Wiki Posts
Search

BOM Transfer time

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2010, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
BOM Transfer time

Hi, I have read the BOM Transfer Guide by henkybaby. I understand 2hrs is min. I would need to transfer between flights. I will be flying in on LH756 in Feb that scheduled to arrive at 1:25am. I am trying to see if it's too tight if I purchase a 3:30AM flight from SriLankan Airlines to MLE. I checked and both airlines are located in terminal 2, just not sure if it's A or B. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and happy holidays!
Old Dec 27, 2010, 5:31 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by s2000hku
Hi, I have read the BOM Transfer Guide by henkybaby. I understand 2hrs is min. I would need to transfer between flights. I will be flying in on LH756 in Feb that scheduled to arrive at 1:25am. I am trying to see if it's too tight if I purchase a 3:30AM flight from SriLankan Airlines to MLE. I checked and both airlines are located in terminal 2, just not sure if it's A or B. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and happy holidays!
Intl to Intl should be fine.. just ensure you inform them clearly during checkin and they mark your luggage as priority ..Am not sure whether your baggage cna be checked in till MLE, but ensure to get it priority tagged.. the intl transit desk will be helping you out once u land in bom..
Old Dec 27, 2010, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Thanks! We will sure to check with LH to see if they can check through to MLE. It will be great if they can.

Originally Posted by abhilife2001
Intl to Intl should be fine.. just ensure you inform them clearly during checkin and they mark your luggage as priority ..Am not sure whether your baggage cna be checked in till MLE, but ensure to get it priority tagged.. the intl transit desk will be helping you out once u land in bom..
Old Dec 28, 2010, 2:10 am

Originally Posted by s2000hku
Thanks! We will sure to check with LH to see if they can check through to MLE. It will be great if they can.
+1.. but be sure to also inform about the luggage transfer when u r transitting in BOM... specially since two different airlines are concerned..
Old Dec 30, 2010, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i know a bunch of people who did something similar....they had no problems with the transfer....
Old Jan 12, 2011, 1:37 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Gold, M&M FTL, QR Gold, HH Diamond, PCR Platinum
Arrived in BOM Monday morning 4:15AM on TK720, with a booked fligth to BLR on 9w.

TK arrives in International terminal, and all passengers transferring to other international flight are handled just like on any other major airport, I think 1hr would be enough, if luggage can make it.

For domestic flights I think 1:30 is minimum, 2:00 is just-in-time and 02:30 is more realistic:
- 15-20 minutes to deplane and pass passport control
- 15-20 minutes to collect luggage
- 5-20 minutes wait for bus ransfer to domestic terminal
- 10 minutes bus transfer
- 15-20 minutes domestic flight luggage drop (skip if no luggage)
- 10-20 minutes security control
- 30 minutes boarding
Old Jan 12, 2011, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by CAlex
For domestic flights I think 1:30 is minimum, 2:00 is just-in-time and 02:30 is more realistic:
+1
Old Jan 29, 2011, 2:00 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

If you're planning on transiting this &^%$& airport without a printed itinerary for your next flight, you'd better stay home! I had a bad experience this mornign, don't want other peopel to get the same!

9w fligth BLR-BOM, arriving at 01:10. Online checkin + luggage drop-off in BLR, lugagge pick-up in BOM without any issue.
TK flight BOM-IST, leaving at 05:15 (plenty of time). online checkin, but boarding pass from BOM-IST could not be printed as TK does nto allow it from BOM (no idea why, not really relevant). I forgot to print the itinerary, and on the online checkin page there was no reminder.

At BOM the police woul not let me get on the free bus that connects the domestic and international terminals, and after 15 minutes of explanations, of showing the IST-BOM boarding pass and trying to reason with the guys, I gave up. Being the last shuttle I had to take a taxi, and that's where the fun begins. I prepaid a taxi in the airport for 170Rs to take me to the other terminal.

Once outside, I got picked-up by 2 guys who were suspiciously willing to cary my luggage, the 2 taxi receipts I got from the desk and to get me in a cab. I carried my own luggage and did not give them both tickets, smartest thing.

I get in a cab and next to the driver there is another getting in. After existing the domestic terminal they pul-over and start showing me in the dark a plastified piece of paper saying that the transfer costs 2100 Rs, and that what I paid was just parking tax. Having seen that before, I started to laugh (nervously) and tell them that I don't have cash, and that I will pay them either at destination or at Police. After 10 minutes of discussions and price reduction (price came down to 200 rs) they start driving and stop after just 200m next to another taxi. Without any discussion one of them takes my luggae out of the car and move it into another cab who was waiting roadside. The other guy tried to explain that the new cab will take me to the in. terminal with no other charges required, everybody was smilinig, which only made me feel more nervous. After another coupe of minutes I agreed to move on and try my luck with the new cab based on their word .

Luckily on the way we crossed 2 police blocks, and after waving at the first block to the policemen the driver stopped. Policeman confirmed that I will have no issues, I asked him to take down the car number, and from there all went smooth.

To put an end to this, if you don't hve the time or the ability to stay (relatively) calm in situations like this, do print out everything in advance, you will avoid a lot of stress when transiting BOM and maybe any other Indian airport.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
To put an end to this, if you don't hve the time or the ability to stay (relatively) calm in situations like this, do print out everything in advance, you will avoid a lot of stress when transiting BOM and maybe any other Indian airport.
mumbai is infamous for this....i have had them try to pull this on me a bunch of times....fortunately i know some people in the police in mumbai so i just give them a call & give the taxi number....from there on everything goes smoothly....

i don't think i have ever heard of problems like this at any other indian airport....

as far as the printout is concerned, it clearly states that when you are buying your ticket....you have to have your printout available at every indian airport....can't enter without that....
Old Jan 31, 2011, 9:23 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

I know this is what they advise, but many times I was able to ENTER without one, but indeed not to transit. They have a long list of printed traveller lists and they checked me against it.

Anyhow, since QR opened new flight to OTP/BUD, I hope to transit BOM less often in the future.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 12:10 pm

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
I know this is what they advise, but many times I was able to ENTER without one, but indeed not to transit. They have a long list of printed traveller lists and they checked me against it.

Anyhow, since QR opened new flight to OTP/BUD, I hope to transit BOM less often in the future.
Sorry about your experience. but glad you came out in one piece.

This printout stuff is really so stupid. But, you can see how many people are hanging out at Indian airports...no wonder they want an itinerary with your name and your ID as well..to let you inside.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 2:02 am

Originally Posted by snod08
Sorry about your experience. but glad you came out in one piece.

This printout stuff is really so stupid. But, you can see how many people are hanging out at Indian airports...no wonder they want an itinerary with your name and your ID as well..to let you inside.
For the airports, its clearly mentioned as Saad said that you need to carry a printout with a photo id..Its stupid or not has no relevance here since as many fliers will vouch , there are many things we may find or feel is stupid while travelling..
And u being staying in US, will be aware of many many such stupid rules
Old Feb 3, 2011, 10:00 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
If you're planning on transiting this &^%$& airport without a printed itinerary for your next flight, you'd better stay home! I had a bad experience this mornign, don't want other peopel to get the same!

9w fligth BLR-BOM, arriving at 01:10. Online checkin + luggage drop-off in BLR, lugagge pick-up in BOM without any issue.
TK flight BOM-IST, leaving at 05:15 (plenty of time). online checkin, but boarding pass from BOM-IST could not be printed as TK does nto allow it from BOM (no idea why, not really relevant). I forgot to print the itinerary, and on the online checkin page there was no reminder.

At BOM the police woul not let me get on the free bus that connects the domestic and international terminals, and after 15 minutes of explanations, of showing the IST-BOM boarding pass and trying to reason with the guys, I gave up. Being the last shuttle I had to take a taxi, and that's where the fun begins. I prepaid a taxi in the airport for 170Rs to take me to the other terminal.

Once outside, I got picked-up by 2 guys who were suspiciously willing to cary my luggage, the 2 taxi receipts I got from the desk and to get me in a cab. I carried my own luggage and did not give them both tickets, smartest thing.

I get in a cab and next to the driver there is another getting in. After existing the domestic terminal they pul-over and start showing me in the dark a plastified piece of paper saying that the transfer costs 2100 Rs, and that what I paid was just parking tax. Having seen that before, I started to laugh (nervously) and tell them that I don't have cash, and that I will pay them either at destination or at Police. After 10 minutes of discussions and price reduction (price came down to 200 rs) they start driving and stop after just 200m next to another taxi. Without any discussion one of them takes my luggae out of the car and move it into another cab who was waiting roadside. The other guy tried to explain that the new cab will take me to the in. terminal with no other charges required, everybody was smilinig, which only made me feel more nervous. After another coupe of minutes I agreed to move on and try my luck with the new cab based on their word .

Luckily on the way we crossed 2 police blocks, and after waving at the first block to the policemen the driver stopped. Policeman confirmed that I will have no issues, I asked him to take down the car number, and from there all went smooth.

Ouch. Sounds like you fell for a similar taxi scam to what I fell for when I was there...http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/12971785-post10.html . It's so stupid they put the prepaid taxi rank relatively far away from the terminal exit (at least at the domestic terminal)...unsuspecting people get caught like this.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 9:32 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Learning for next time, maybe other people will not fall for it . I am sure airport police is in it with the guys...

For transfer, golden rule is to have a printout anyway...
Old Nov 22, 2013, 11:27 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: FlyingBlue | Krisflyer | SPG | HHonors
Domestic-Domestic Transfer in BOM

I was searching for domestic flights between Goa (GOI) and Delhi (DEL) and the searches comes up with domestic flights connecting via BOM. However the itinerary all comes up with short connecting times (35-50 mins). My question is 1) With checked in luggage, will my luggage make it in time for the short connection time?

And 2) How punctual are for domestic flights within India? I do not want to deal with mis-connections and I was wondering if I should just get a separate GOI-BOM and BOM-DEL tickets separately on the same airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.