Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delhi/Agra questions for short visit

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2015, 7:20 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
there are many trains going all day but the luxury one goes at 6 am and arrives in Agra at 8 am and the executive class is 1K rupee with some sort of meal included?
I believe you are referring to this: 12002/New Delhi - Bhopal Shatabdi Express

All Shatabdi Express trains are fully air conditioned, with 2 classes: AC Chair Car and Executive Class.

AC Chair Car has a 2 x 3 seating layout with plenty of legroom. You will get a morning tea and breakfast service (option of vegetarian snacks or an omelette), along with a water bottle.

Executive Class has a 2 x 2 layout with even more legroom. You will get more quantities of food (you can ask for more portions) and a newspaper too.

This particular train is ISO certified and one of the fastest and cleanest in India. I wouldn't have any qualms about any class of travel, even with a family.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by bnj999
Delhi airport where we have an Asiana flight in F(!) out through Incheon at 2:30am.
Since when does Asiana operate a F class out of DEL?
The flight you are referring to (OZ 768, right?) is operated by an A330 with only Business class, that too on recliner seats, not lie-flat.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by deovrat
I believe you are referring to this: 12002/New Delhi - Bhopal Shatabdi Express

All Shatabdi Express trains are fully air conditioned, with 2 classes: AC Chair Car and Executive Class.

AC Chair Car has a 2 x 3 seating layout with plenty of legroom. You will get a morning tea and breakfast service (option of vegetarian snacks or an omelette), along with a water bottle.

Executive Class has a 2 x 2 layout with even more legroom. You will get more quantities of food (you can ask for more portions) and a newspaper too.

This particular train is ISO certified and one of the fastest and cleanest in India. I wouldn't have any qualms about any class of travel, even with a family.
It is worth going to Agra to see Tajmahal for one night?
That train runs only in the earning morning at around 6am right?
$1k rupee per person and less for child? Book in advance for a week or a month or 2 months or book at the station? Can carry luggauge without weight limits?
Old Aug 31, 2015, 10:07 am

It is worth going to Agra to see Tajmahal for one night?
That train runs only in the earning morning at around 6am right?
$1k rupee per person and less for child? Book in advance for a week or a month or 2 months or book at the station? Can carry luggauge without weight limits?
Taj looks spectacular either at dawn or at dusk, so make your plans around either time. I'd say going down from Delhi in the morning, seeing some of Agra in the morning, having lunch, heading to Taj at dusk and returning at night by the same train is very practical. The returning train picks you up at Agra at 9 pm.
Fare for AC Chair car is INR 515 and Executive is INR 1010. Child fares might be available, but if you book through foreign traveller quota, they might not be applicable and you might be charged full amount.
I'd suggest to book as soon as you can firm up plans, and never at the station itself. Bookings open 4 months out.

You can carry 40 kg per person in AC Chair Car by the book, but you will never be asked to weigh it so don't worry. As long as your luggage doesn't stop movement of people inside the coach, nobody will give a damn.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by deovrat
Taj looks spectacular either at dawn or at dusk, so make your plans around either time. I'd say going down from Delhi in the morning, seeing some of Agra in the morning, having lunch, heading to Taj at dusk and returning at night by the same train is very practical. The returning train picks you up at Agra at 9 pm.
Fare for AC Chair car is INR 515 and Executive is INR 1010. Child fares might be available, but if you book through foreign traveller quota, they might not be applicable and you might be charged full amount.
I'd suggest to book as soon as you can firm up plans, and never at the station itself. Bookings open 4 months out.

You can carry 40 kg per person in AC Chair Car by the book, but you will never be asked to weigh it so don't worry. As long as your luggage doesn't stop movement of people inside the coach, nobody will give a damn.
What US Chain hotels is close to Taj? Is it the Raddison Blu? If it is, is it walking distance or can take a rikshaw?

Thanks
Old Sep 1, 2015, 9:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
What US Chain hotels is close to Taj? Is it the Raddison Blu? If it is, is it walking distance or can take a rikshaw?

Thanks
When I stayed at the Radisson Blu a couple of years ago, they had a scheduled (free?) shuttle bus to the Taj Mahal. It is not a walk you'd likely want to make...mostly because of the neighborhood(s) you'd walk through but also the distance.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 6:51 am

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Silver
Car Service from Delhi to Agra?

Any suggestions for this one way trip from Delhi to Agra by car? My father received a quote as follows:

PRICE: As per as mentioned plan for 01 way trip from Agra hotel to Delhi hotel will cost @ INR: 9,000 TOTAL with air condition Toyota Innova car (6 + 1 seater).

Includes: petrol, parking’s, interstate tax and all type of driver charges (salary, food and accommodation).

Wondering if there are better and cheaper options, such as Uber or another car service. Father is staying overnight and will need a return trip as well...
Old Jan 6, 2016, 3:40 am

Programs: 9W, HH, Taj, Air India
As is true for all car and driver hire in India, the fare quoted is for the return too. The rate will also vary based on the type of vehicle chosen. Usually the fare quoted for an Innova is around INR 16 to 18 per km for 400 km all inclusive. A small hatchback would cost around INR 12-13 per km.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: Delta-DM, United, Hilton-DM, SPG-PLTM
Hello,

I'm going for a very quick trip to Delhi, due to a good airline fare, and that I've always wanted to see the Taj Mahal.

The info above is great - thank you all for posting.

We are arriving early Sunday a.m. at DEL - scheduled arrival is 1:40 a.m.

I have already contacted a car service and requested a pick up time of 2:30 a.m. and we are just going to head straight to Agra, hope to see the Taj at sunrise, then go sleep at the hotel.

Our flight leaves at 3:40 a.m. on Tuesday. So we will need to head back to Delhi Monday night.

I currently have the car scheduled to pick us up at 10:00 p.m. Monday night, but now think that may cutting it too close if there is traffic and/or check in times at the airport?

Any thoughts on this?

Or after reading above I was thinking of taking the train, departing at 9 p.m. should get us back to Delhi and the airport by midnight.

Finally, I was planning on staying at the ITC Mughal - a starwood property. It says it is 2.5 miles from the Taj Mahal, so figured we could walk and take in the sites and local experience along our way.

Thank you for your input and recommendations.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by QDDawg
Our flight leaves at 3:40 a.m. on Tuesday. So we will need to head back to Delhi Monday night.

I currently have the car scheduled to pick us up at 10:00 p.m. Monday night, but now think that may cutting it too close if there is traffic and/or check in times at the airport?

Any thoughts on this?
leave a little earlier....it should take you a little over 3 hours normally but leaving around 8pm would be better....its better to wait an extra couple of hours at the airport as opposed to missing you flight....

Or after reading above I was thinking of taking the train, departing at 9 p.m. should get us back to Delhi and the airport by midnight.
i would still opt for the car option & leave around 8pm....

Finally, I was planning on staying at the ITC Mughal - a starwood property. It says it is 2.5 miles from the Taj Mahal, so figured we could walk and take in the sites and local experience along our way.

Thank you for your input and recommendations.
i wouldn't recommend the walk from the hotel....but your car wouldn't be allowed all the way inside in any case....they will stop you about a km from the taj....from there they have an option to either take an electric vehicle or a horse carriage....or you can also walk that last bit....
Old Mar 10, 2017, 12:09 pm

Programs: Delta-DM, United, Hilton-DM, SPG-PLTM
Thank you for the info Keyser

Why do you recommend not walking from the hotel to the Taj - too far or too dangerous?

I will leave at 8 p.m. - you are correct a few hours early beats another 24 waiting for the next plane.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Why do you recommend not walking from the hotel to the Taj - too far or too dangerous?
its just not a pleasant walk....you would be dodging traffic & crossing roads....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.