Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Minimum legal age for alcohol

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2010, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Minimum legal age for alcohol

I know there was a similar question earlier, but it didn't address the ages of the carriers. I'm flying LHR-AMD in a couple of days, and I want to take a couple of bottles of whiskey for the old man. I'm 19 years old.

I'll be carrying them in checked baggage, and I know I shouldn't have any problems at LHR, but what are the chances of me being stopped at AMD, and what are the possible consequences? Is the legal age really 25 in India? Does this apply to possession as well?
Old Jun 1, 2010, 2:06 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by bharat411
IIs the legal age really 25 in India? Does this apply to possession as well?
I don't think there is any legal age for the whole country as a whole.. It ranges from 18 - 25 from what I know with restrictions on its consumption in some NE States and Gujrat..U r landing in Ahmedabad, which since in Gujrat may hv strict rules for this..
Maybe fellow Fter's can give more info on this, but wasnt Gujrat supposed to be a alcohol free state, where offically we were not allowed to even carry alcohol ? Please correct me if I am wrong..
But am sure that the min age is not fixed but ranges as mentioned above..
Old Jun 1, 2010, 6:16 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
If you are 10 and older, you can bring in alcohol into India as part of your luggage:

http://www.cbec.gov.in/customs/cs-ac...s/cs-rulef.htm

The laws of Gujarat however prohibit any consumption of alcohol in the state by indians. NRIs and visiting foreigners are exempt however. Don't know if you fit the bill.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 6:23 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA EXP & UA Gold
Moving to India forum...
Old Jun 1, 2010, 1:04 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Consumption and possession laws are not necessarily one and the same. Certainly the laws do vary within India from state to state and sometimes even at sub-state levels.

The customs allowances are as noted above and are related to possession rather than consumption.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
If you are 10 and older, you can bring in alcohol into India as part of your luggage:

http://www.cbec.gov.in/customs/cs-ac...s/cs-rulef.htm

The laws of Gujarat however prohibit any consumption of alcohol in the state by indians. NRIs and visiting foreigners are exempt however. Don't know if you fit the bill.
Thanks for the link (and info)! Dad's in the air force, so I don't think the law really applies to air bases and such. Regardless, hopefully it goes off without a hitch.

Thanks everybody, and sorry for putting it in the wrong forum ^^
Old Jun 7, 2010, 9:43 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
They wont mess with you if your dad is in the armed forces. Go ahead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.