Reload this Page >

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 18, 2016, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

PLEASE NOTE that CERTAIN DOMESTIC FLIGHTS OF Air India (#010-399 and 900-999) are ACTUALLY segments of INTERNATIONAL FLIGHT and hence for the following discussion should be considered INTL flights.

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal (T1) and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.
(For those not familiar with Santacruz Airport - CSIA - while both T1 and T2 uses same airfield and runaways, they are quite apart landside and can be 25-45 min by taxi depending on the traffic)

If first time in BOM then it is advisable to book connection with AI or Vistara to avoid this transfer between terminals.

INTL-to-INTL connections (suspended as of Jan 2022 due to COVID):

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain domestic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight (#010-399 and 900-999). When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tariffs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If you are travelling by Air India and your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight (currently applicable to certain AI flights only) then you would have already completed immigration process at your origin and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through immigration at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.

Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India, Jet Airways and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.

INTL-to-INTL connections:

NOTE: Air-India operates some domestic flight segments as extension of an oversees flight (Typically flight numbers <400 - Double check routing on AI website to confirm example: AI 144 EWR_BOM_DEL). They should be treated as INTL flights for immigration/rechek/customs purpose.

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain dometic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight such as EWR-BOM-AMD flight. When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight then you would have already completed emmigration (exit from India) process at your origination and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through emmigration process at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.
Print Wikipost

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2014, 3:57 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by GuyFromBOM
I am unsure, if you would need the visa if you use the transfer desk option. However, EK staff at DXB, would have a fairly good idea about it.
The MHA/BOI requires airlines to transmit data on the pax on board, EK can't fly in with him without providing info on his visa. If he is reported as in transit, then they have to say what flight he is on. If they put in EK501, the system will notice and reject it.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 4:08 am

Programs: AI-FR, 9W-JP
Originally Posted by oliver2002
The MHA/BOI requires airlines to transmit data on the pax on board, EK can't fly in with him without providing info on his visa. If he is reported as in transit, then they have to say what flight he is on. If they put in EK501, the system will notice and reject it.
This procedure more or less rules out using the transfer desk option.

And increases the chances of him not making it in time for the return flight. At that time of the day, its really crowded.

Also, the Passport Control chaps may take their own sweet time for secondary verification once they know he's bound to be back on the same plane..!
Old Oct 10, 2014, 4:57 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Not really. He needs a visa to board the aircraft to BOM, but can use the transfer desk and go to the gate immediately after arrival. No need to actually report for immigration.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 5:51 am

Programs: Lufthansa, Starwood Preferred Guest, Hyatt Gold Passport, Avis
Not really. He needs a visa to board the aircraft to BOM, but can use the transfer desk and go to the gate immediately after arrival. No need to actually report for immigration.
means getting a visa, but not using it :-)

^
Old Oct 10, 2014, 8:11 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by LFCorsten
Anybody experience with this? I would like to fly with

EK 500 from DXB arrives 2:30 am
EK 501 back to DXB leaves 4:30am

It is the same plane as the tickets from BOM are much cheaper. Do I need as a german an indian Visa? and is it possible to connect in this 2 hour window?
As of now, you need a visa. However, visa on arrival should be available "soon", so you'd need to check with Indian embassy depending on when your travel is.

Regardless, BOM is extremely prone to delays and 2 hour connection will be very tight; remember it is only 90 minutes to boarding. I would strongly urge you to spend 1 day at some hotel and return next morning.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 8:13 am

I agree. In this case the real danger is EK denying him boarding. Once he lands in BOM, what are Indian immigration going to do: deport him back to DXB?
Old Oct 10, 2014, 10:55 am

VOA is a pain and takes an hour to complete on arrival.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 4:06 am

Got multiple entry. :-) now I have to decide if the connection is to sporty.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 9:10 pm

Got multiple entry. :-) now I have to decide if the connection is to sporty.
Great. This will smoothen the bureaucratic dimension. You can now try for your turn around, and if you miss, EK will presumably book you on one of the later EK or 9W flights (there are several). Problem with such "protection" is you may or may not get a decent seat. Instead of stressing yourself, why don't you just plan to take a little break in BOM? Can be even ½ a day - arrive in the morning, leave same evening. Go have brunch somewhere!
Old Oct 11, 2014, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by aktchi
Great. This will smoothen the bureaucratic dimension. You can now try for your turn around, and if you miss, EK will presumably book you on one of the later EK or 9W flights (there are several). Or, instead of stressing yourself, why don't you just plan to take a little break in BOM? Can be even ½ a day - arrive in the morning, leave same evening. Go have lunch!
This flight is the earliest I can catch, except a flight on Indigo with 4 hours layover. This way I safe over 40% on the ticket price. DXB-LAX would be also less miles :-)

Last edited by LFCorsten; Oct 11, 2014 at 10:32 pm
Old Oct 11, 2014, 11:32 pm

This flight is the earliest I can catch, except a flight on Indigo with 4 hours layover. This way I safe over 40% on the ticket price. DXB-LAX would be also less miles :-)
What are your dates? On a randomly chosen date (October 22), I see five EK departures from BOM to DXB:

#501 4:30 AM
#505 9:45 AM
#507 3:15 PM
#503 7:00 PM
#509 10:30 PM
#6230 12:25 PM (codeshare on 9W metal)

BTW, is this a MR to earn EK miles? If so, you might get better value in longer flights.

Last edited by aktchi; Oct 11, 2014 at 11:42 pm
Old Oct 11, 2014, 11:37 pm

What are your dates? On a randomly chosen date (Nov 12), I see four EK departures from BOM to DXB:

#501 4:15 AM
#505 10:25 AM
#507 3:20 PM
#509 1010P PM

Is this MR to earn EK miles? If so, you might get better value in longer flights.
Have to get EK501, have to connect to EK215 at 8:15 am to LAX
Old Oct 12, 2014, 1:56 am

Have to get EK501, have to connect to EK215 at 8:15 am to LAX
OK, please make sure that EK501 and EK215 are on the same PNR. Your chances of misconnecting in BOM and thus missing EK215 in DXB are not negligible. Safe travels and good luck!
Old Oct 12, 2014, 2:01 am

OK, please make sure that EK501 and EK215 are on the same PNR. Your chances of misconnecting in BOM and thus missing EK215 in DXB are not negligible. Safe travels and good luck!
yeah EK501 and EK 215 are on the same ticket.Just have to look what I do with my checked in bag :-) maybe I check it in DXB to LAX only. Hope this is possible. Will post about my success here :-)
Old Oct 13, 2014, 10:44 am

Somewhat urgent...

I really want to book these tickets ASAP (prices keep going up):

Bhuj --> Mumbai arrives 8:45AM. Air India, Terminal 1A
Mumbai --> Varanasi departs 11AM. Indigo, Terminal 1B

I'd like to carry on my bags, but I am not sure if it will be allowed. I guess the Air India one is the most important one to carry on, and it's a Canadair Regional 700. My backpack usually fits in the overhead compartment on international flights and larger US domestic flights. I looked at photos but am having trouble determining the real size of the luggage compartment.

Of course my backpack is a bit squishable since it's not a rollaboard, but it will be nearly 1 month into my trip and I'll probably have bought a few things...

I usually use my camera bag as my "personal item". It's not bigger than a laptop, just differently-shaped. Have only ever been disallowed once.

Thoughts? Will I be allowed to carry on? If I can't carry on, is that enough connection time? Can I check in online if I'm also checking in bags? Is it too risky?

I really want this Indigo flight because it's the ONLY direct one. All other flights (including other airlines) fly from Mumbai to Delhi to Varanasi, but there are no direct flights from Bhuj to Delhi to increase my options.

Thanks, I really appreciate the advice!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.