Wiki Posts
Search

Delhi Tips?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2017, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Delhi Tips?

Hello-

Going to India for the first time a week from Thursday. Not a long trip, flying Qatar through Doha.

We have a 4-night tour of the triangle, so most of that's already planned out. But we do have 3 free days in Delhi proper. What would be the best way to fill them? Ideas/suggestions needed!

Thanks!
Old Mar 6, 2017, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
where will you be staying & what are you looking to do????sightseeing, shopping, relaxing, etc????
Old Mar 7, 2017, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Staying at the Hotel Star Plaza - only there 2 full days after a tour that includes some basic Delhi sites. What are the must sees, where should we eat given the limited time frame, is the metro what we should use to travel, how's uber, etc
Old Mar 7, 2017, 11:40 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
https://www.lonelyplanet.com/india/delhi
Old Mar 8, 2017, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by corbs315
Staying at the Hotel Star Plaza - only there 2 full days after a tour that includes some basic Delhi sites. What are the must sees, where should we eat given the limited time frame, is the metro what we should use to travel, how's uber, etc
your hotel location is quite central but you will still need a car or public transport to access the must see sites....i would suggest akshardham, humayun's tomb, lotus temple, qutub minar, rashtrapati bhavan, india gate....

what type of cuisine are you looking for????indian accent & cafe illuminati have a good mix of indian fusion food....

uber is very convenient & cheap....so is the metro....i use both frequently....
Old Mar 8, 2017, 2:34 am

Make sure to get a SIM card so you can use Uber. Taxis are hit or miss; especially for first timers. Don't get your hopes up too high, Delhi is by far the filthiest, nastiest place I've ever been. You will smell and see urine and feces everywhere and dust will carry them nasties straight to your face.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by babypuwet
Delhi is by far the filthiest, nastiest place I've ever been. You will smell and see urine and feces everywhere and dust will carry them nasties straight to your face.
you must not have been to many places then....

while i'll be the first to admit that delhi is definitely not the cleanest, it is nowhere near what you claim....
Old Mar 8, 2017, 5:51 am
Original Poster

So Uber's good?
I saw the SIM card thing but was just going to do an ATT int'l package like I usually do.
Thanks for the restaurant tips, Indian Accent had come up before!
Old Mar 8, 2017, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So Uber's good?
I saw the SIM card thing but was just going to do an ATT int'l package like I usually do.
Thanks for the restaurant tips, Indian Accent had come up before!
keep in mind that you would need to make a reservation a week or so in advance for indian accent....
Old Mar 9, 2017, 5:53 am

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by babypuwet
Make sure to get a SIM card so you can use Uber. Taxis are hit or miss; especially for first timers. Don't get your hopes up too high, Delhi is by far the filthiest, nastiest place I've ever been. You will smell and see urine and feces everywhere and dust will carry them nasties straight to your face.
I have been to Delhi a half dozen times and found it to be a beautiful city with clean streets, many parks, and gorgeous architecture. I have no clue what you are referring to. Sure there are slums etc., but for tourists who stay in hotels in the Diplomatic area or near Connaught, and visit tourists sites, they will not see much if anything remotely like that. I even went to the slums in Mumbai and found them reasonably safe and relatively clean.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 4:41 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
So Uber's good?
I second Uber as it is generally effective and cheap -- depending on the distance, even cheaper than taxis.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 10:59 am

"I have been to Delhi a half dozen times and found it to be a beautiful city with clean streets, many parks, and gorgeous architecture."

Sounds like you're talking about New Delhi. The earlier poster wrote of Delhi, and I don't think he was far off the mark.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 889
"I have been to Delhi a half dozen times and found it to be a beautiful city with clean streets, many parks, and gorgeous architecture."

Sounds like you're talking about New Delhi. The earlier poster wrote of Delhi, and I don't think he was far off the mark.
i don't think the earlier poster differentiates between delhi & new delhi....
Old Mar 11, 2017, 4:20 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by Keyser
i don't think the earlier poster differentiates between delhi & new delhi....
+1
Old Mar 11, 2017, 4:36 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Old Delhi Walking Tour

I had a spare day in DEL last year & decided to do The Old Delhi Walking & Food Tour:

http://www.masterjikeehaveli.com/

It was incredibly good........much better than looking at Mogul statutes from the 15th Century.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.