Wiki Posts
Search

Customs for Indian citizen returning to India

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2015, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Customs for Indian citizen returning to India

Hi Everyone,

I am an Indian citizen, currently pursuing higher studies in the US. It has been more than a year since I arrived at the US and will be travelling next month for the first time in this duration. I was a little concerned about Indian customs rules as this is the first occasion that I am returning to India, after such a long period, and with many personal gadgets. Here is what I will be travelling with:

1. Two (2) Personal Laptop Computers: When I came to the US last year, I had bought my old laptop with me to help me in the time being until I bought a new one. Now, I want to return my old laptop (almost a vintage piece by the way, I got that in 2007!!) to my home. As a result, I will be travelling with both my new (1 year old) and old laptop. Will it cause any trouble for me? Both are personal laptops and I have loads of personal stuff on them.
Worthwhile to mention here, if I get stopped by customs, I would rather let them confiscate my old laptop than paying a hefty sum for customs fee (more than 2000 INR). I would, however, be willing to pay anything less than that.

2. One (1) tablet: I think carrying a tablet is fine, just that I am concerned that I will be travelling with two laptops, a tablet and a few cell phones (read on).

3. Three (3) Cell Phones: Since my time here in the US, I bought a new cell phone, on a contract with a carrier. Now since my cellphone is locked, I would need a separate cell phone for my time in India (the one which I bought with me when I came to the US- it's used and old, I have also preserved my Indian SIM card all this time). Along with that, I also have one back-up cellphone (quite old, even the screen is shattered). Will carrying three cellphones be a problem? (All of them are used, one is almost 4 years old, one 3 years old and the one I am using now is one year old).

4. One (1) personal music player

Need to know if any of these will cause any troubles for me at the customs. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sid
Old Nov 24, 2015, 9:57 pm

Customs will hassle you if they believe you are bringing items in for commercial purposes. If your items are used and clearly for personal use, you are unlikely to have issues even if you may be over the "official" limits.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 1:10 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I doubt they will even bother with your gear. If you have 3 ipads and 2 laptops mint in box condition with you they would fuss about it. But old banged up laptops and phones? No way.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
everytime i travel i have 3 cell phones (work, personal & the one i use for my international global sim), 1 ipad & 1 laptop with me....i have never been stopped by customs....i don't think you will have a problem....
Old Dec 7, 2015, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Meanwhile I have decided to carry my old laptop in my luggage just for the reason that it would be a little weird and uncomfortable for me to carry it with me in my hand luggage. I have packed it quite well, with good padding of paper and clothes so I think it might be ok. However, will a laptop in the checked-in luggage cause any security concerns?
Old Dec 8, 2015, 2:19 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Should be no problem, if you want to be really sure you can separate the battery and keep it beside the laptop in your bag.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Thanks, now I have decided to carry both in person.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.