incometaxindia.gov.in/Lis...-5-04-2017.pdf
Old Apr 27, 2017, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by ukdoctor
I don't know if this has been posted on the forum but if you are of Indian origin and have NRI/OCI status and are not an Indian resident DO NOT apply for the Aadhar number .

Only Indian residents are allowed to apply for Aadahar . This is irrespective of whether they are an indian citizen or not. I.e Indian citizen working overseas and an NRI cannot apply while a Foreign passport holder who is resident in India can apply for it. There is however talk of allowing non residents to apply but this has not been confirmed yet.

NRI's should not apply for Aadhar with an Indian address as they are declaring themselves to be resident!!!

I have had a long conversation with my CA and the consensus was that applying and getting aadhar would open a big can of worms for NRI's . The IT dept could then ask why the aadhar holder (who has declared himself as resident for getting the card) is not filing an IT return or paying tax in his overseas income !!!

http://nricafe.com/aadhaar-card-not-...ys-india-govt/

Link to official press release from Income tax department confirming the same

http://www.incometaxindia.gov.in/Lis...-5-04-2017.pdf

(Yes, Aadhaar is for residents including foreigners and excluding NRI - that information could be useful to someone who is not aware of it- but this post should be moved to Aadhar related thread as this thread is about 500/1000 currency notes and issues related to it)

Last edited by desi; Apr 29, 2017 at 12:54 am
Old Apr 27, 2017, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Just found some old notes inside an envelope with one of my other bank documentation.

It really boggles the mind that exceptions are not being made by the Government with these draconian measures they have taken.

Especially given that most of the corrupt individuals in India have already found ways to bypass this...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.