Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Two days in Calcutta-any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2011, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Two days in Calcutta-any suggestions?

I will be spending two full days in Calcutta, a Friday and Saturday, staying at the Oberoi Grand.
Any suggestions for indian (or other) restaurants, as well as interesting sights?
Old Sep 21, 2011, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
its been a while since i stayed at the oberoi in kolkata but there was a very nice thai restaurant at the hotel....can't seem to remember the name but just ask for the thai restaurant at reception & they will point you in the right direction....
Old Sep 21, 2011, 3:35 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
A place that really takes care to produce authentic bengali food is Oh calcutta: http://www.asklaila.com/listing/Kolk...utta/18yioYGy/

Its pricey, probably OK if you think in (converted) US$, but one of the few places that actually serves bengali food. Locals rather eat food from other regions in the various eateries around town. I suppose mother cooking cannot be beat

Otherwise do the usual. My route to show folks from outside my old town is

- park street
- Esplanade (beside the Oberoi Grand)
- New market
- bus ride to Howrah
- Howrah station with a platform ticket
- Go up to the first class waiting room and show the Hoogly panaroma (with the bridge and all) from the terrace there
- ferry ride over the river to Dalhousie
- walk dalhousie (BBD Bag) and show the old buidlings (deserted on weekends)
- if time permits, drive for half a day to the botannical gardens. Ages ago as a high school kids involved with the WWF I got a insider tour and know some stuff to show, generally uniteresting though for someone who doesn't mingle much with nature and also not recommended in the rainy season.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by oliver2002
A place that really takes care to produce authentic bengali food is Oh calcutta
i agree....i've been to the one in delhi....very good food....specially the fish....
Old Sep 22, 2011, 8:40 pm

My recommendations will be Kewpie's Kitchen and Bhojohori Manna. Oh Calcutta is great too, but I just feel those two have a more cozy atmosphere.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:40 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Originally Posted by oliver2002
A place that really takes care to produce authentic bengali food is Oh calcutta: http://www.asklaila.com/listing/Kolk...utta/18yioYGy/

Its pricey, probably OK if you think in (converted) US$, but one of the few places that actually serves bengali food. Locals rather eat food from other regions in the various eateries around town. I suppose mother cooking cannot be beat

Otherwise do the usual. My route to show folks from outside my old town is

- park street
- Esplanade (beside the Oberoi Grand)
- New market
- bus ride to Howrah
- Howrah station with a platform ticket
- Go up to the first class waiting room and show the Hoogly panaroma (with the bridge and all) from the terrace there
- ferry ride over the river to Dalhousie
- walk dalhousie (BBD Bag) and show the old buidlings (deserted on weekends)
- if time permits, drive for half a day to the botannical gardens. Ages ago as a high school kids involved with the WWF I got a insider tour and know some stuff to show, generally uniteresting though for someone who doesn't mingle much with nature and also not recommended in the rainy season.
Say I've only got about 6-7 hours - can I do this tour? I am thinking to just taxi CCU to Howrah station (do I need to purchase FC ticket to go out onto the terrace?), take a ferry across the river, walk Dalhousie-Esplanade, walk along Park St, and then taxi back to CCU. Also, I'll try to fit in a lunch somewhere in there.

Is it also worth it to check out the missionaries of charity/motherhouse?
Old Oct 17, 2011, 11:18 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
No need to buy a ticket to get to the terrace, a friendly foreigner can get by anywhere

CCU to HWH can take a while by taxi if you are trying it outside of 10pm to 6am on weekdays, so beware. Rush hour in those parts of town is brutal.

Dalhousie to Park St is also a hike, you may want to take a cab. Or just skip Park St. and take a cab to the mother house (opposite St James Church or 'jora girza' on lower circular rd)

So yes, it can be done, you build a modular itin, and be ready to abandon parts of it when you run out of time
Old Oct 18, 2011, 11:14 am

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Thanks, oliver! I'll be starting my trip around 9am on Saturday, so hopefully it won't be the worst traffic.

As for the hike... I like walking around without the pressure to really get anywhere - we'll see how far I can go

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.