Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

CONSOLIDATED: 500 and 1000 rupee notes no longer legal tender!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CONSOLIDATED: 500 and 1000 rupee notes no longer legal tender!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2017, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by golmaale
Where / how does one locate such NRIs and roughly how much is the haircut?
When I am in my little town in Gujarat near Anand, my haircuts are Rs. 50. I slip him a 100 any way and tell him to keep the change. If that helps.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by dvpatel
When I am in my little town in Gujarat near Anand, my haircuts are Rs. 50. I slip him a 100 any way and tell him to keep the change. If that helps.
Dont get it.

Believe what GUWonder was alluding to was that NRI in UK who are going to RBI on their India trip for their own money but have spare capacity for 25k allowance might be doing for haircut.

Since anyone already in India/Gujarat/Anand is not allowed to turn in SBN any more, hard to believe anyone doing it for 50Rs. Your earlier post about 60% seem more in ballpark for NRI in UK but for any one already in India, it is murky situation.

Personally, I wud rather wait for slim hope of policy change or just give up on 200-300 GBP than participate in outright illegal stuff. But to each its own...
Old Jan 25, 2017, 3:07 pm

bump...

Originally Posted by desi
Question 2:
How are withdrawal limits impact foreigners taking money out of their foreign accounts?
I guess at ATM transaction level 10k might be imposed. But cant s/he find 5 different ATM (with cash in it) and be abe to get 50,000 out in single day? (different story that fraud detection may freeze the card)
anyone?
Old Jan 25, 2017, 6:59 pm

Smile

Dont get it.

Since anyone already in India/Gujarat/Anand is not allowed to turn in SBN any more, hard to believe anyone doing it for 50Rs. Your earlier post about 60% seem more in ballpark for NRI in UK but for any one already in India, it is murky situation.
think he might be just giving an example (100% tip) rather than literal 50R
Guess no one will give 100% unless they don't care and just good with someone else benefitting or getting rid of what they have
Old Jan 26, 2017, 6:42 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
It seems there are ways to get rid of SBNs with a significant loss though. I'm getting rid of my 17k tomorrow and will report.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 7:19 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by oliver2002
It seems there are ways to get rid of SBNs with a significant loss though. I'm getting rid of my 17k tomorrow and will report.
What percentage of that 17k amount are you looking at losing due to this? I've seen haircuts vary from a fixed fee to a percentage of the transaction or some combination of those two.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 7:24 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Well, I have to destroy them before I leave on Saturday as sometime this year it will become illegal for 'foreigners' to have any SBN.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 4:57 pm

Apologies for keep asking stupid question

Someone with US ATM card can withdraw from Indian ATM (10k at a time) as much as their US bank allow and 24k weekly limit has no bearing on them, correct?
Old Jan 26, 2017, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by Keyser
earlier this week, as per the rbi guidelines, the daily atm cash withdrawal limit has been increased to inr 10k but the weekly withdrawal limit remains inr 24k....

more info on the cash situation is available in the thread below:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india...al-tender.html
How is 24k weekly limit imposed on UK citizen's UK bank account?

Assuming that OP's bank allow daily withdrawal limit of say 1000 GBP (this is current limit for barclays bank premier accounts - roughly 85000 Rs), couldn't OP actualy withdraw about 6 lakhs rupees in a 7 day period doing 8 ATM transactions every day?
Old Jan 27, 2017, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
How is 24k weekly limit imposed on UK citizen's UK bank account?

Assuming that OP's bank allow daily withdrawal limit of say 1000 GBP (this is current limit for barclays bank premier accounts - roughly 85000 Rs), couldn't OP actualy withdraw about 6 lakhs rupees in a 7 day period doing 8 ATM transactions every day?
not sure....i guess someone with a foreign atm or credit card should try this & report back....
Old Jan 27, 2017, 12:06 pm

A German ling in Kolkata I met today said his German debit card yields as much cash as he needs, 10k at a time.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 12:16 pm

The Rs. 50 haircut was a joke. You guys are way too uptight. I got a chuckle out of the term haircut and thought it was a typo by GU (their cut v/s haircut).

In any case, Oliver2002, what %age did you get? Like I said earlier, the one agent my dad can get to do this is keeping 60% and only giving 40%. What was your experience and where in India?
Old Jan 27, 2017, 8:10 pm

The Marwari neighbor in our house graciously accepted all of my 17k as payment for the so called 'society fees' (to run the water pump, hire a guard, pay for the lift etc) of my flat without a cut. When asked what the cut would be in the market in CCU he said its about 60-40% today.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 10:32 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by oliver2002
The Marwari neighbor in our house graciously accepted all of my 17k as payment for the so called 'society fees' (to run the water pump, hire a guard, pay for the lift etc) of my flat without a cut. When asked what the cut would be in the market in CCU he said its about 60-40% today.
How is he going to get the notes exchanged? Or is he going to generously eat the difference between the amount given and the post-haircut exchange amount?
Old Jan 28, 2017, 1:17 am

Being a classic Marwari I doubt he is generous

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.